Canon LP-E6 Battery & Charging

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife's 70D does not recognises a non-Canon (not counterfeit) LP-E5 battery, I've also heard that a new release of firmware for the 5D3 has introduced a similar "feature". The charger supplied with the 70D refuses to charge the clone battery, so it's clear that Canon are putting more effort into preventing us from using non-Canon batteries.

If Canon were to direct their energy into preventing the use of counterfeit batteries then I would wholeheartedly support this, but when they charge £65 for a battery, I feel that is unreasonable and I don't like feeling that I'm been exploited, after all, we don't see the same effort being applied to prevent the use of Tamron or Sigma lenses.

The battery works in my 7D and the charger provided with the 7D charges the battery without argument. Both chargers are the same model and part number but the one supplied with the 70D has clearly been "upgraded" to detect non-Canon batteries. There is a Product Advisory notice on Canon's web site advising that some genuine Canon batteries may be caught out by their "clone detection mechanism" - my words, not theirs, but the result is the same.

Does anyone know of battery suppliers who's products are compatible with Canon's latest chargers and camera firmware? Alternatively how about a compatible charger?

I avoid cheapest batteries as they are bound to be poor quality and short life, but I've had satisfactory experiences with mid price range batteries in my 7D.

Any thoughts?

Chris

I just sucked it up and bought an official one off Amazon for £55.

I've only ever used OEM batteries, I've always preferred to use them on the basis of if there were a battery malfunction that affects the camera it leaves no wiggle room for the manufacturer to get out of it being their issue, for me the 5D3 currently retails at what about £2350 so the battery at £60 equates to about 2.5% of the camera value...that said I appreciate that on lower priced bodies that value soon rises...but I have to applaud canon for the fact that so many of their camera now take a standard battery (y)

Give your missus the Canon battery from your 7D, you only need to buy one other non-Canon then as you have already mentioned having a cheaper spare that works ok in your camera.

I also only buy the Canon batteries, not a fortune and last for years although daresay makes like Hahnel and Energiser are fine if they charge and get recognised

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I know it makes sense using original Canon batteries, I suppose I may have to get used to it.

Chris

I recently put a Hahnel battery in my 5d3 for the first time. I got a message warning me of something or other but it soon started to function.

But I've had the battery for 2+ years and I'm sure it doesn't last as long as a genuine Canon one. Probably best to stick with Canons, I suggest, for that reason alone.

I use nothing but third party batteries in my 7D and 5d MK II (except for the ones supplied with the cameras). Some of the older ones aren't recognised but still work, the only issue being the battery level meter shows empty so you don't know when it's gonna run out. No big shakes if you carry spares. The newer ones I bought are decoded so the cameras do recognise them. I also use third party chargers which are cheap as chips. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices Canon charge for batteries, it's a joke.

My experience with canon batteries is mixed. I have a 6 year old 40d. The battery that came with the camera would hold charge well but not as well as the cheapo batteries from 7dayshop. The Canon battery recently died but 3 cheapo batteries are working great after 6 years.

I also have a 7d. The LPE6 supplied with the camera lasted just months and will not hold charge now. 4 equivalent cheapo batteries from 7 day shop work great. The 4 batteries cost me less then £50.00.

Just my experience. So £65 for an LPE6 that lasted 3 months would not be good value IMO. But I am sure this is a one off too, but I don't place a Canon battery as superior. For me it makes more sense not to buy Canon batteries if I can help it.

Last edited:
Just hope they don't start doing this with CCs cameras,i used to use Nikon ones with my Nikon DSLR,but most CCs cameras have a really bad battery life 300/400 shots so you need plenty of spares, so have quite a few of non makers battery now.

Panasonic chipped their cameras/batteries a while ago if memory serves correctly

I use nothing but third party batteries in my 7D and 5d MK II (except for the ones supplied with the cameras). Some of the older ones aren't recognised but still work, the only issue being the battery level meter shows empty so you don't know when it's gonna run out. No big shakes if you carry spares. The newer ones I bought are decoded so the cameras do recognise them. I also use third party chargers which are cheap as chips. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices Canon charge for batteries, it's a joke.

