Canon M5 (Not the M50) or Fuji X-T20

Edit My Images
No
Currently have the M3 and fancy a change. I say not eh M50 as I think it look plasticy and prefer the extra dials of the M5

Contenders are the Canon M5 or Fuji X-T20

Camera used mainly for holiday still although some video when in the mood

Phil V

Suspended / Banned
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I’m not sure what the question is...

What else do you have? How many lenses do you have that you want to keep or buy equivalents for?

I first went mirrorless with a Fuji (I have Canon DSLRs) and a small ‘holiday’ lens collection was going to cst me around a grand, when Canon launched the M5 I knew I’d buy one, because it means I can use all my current kit.

They’re both perfectly capable cameras, in an ideal world I’d own an Xpro and small lens collection, but for me the M5 is a no brainer, I only need a couple of M lenses (still might get the 32 later)

OP
OP
petrolhead
Edit My Images
No
Hi Phil, you replied to my bag thread, thanks

All I have in the mirrorless is the M3 with the kit lens so not ties to any particular brand.

I must also add that I am a Canon user having a 6D and several lenses so I may be better of sticking with the brand but still open to thoughts.

Also if going the Canon route I am struggling to decide M5 or M6. I suppose the question is how good, importane, usefull is the M5's EVF

Last edited:
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
If you already shoot Canon outside of this option then as Phil says, it's a no-brainer. Add the EF - Eos M adapter into the budget, from what I gather the lenses behave just as good as native when adapted to the M series

Edit My Images
No
Love my M5 ... but I'm pretty sure most X-T20 users love their Fuji :)

Regarding the EVF, to me it was an absolute must ... I hate taking pictures with my phone purely because half the time I can't see a thing on the screen and I had the same problem with the original M (which I sold and despite missing it didn't bother again until the M5).The EVF solved that problem for me and I use the camera all the time now, preferring it over my crop and FF bodies most of the time.

Makes a big difference with video as well.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
If you already shoot Canon outside of this option then as Phil says, it's a no-brainer. Add the EF - Eos M adapter into the budget, from what I gather the lenses behave just as good as native when adapted to the M series
As mentioned...Yep M5 is great. Fuji great (XT2 ). M5 + adapter works great with ef lens.

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I was deciding between EOS M and Fuji X last year, what swung it for me was the quality and range of the Fuji lenses available withour needing an adaptor.