Canon or Epson Photo Printer

Edit My Images
Yes
I need new cartridges and at the price they cost - £20+ for a black and then theres the tricolour cartridge (which isnt exactly brilliant quality):hissyfit: . Im thinking now might be a good time to get a whole new printer.

Im interested in these multi cartridge printers that Epson and Canon or selling, needs to be A4, dont want multifuntion - just a photo quality printer. I know absolutely nothing regarding theses manufacturers printers as I have always used HP in the past.:nut:

I hear that Epsons are prone to ink blockage, but have more vibrant colours than Canon. Also pigment based inks that dont fade - true or bull.
Im not too fussed about built in LCD preview displays and card readers, but if they are present then so be it.
Also interested in how many prints you get out of a cartridge set - just rough estimates. And importantly how much does a cartridge set cost + how many units makes a set (hear some use upto 8 cartridges now).

Give me your recommendations please - do I buy more ink:ponders: or upgrade (help me decide)

Thanks in advance:thumb:

have you considered online printing instead of the printer worries, ive not printed myself for years, i just couldnt get quality i was looking for, but do via online, and find it cheap although long term perhaps the costs outweigh the home printing.

barrymoir said:
have you considered online printing instead of the printer worries, ive not printed myself for years, i just couldnt get quality i was looking for, but do via online, and find it cheap although long term perhaps the costs outweigh the home printing.
Michael Barrymoir (?) is spot on.

Its very rare that I print photos at home, as its cheaper and less hassle to get somebody else to do them, whether its in Jessops, Boots, photobox.co.uk, or wherever else.

I wouldn't have another Epson printer if i lived to be 100. As you say they are prone to blocking unless you're using it literally every day, and even then it will probably still happen eventually.

Printers are handy to have, though, for printing letters and such, so I don't think the 'forget the printer and buy it all online' option is really a complete solution to the problem.

I'd stick with HP. But, gun to me head, Canon or Epson, I'd go Canon.

I've said this in another thread but... I've owned an Epson R200 for just over a year now, it has not blocked up on me once and I get carts for about £8 the set. Print quality is stunning.

I have always owned Epsons, some earlier models are prone to blocking but are very easily cleared. I posted a how-to a couple of months back.

My last Epson didn't block up either (C830u) the one before that did (Photo740) both are still in use now in friends/family houses.

I have to agree with Steep, I've had my Epson R300 for a couple of years, use it very infrequently, and have yet to experience a jet blockage. The print quality is indeed stunning. :smilenod:

I came to the same conclusion. I have a HP 970cxi in its box in the loft - it was cheaper to buy an epson R200 than get new ink for the HP.
My epson has had a slight blockage problem once which was cured by a single cleaning cycle.

I have no problems with compatible carts and they cost less than £1 each. The HP was much faster than the epson but as mentioned above I would never consider printing more than one or two photos myself. Online is easier cheaper and better. Ignoring Ink and time involved just buying the photo paper is expensive.

Think it is the r220 now as the 200 is obsolete - same carts though.

I have recently started to use my Photo stylus 950 after about a year of sitting on the desk not even plugged in.

Cleaned the heads 3 times, banged in a couple of new carts and the print quality is stunning.

7day have always been the cheapest place I can find for the carts.

I only use my R200 for custom sizes/crops , excellent quality & it's never blocked :) however my old epson (photo 750/800) did suffer from blocking :(.

For standard size prints I use photobox , it works out cheaper

Well someone will have to put in a word for Canon. I've had two Epsons and have three Canons (4i Laser printer, S500 and Pixma4000. Both Epsons had clogging problems to the point where they were only binable. Now I know that isn't a fare damnation of Epson but one tends to learn from ones own experience.

All my Canons have extremely good build and reliabilty and don't clog. I use the Pixma for colour prints and they give very good quality and economy with compatibles - and if there is a future problem with the nozzles I can just change the print head.

Having said that, I think people will have their favourite, based on past experience but if you are buying new I would recommend you look at the Pixma range. There's one to suit all levels and pockets.

regards

I think most makes have moved on from the clogging days now.

We had an office full of early canon inkjets and spent way too much time running print heads under a tap trying to unblock them. That was why we went to HP - new print head with every cart. All carts were expensive then so it made more sense.

i too have an Epson R300, these can be got for £80 now, as i think there is a replacement ( R320 ? ) but i dont think its much of a technical leap forward, just new shape and the monitor comes with it ,

i used to have an epson photo 890 , and b4 that an epson photo 700,

never had any trouble from any of them,

however, if your after quality prints from your pix, then online, or even goin into the high street will give ( sometimes ) better/cheaper results in the end for mass printing,
but for one off , creative pix, print em urself

MyPix

I have used canon for several years now and am currently using an i9950, I have had no problems with these printers at all. My theory is that canon make cameras and so should know how to make a printer to print the pictures. I have found that the paper you use to print your photographs can make a big difference to the finished product. when laying different papers next to one another some are not even white!!!!!

barrymoir said:

GfK said:
Michael Barrymoir (?) is spot on.

Its very rare that I print photos at home, as its cheaper and less hassle to get somebody else to do them, whether its in Jessops, Boots, photobox.co.uk, or wherever else.

I wouldn't have another Epson printer if i lived to be 100. As you say they are prone to blocking unless you're using it literally every day, and even then it will probably still happen eventually.

Printers are handy to have, though, for printing letters and such, so I don't think the 'forget the printer and buy it all online' option is really a complete solution to the problem.

I'd stick with HP. But, gun to me head, Canon or Epson, I'd go Canon.

I think both the view above hold a lot more weight if were talking about printing off the traditional 'Family Album' 6x4's............

If you are going to print off a lot of A4 or A3's then IMHO I think the home printer is King..... when you look at how much some internet sites charge (Photobox) A4 = £2.50....A3=£7.99 :shock: taking into account paper and ink I think the convenience of being able to print off images when required is worth while.

Must be luck of the draw because I have an Epson printer on (touch wood) never had a print head bloke yet :ponders:

Thanks for the info people, I realize the benefits of online printing, but the fact remains I will still have a printer for proof purposes, and as Mr THX says its much more convenient, I do print most at A4 size just for clarity.

If its an album of shots or I really need a high quality finish that will endure then I would get them done online, but even then I would still print off a few myself to make sure the colours were fairly accurate (hence my previous request for info regarding colour calibration - thanks for your info there too;)).

Back