Canon Lens Stocks

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
A few days ago I was looking for a hood for my EFS 15-85 on Warehouse Express. I found it but it was listed as backorder, i.e., not available, waiting delivery from Canon.

Out of interest I had a look at their selection of Canon lenses and worked out that about 35% were also listed as backorder.

Then a few minutes ago I checked the Canon lenses again and other than pre-orders and specials 49% (27 out of 55 models) were all listed as backorder!

I assume that this is as a result of the tsunami and I wonder how long before the situation improves?

I had exactly the same problem with them and everywhere else too when I was looking for a 24-70.
I had to get a second hand copy in the end,as the only place that had them new in stock wanted £1300+ for them :)

Been trying to get a 24-70L 2.8 for a week now. None of the suppliers I have tried have it in stock. There were rumours of a new version of this lens (21st April release) so I thought that maybe Canon had stopped supplying them. But reading this it could be a more general shortage caused by the tsunami.

Halflap said:
Been trying to get a 24-70L 2.8 for a week now. None of the suppliers I have tried have it in stock. There were rumours of a new version of this lens (21st April release) so I thought that maybe Canon had stopped supplying them. But reading this it could be a more general shortage caused by the tsunami.

Same.problem here in Australia and no one knows when they will get more stock. Could be as late as next year. I tried for 2 weeks to get hold if a D700 (which I believe is out of production now) and got one shipped from Hong Kong through digital rev. I rang and checked they actually had it in stock before I placed the order and they told me I got the last one.

You need a lens hood? Wow, I would have thought your huge ego and enormous attitude problem would have done that job for you. :shrug:

A few days ago I was looking for a hood for my EFS 15-85 on Warehouse Express. I found it but it was listed as backorder, i.e., not available, waiting delivery from Canon.

Out of interest I had a look at their selection of Canon lenses and worked out that about 35% were also listed as backorder.

Then a few minutes ago I checked the Canon lenses again and other than pre-orders and specials 49% (27 out of 55 models) were all listed as backorder!

I assume that this is as a result of the tsunami and I wonder how long before the situation improves?

Last edited:
Just responding in kind to some pointless and useless posts that the OP recently added to one of my threads. Have a look at the general sarcastic and unhelpful tone of posts by the OP on TP - YWSWIM

Just responding in kind to some pointless and useless posts that the OP recently added to one of my threads. Have a look at the general sarcastic and unhelpful tone of posts by the OP on TP - YWSWIM
I haven't seen the other useless and pointless posts but I have seen this one.

Pointless and useless are one thing. Rude personal attacks are another. Please don't indulge in tit for tat postings, report what you think is sarcastic and unhelpful and we'll deal with it accordingly.

Edit: for what it's worth, I agree, the posts you're referring to were uncalled for. OP, if you can't add anything constructive to a thread, don't bother.

A while I am sure. They have more important things to worry about than making lenses right now.

A while I am sure. They have more important things to worry about than making lenses right now.

I'm sure it will be a while and will probably get worse before it gets better, however I am also sure that it has nothing to do with Japan having more important things to do than making lenses?!

One of the most important things for Japan to do now is get their economy back on track and that means increasing industrial output (including lenses) which has shrunk dramatically.

The reasons for reduced manufacturing output is likely lack of power to operate factories fully, problems with infrastructure and problems no doubt with availability of parts.

About 9 hours later and now 56% (31 out of 55 models) are listed as backorder.

At this rate WEX won't have any Canon lenses by next week!!

I've noticed the same thing. I just bought a Canon 60D to upgrade from my 30D, and there's a 10 day lead time on that camera pretty much everywhere, unless I picked up the camera in a store (other than my local one) and as a part of a kit I didn't want. They had everything else in stock, but I have to wait the estimated 10 days to get it.

I've had no further replies from them either, so I've no idea if it'll take 10 days or longer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was nearer a few weeks than 10 days.

I think it's probably a cross between many people "panic buying" and the fact that Canon are more than likely sending less over here at the moment?

I mean the only reason I bought mine now rather than closer to the time of needing it,was due to the indefinite chance of obtaining one the longer I left it!

As I said in my previous post - they're available still,but most are priced really high :(

Lens shortages? Tell me about it. I'm trying to buy about £70,000 worth at present, and you wouldn't believe how hard that is. It currently seems unlikely that I'll be able to do it until well after the summer peak has passed. Which kinda destroys the whole point.

About 9 hours later and now 56% (31 out of 55 models) are listed as backorder.

At this rate WEX won't have any Canon lenses by next week!!

Checked again and now 70% (39 out of 55 models) are listed as backorder!

Just wondering, do Canon only manufacture their lenses in Japan or is any of it made in other places such as Taiwan, like so many other things?

All L glass is made at one of the Japanese plants close to the earthquake I believe.

All L glass is made at one of the Japanese plants close to the earthquake I believe.
Yes. The plant is at Utsonomiya, which is 90km south of Fukushima. If it had been sited a bit further north, we wouldn't be seeing any "L" enses for a long while!

Back