I have the same cameras and do exactly the same. 6 batteries in total and only the two genuine ones that camera with the cameras.

No issues so far and more money left in my wallet because of it.

I had quite a few non genuine batteries when I had a 7D and 5D3. After updating the firmware for the 5D3 1 battery wouldn't work at all and most of the rest came up with a message about compatibility but still worked. I eventually decided to have a search and got some genuine batteries at a decent price as I had a job lot. I since got a 70D and all the batteries work perfectly in both bodies. I really didn't want to risk a failure at a critical moment but I know there are some 3rd party batteries that do work perfectly in the cameras. I think it's a really bad form from Canon, and all the other manufacturers who do the same, that they have to try and monopolise everything to do with their product. Maybe next they'll try to stop the use of 3rd party lenses to get even more money in.

It's interesting to hear everyone's point of view - at least I'm not the only one to feel that Canon are trying a bit too hard to maximise their profits on battery sales.

Chris

Is there any difference between Canon protecting their market and a photographer watermarking an image?

Bob

Is there any difference between Canon protecting their market and a photographer watermarking an image?

Bob

That's an interesting analogy Bob, thanks for joining the discussion.

As we know watermarks can provide the benefit of some protection of illegal copying or use of the image. Creating a clone battery is not, as far as know illegal, providing there is no pretence of selling the battery as a Canon branded product. I wouldn't buy a counterfeit battery, but there's nothing illegal in buying a clone battery. Car exhausts and batteries etc. come to mind. How many people buy genuine Ford or Vauxhall batteries etc.

Chris

I wasn't doubting the legality of cloning but highlighting that organisations, companies and individuals all try to avoid other parties profiting at their expense.
Cloning a battery is very much like producing cover version of a sound track or Ford reverse engineering a Mercedes 450 and sticking their own badge on it. They're all based around using another person's efforts and producing a cheaper copy.

Bob

Last edited:
At one time third party car parts were not available until about three years after the introduction of a new model and Apple defended their battery patent with the threat of legal action.

I can understand how a manufacturer wants to keep sales, but I am sure they could do it much more easily by selling items at a more realistic cost. Pretty sure most people wouldn't mind paying an extra fiver to get the genuine article.

In most cases the real thing is of better quality, wired remotes come to mind, but yet again they are ridiculously priced compared to Ebay knock offs

Just noticed this thread and thought I would share my experience.
I also have a 70D and purchased the official grip for it. I bought 2 Hahnel equivalent batteries for £27 each from Amazon. I have had no issues at all
with these batteries. The charger works fine and they are recognised by the camera.
As others have said the price of official batteries is a rip offand I find the Hahnel just as good.

Just noticed this thread and thought I would share my experience.
I also have a 70D and purchased the official grip for it. I bought 2 Hahnel equivalent batteries for £27 each from Amazon. I have had no issues at all
with these batteries. The charger works fine and they are recognised by the camera.
As others have said the price of official batteries is a rip offand I find the Hahnel just as good.

It looks as though you have found the middle ground Derek, in between the poorly performing cheap and nasty clones and the premium priced Canon branded batteries. Thanks for posting your experience.

Chris

I am using 2 of the Dot.Foto brand batteries purchased off an Amazon seller which I rotate with the original Canon battery in my 70d, up to now they seem to be working just like the Canon battery both in the camera and original charger.

For my 7D, I had one Hahnel that wouldn't chage in the official Canon charger, but would work fine in the camera. I got a grip and 2 extra 3rd party batteries, and to make life easier, got a Hahnel (I think) double-battery charger which charges all batteries fine, and you still have a charge indicator.

I can see why Canon put a premium on their batteries, but think it's about £30 to much - surely £5-10 more is more sensible? Same as their macro extension tubes which are massively over-priced considering there's no glass in them.

i brought my 4 spares from ebay they are originals from people selling up
at about £25 each so not to bad

i tried oem but they all failed after a few months of use and stopped charging
(7D - 5D mkii)

Back