Canon Lenses Decision help..

Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking for a bit of advice please.

As ive posted in previous thread, Im buying some new glass soon to replace my current lenses, Ive decided on the 300f2.8IS and the 70-200f2.8IS. But I would also like walkabout lens, I was initially looking at the 16-35f2.8, but have been thinking that its probably too wide for my uses.

Im now thinking of getting either the 24-105f4IS or 24-70f2.8

My uses are pretty much motorsport based, with indoor car shows thrown in as well, ive got a 50f1.8 for low light stuff, I really cannot decide between the two lenses, I really like IS, but also id like the f2.8 for the motorshows, the 24-70 pairs with the 70-200 perfectly, but perhaps the range overlap the 24-105 offers is more flexible....

Any help or advice is welcome, Thanks Darryn.

Wow you're really putting some cash into this!

Anyway, on topic, Busterboy has the 24-105 and is already talking about offloading it even though he's had it less than 2 weeks!

He brought it to my work for me to have a play with and I really do like it - I would swap my 17-85 for it in an instant (not that anyone would actually do that but I can dream ;)).

f/4.0 at 105mm and IS as well for me makes it a very versatile lens as a walkabout. Granted I would lose the 17mm wide angle but I don't think I'd be overly fussed about that.

[edit] Tim has just put the lens for sale on these forums [/edit]

Ive realised spending money on camera gear is an investment, buy the wrong items and you lose money, buy the right ones and the depreciation is minimal.

Also at the end of the day, £5k for some good lenses might help me learn to take my hobby more seriously.(I know it wont improve my photos though.)

Not sure I can advise you much but.......

I do have the 24-70 2.8 and the 16-35 2.8 that are both used on a 1DMKII.

As you say the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 are just perfect imo.

So if you have any specific questions please ask.

24-70 would probably be my choice as well. Both great lenses but the F2.8 arguably gives you more veratility, close call though.

DreederUK said:
Ive realised spending money on camera gear is an investment

LOL. I hope my missus will buy that! :LOL:

It looks like you are going the same way as I want to with lenses.
i.e. Sell the 100-400L and replace it with a 70-200 IS and 300 F2.8.

Anyway, If you do a lot of indoor car shows then maybe the 24-105 F4 IS is the better option. IS allows more than 1 stop hand holdability so would be of more benefit for that type of thing over the 24-70 F2.8.

Living in poor street ;) my standard lens is a 28-300mm. Ignoring aperture size / IS etc I found that when I was wandering round the pits/paddock at Silverstone I wanted a wider lens , something in the 17-85 range would have been perfect

The 24-70 is the only zoom I own and I use it quite a bit with my 1DsMII for fun, walkaround photography.

I don't think I would go for the 24-105. There is a little bit to much zoom there and I wouldn't like to give up the extra stop. Also, is IS really necesary?

I like the change to your sig ;)

dod said:

I like that too, Why don't you do yours dod..:LOL:

I'll do mine too.:nuts:

I think we should all have a wish list in our sig.:p

dod said:

Aye, ive made the subtle change, im still waiting for Kerso to get in touch to let me know when I can collect the lenses. Ive been and got a nice fat stack of cash for him, and im going to be driving up as soon as he lets me know, 600mile round trip. :bonk:

lon10c said:
The 24-70 is the only zoom I own and I use it quite a bit with my 1DsMII for fun, walkaround photography.

I don't think I would go for the 24-105. There is a little bit to much zoom there and I wouldn't like to give up the extra stop. Also, is IS really necesary?

I bought he 24-105 recently - my first IS lens and its fantastic! And yes the IS is necesary - if you like to take shots of stationary objects in low light. I've managed to get some good shots at stupid shutter speeds.

Its also been used by my wife at a school sports day (IS off!) to great effect - just the right zoom range.

Back