Canon or Sigma 70-200f2.8?

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering buying a 70-200 f2.8 lens mainly for lowlight wildlife use. I don't want to spend a lot of money and am considering either the Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L or Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 apo dg os hsm, as both fit my price range secondhand. Does anyone have first hand experience with these lenses? I wonder if the Sigma with their version of image stabilisation is any comparison to the basic Canon non IS?
Any help would be welcome.

I've had a Sigma 70-200 (non OS) for about 8 years, never once regretted the decision :)

these are took with my sigma today.on a canon 60d

Attachments

• IMG_1570-4-crop-2.JPG
    IMG_1570-4-crop-2.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1572-crop.JPG
    IMG_1572-crop.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 25
Which model do you have mrgubby? Is it the original or the mark ii?

I've not used the Sigma but I absolutely love my Canon 70-200, I would never part with it.

So many threads on this already, would be worth searching the forum.

Thank you Jim - I did have a quick look earlier but now have seen some useful threads which have helped me. I think I'll be going the Canon route but may take a day or two to make my final decision.
Any further comments would still be appreciated.
Thank you all for your comments so far though.

I have tried the sigma and to be honest it was a heavy lens. I settled for a canon 70-200 f4is it's only 1stop and so much lighter. Miner travels the world

Thank you Jim - I did have a quick look earlier but now have seen some useful threads which have helped me. I think I'll be going the Canon route but may take a day or two to make my final decision.
Any further comments would still be appreciated.
Thank you all for your comments so far though.
FWIW I have the Sigma (HSM mk2 non OS) and it's a great lens. The current OS is supposed to be even better.

I know you said Canon or Sigma, but I really think you should consider the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Just an update - I've just purchased a mint condition Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 Apo Dg Os hsm on EBay for £420 so happy with that.
Thanks to all who contributed and offered their advice and experiences.

Yes I will do, should get it midweek so I'll give it a work out and hopefully come back with positives.

Back