Canon or sigma ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Might be a stupid question and i know ill have a few :thinking:

but which lens should i pick between a Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM or a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Would i be right in thinking its a no brainer to stick to a canon lens

Thanks in advance

Neither are great, but the Canon lens is awful! You'd be better off saving and buying the Canon 70-300 IS USM (about £400). Or it thats too much, the excellent Canon 55-250 IS for about £150 which is a belter of a lens. Waaaaay better than that horrible 75-300 (and you'd be surprised how little the extra 50m would give you).
Oh, and welcome!

Last edited:
My son has the Siggy and he says its very variable in terms of results, it can mis-focus, look very soft etc (he has a 30D) it may also be that it wont work if you buy another camera (in the future) as they are reverse "engineered" to work with Canon bodies, so fine when you buy them to go onto a current model but can suffer later on in not working.
The Canon can be a little soft at 300 according to the reviews I read, just depends how fussy you are and if you take price in to consideration.

Matt

I think that the Siggy compatibility issue is with film days to digital days. ie. Siggy lenses designed in the days of film may not work with Canon DSLR's. I've not personally heard of any Siggy lenses designed for DSLR's needing rechipping. But of course we don't know what Canon will do in the future... they could ditch the EF or EF-S mount like when they ditched the FD.

woof woof said:
I think that the Siggy compatibility issue is with film days to digital days. ie. Siggy lenses designed in the days of film may not work with Canon DSLR's. I've not personally heard of any Siggy lenses designed for DSLR's needing rechipping. But of course we don't know what Canon will do in the future... they could ditch the EF or EF-S mount like when they ditched the FD.

The 150-500 had issues on 40D's and 50D's early on and I think there have been some other minor cases. You don't hear much about it because as soon as the issue is discovered, sigma quickly update the chips in new lenses they produce, so only units produced before the problem was noted need rechipping.

It's only really a potential issue on lenses designed for film though, certainly wouldn't and hasn't put me off buying any sigma lenses.

My lad bought a brand new Sigma 70/300 about 4/5 years ago, worked fine on his 10D, he upgraded to a 20D and the lens wouldnt work. Sigma couldnt re-chip but did him quite a good deal i.e. half price on the one he has now, which still isnt a stellar performer. I dont think the "glitches" are just on lenses designed for film cameras but wider spread. I have a 15/30 (Sigma) and to be fair it works on all my cameras including the wife's 50D and I am sure it ws designed/built well before the 50D was around.

Neither are great, but the Canon lens is awful! You'd be better off saving and buying the Canon 70-300 IS USM (about £400). Or it thats too much, the excellent Canon 55-250 IS for about £150 which is a belter of a lens. Waaaaay better than that horrible 75-300 (and you'd be surprised how little the extra 50m would give you).
Oh, and welcome!

The only reason iv picked cheaper lenses is its going to be a present from a elder family member and i didn't want to a) take cash or b) take the biscuit but they are adamant they want to buy me a lens

So the 55-250 IS looks a better bet then :thinking:

Last edited:
Plasticdogz said:
The only reason iv picked cheaper lenses is its going to be a present from a elder family member and i didn't want to a) take cash or b) take the biscuit but they are adamant they want to buy me a lens

So the 55-250 IS looks a better bet then :thinking:

The 55-250 is a very good lens indeed, much better than lenses costing three times the price, it's a great little lens!

Lol I meant the 75-300mm, and as a beginner it's fine for me. Obviously not as good as the more expensive lenses and wouldn't be good enough for you pro's.

Last edited:
Lol I meant the 75-300mm, and as a beginner it's fine for me. Obviously not as good as the more expensive lenses and wouldn't be good enough for you pro's.

You really find it alright?? I never take mine anywhere with me, I only have it as it was an extra kit lens with the 500D and I find it near to useless, only near too though as on a calm, bright day and with a tripod you can get a useable shot

Back