Canon or sigma 24 70

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all this is driving me a little mad canon 24 70 mki 2.8 or the sigma 24 70 2.8 hsm both have good reviews And on pixel peeper picture samples look great it's the price jump will I be always looking over the fence if I don't get the canon

Hi,

Really it's a case of personal preference. My advice would be to go into a store and try both lenses on your camera. See how they both feel and operate and maybe your decision will be easier.

I have owned and professionally used many, many lenses over the years and I can honestly say I have never been 100% happy with any lens from Sigma. In my experience they have just not been as good as anything from the Canon L range.

This is only my experience and many will have other opinions.

Also I should say I have never been 100% happy with anything from Tokina or Tamron either.

I own the Canon 24-70 f2.8 and in general I am happy with this lens. it operates well and gives consistently acceptable results.

Whatever you choose I really hope you get the right lens for you. good luck

Roy

www.royriley.co.uk

On the flip side I've been happy with all 8 sigmas I've had :)

Got the 24-70hsm and it's tack sharp wide open (the previous owner did have it calibrated). I believe there are 2 versions of the sigma, if I remember rightly the newer version is the better.

I will try to find a shop that has the lenses jessops is the closest store but they never seem to have anything in stock!

if your near chelmsford try the camera world store great guy's in there and normally have good stock levels

I have made loads of equipment mistakes. I cannot recommend enough actually taking the time to go to a good dealer and try out whatever kit you are thinking of. I know it's often tricky with stock levels and such but it really is worth the effort.

I have been known to take my laptop and actually drop a few frames on each lens to test sharpness and effect.

All the best

Roy

www.royriley.co.uk

I had the same decision to make and although I didn't see much difference in quality between the 2 options, the canon L lens its nearly bomb proof in build quality.
I also thought that if I didn't buy the canon version I would always wish I'd bought it instead of the sigma. I know its a stupid reason but thats how I decided.

Hang on in there as I'm going to make it even harder for you

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC (VC is vibration Control or in Canon speak Image Stabilisation )

A full-size, high-speed standard zoom with built-in VC ( Vibration Compensation). Even when shooting in low-light conditions with a slow shutter speed to render sharpness, Tamron’s acclaimed VC allows for stable handheld camera work, to more fully enjoy the benefits of this high-speed zoom lens.

Uses special high-grade glass in the three LD elements, three glass molded aspherical lenses, one hybrid aspherical lens and two XR (Extra Refractive Index) glasses, delivering top-of-the-class quality images suited to this high-grade lens. Using a rounded diaphragm, the lens achieves gorgeous blur effects. This rounded diaphragm retains a nearly circular shape even when taken two stops down from its fully open state.

Features Tamron proprietary USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual mechanism.
This high-speed standard zoom lens has a wide-end focal length of 24mm that expands the photographic area.

The lens adopts the new technology including the latest optical design, VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive), all in a lighter and more compact package.

Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent water from penetrating the lens.

Last edited:
I'm more than happy with the Sigma that I've got. Good IQ, rapid, accurate focusing and smaller than the Canon version.

Agree with Acetone, I too am waiting on the release of the Tamron 24-70 and will make a decision once people have started to review and use this lens. Thankfully I don't need the lens until the end of August, so not in a rush to buy.

According to B&H in New York, it being shipped in the USA from the 26th April at $1299; the Canon MK1 is $1330 and the Sigma HSM is $825 on their site. I haven't found any UK info yet, or seen anywhere with a pre-order price.

i never get that whole looking over the fence thing, if you try the other makes and they perform how you want then why fork out the extra cash for something youre not going to use/notice?

I'm a Nikon user, but also have the Sigma 24-70, and have found it to be a pin sharp lens. Although I have the money to buy a the Nikon version, I just can't justify changing it.

Canon is pretty good, I certainly wouldn't trade it for a stigma. If sharpness, contrast and colour are more important than price that is.

Nope. Not sure I get your point there at all?

MDC029.jpg

100% crop (which I hate doing!)

MDC029-closeup.jpg

Lol jessops well let's say we might have some stock err next month lol I had a go of the sigma 12 24 tho deft on list but all these new lenses and I have still got my 400d lol just can't make my mind up I want 5d mkiii was going for mkii but after reading on forums about mkiii and pics I will w8 for mkiii to be a better price but thanks for all the advice guys at least I will have updated all my lenses the 85mm 1.8 has a place in my bag this is. Never ending :bonk:

Will be interesting to see what this new Tamron lens is like, I have both the Tamron 28-75 and canon 24-70 and would be more than happy taking the Tamron shooting if I haven't got the canon to hand.

Back