Canon Live View - what is it for?

Name
Amir
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have never used live view and I feel I am missing a trick. When do you use live view? What kind of thing is it particularly good for?

Thanks
Dub

I use it for focussing for astrophotography, and for framing on some occasions when the camera is tripod mounted.

Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing not so long ago! Then I was at FOI in Brum, and was taking some shots at the modelling 'set ups'. Unfortunately, being a shortarse and stuck behind a throng of happy snappers, I couldn't get a shot normally, so I switched into live view, face recognition on, and started shooting away with my camera held high up in the air.

The results were surprisingly good! I'd never make a habit of using my camera in this way, but it does provide the option in certain circumstances. :)

It's funny but sometimes it's a handy tool to have with you. I've used it shooting over a fence/heads to make sure the camera is aligned, then there's the time when you can't autofocus, such as when I put a 2x tc onto my 100-400 lens. That gives me 800mm but manual focus, so you can switch to live view, zoom in 10x and get critical focus.

Yeah as mentioned above I fnd it handy for focusing on the smaller details.

I it's just like a normal digital camera, millions of people use them everyday, despite also having a viewfinder ;)

I use it for focusing on a specific point in a landscape shot and for finding the plane of focus for a self portrait. You can focus on a spot on the ground and get yourself bang in focus this way.
In this shot I focused on the wall I was sitting on and knew I'd be bang on.

Back