Beginner Canon M50 Poor Low Light

Edit My Images
Yes
Out an about, this camera has taken some fantastic photos in the daylight. However family events inside, the ISO on the camera needs to be set quite high to make anything usable.
The issue I have is that snapping a photo on my Google Pixel phone, yields much much better quality photos (even in RAW) for printing and use at 6x4.

Coming from a 70D, with a fixed f4 lens there has to be a compromise, but I can't help but think there is too much noise on the indoor photos it produces https://mobdro.bio/.

I'm only using the kit lens at the moment which isn't going to help, and I do have a flash gun, but its twice the size of the camera and throws it off balance making it a nightmare to use.

As an example, this is the type of noise I get inside at about 30% of the actual size https://kodi.bio/. This was taken at 3pm, light coming direct from the window behind
y3ixPRj.png

Has anyone got some suggestions on what my first step to getting better indoor photos with this camera could be? Faster lens? A more compact flash gun?

I love its form factor, but not the low light quality.

Last edited:
What lens are you using? The M50 has the same sensor as the 80D so it's actually slightly better than your 70D.

I have a M5 (same sensor) that I use when I don't want to carry my main camera and I find it pretty good considering it's a crop sensor, when indoors I mainly use a Canon adapted 17-55mm f/2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. Flash wise I carry a little 270 EXII which is small enough not to look silly and still does the job.

I'd be surprised if a phone is better but I suppose it depends how we define better. It may be down to the phone bashing the picture with nuclear warhead level processing so it may look pleasing... but maybe show weakness when looking closer?

Also boosting the exposure post capture can cause problems. Dunno if you do that but if you do it might be worth altering your technique.

What lens are you using? The M50 has the same sensor as the 80D so it's actually slightly better than your 70D.

I have a M5 (same sensor) that I use when I don't want to carry my main camera and I find it pretty good considering it's a crop sensor, when indoors I mainly use a Canon adapted 17-55mm f/2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. Flash wise I carry a little 270 EXII which is small enough not to look silly and still does the job.
This^
Unfortunately Canon didn't produce a ton of great M lenses, which is a shame as the cameras deserve better. The 22mm is my favourite native lens on the M cameras, followed by the 85mm on an adaptor.

Back