Canon or Sony camera???

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

So now after long time and new releases of cameras [and lenses] it became difficult to decide on something, they all became good enough in many areas and can't wrong with any, but can't go with all or 2 at least, so we keep asking questions here and there.

For me, i am looking to replace my current gear, i can hold longer but if i have the opportunity to do why not, it all depends on the sale of my current gear, if i get good offers then i will go with new replacement and never look back, if not then no hard to ask anyway.

I have my Sony A7R as my main body for landscapes and outdoor as cityscape or street[i don't shoot street but it is there to shoot if needed] and even architecture, and my 1DX is for sports and action, i am happy with 1DX so i am not thinking to replace it or sell it, only if i can buy 1DX II then 1DX will be a backup body, so 1DX is out of selling equation.

I have 1Ds3 which is not in use at all now, it was my top favorite or main camera where the Sony is now, so this camera can be for sale, and i still have 1Ds2 which is long time ago out of use, i can put this for sale too, and there is also 5D original one [not mkII or mkIII], so i can offer 4 bodies for sale in favor of 2, but i am thinking i should only sacrifice 2 and have 1 new body, i don't think i have good sale for both 4 so i can afford 2 bodies.

So from above, my replacement cameras i am thinking about are:
1. Sony A7rII
2. Canon 5DsR

Which one will you go with if you have current above gear as i have? don't put reasons about no need or no budget and can't afford and blah blah blah, it is just open discussion and at the end it is my decision if i can afford or no, and i said i may not able to afford both, but if one of them which one is more appealing or you prefer?

Any details you need or answers from me just ask, i will answer with what you need to recommend/suggest me.

I was really keen to get a 5DSR to replace my 5D2 until the reviews came out, then I decided I'd probably be better off holding out for the 5D4. The Sony A7rII is my backup plan if the 5D4 takes an age to materialise, or doesn't make as much sense as the Sony. I'd really like to upgrade either way before August this year, in time for a planned trip.

Personally I'd get the Sony A7R2 since you have the A7R and use it for landscapes etc. I have the A7R for landscapes and love it but from what I've read and seen the version 2 is much more versatile with better AF, no shutter shock etc so with that and your 1DX you would cover all bases.

Ok, thanks!

So, 5DsR isn't that good enough? i love A7R over all my Canon DSLR so far, but i didn't test 5DsR, the DR with Sony is something lovely, still people talking about that Canon is behind Nikon/Sony in that regard, so is that 5DsR too?

What about 42mp vs. 50mp? i know many don't care about mp anymore, but aren't you go with little more mp or this is not a big main factor you decide for? and from 36mp to 42mp maybe isn't that huge different, but how about 36mp to 50mp?

For me i am not much about big mp because i still have a huge mp camera than Canon/Nikon and Sony still behind, but it is no hard if i can have big mp on DSLR/mirrorless if necessary, your thought?

The huge MP of the 5dsr is its undoing, higher ISO images are quite noisy, especially compared to the 5d3 and 6d.

I have all 3 of the a72 series and a 5dsr .... I'm selling the 5dsr to get a 1dx ii stick with the Sony it makes sense

The huge MP of the 5dsr is its undoing, higher ISO images are quite noisy, especially compared to the 5d3 and 6d.

High ISO is another story, is that A7RII high ISO better too? but i mostly won't use high ISO in those applications from any of those cameras, unless i do shoot portraits in very low light, but most of my shooting are away from very high ISO capability so it will be only pure mp and focus and say DR and such.

I have all 3 of the a72 series and a 5dsr .... I'm selling the 5dsr to get a 1dx ii stick with the Sony it makes sense

Lucky you!

So you didn't like 5DsR that you want to sell it, what exactly you didn't like about it, only high ISO performance? something else?

I am really thinking about going with Sony over Canon, i have 2 bodies or 3 i can sacrifice to get Sony A7RII, but i can start to save a lot until nearly end of this year so then i can afford both A7RII and 5DsR, but i have a feeling that i won't use both at same level, Sony making great in their mirrorless cameras, A7R proved to be a capable camera, and A7RII said to be an improvement not just mp, and i feel if i get A7RII i won't think about 5DsR, but if i only shoot landscapes and nightshots at lowest ISO, how can you compare the quality between the 2 with same lens?

1DXII could be my future plan in next years, i am still holding strong with 1DX, and from one site there is a hidden hint about Canon thinking about producing 1DV and 1DsV, from those two even just a dream i am more going with 1DV than 1DX II.

tbh I bought the a7rii at the same time as the 5dsr 3 and fgor my uses the 7r2 is much much better for how I shoot.............. not saying everyone will be the same

1dxii looks a beast keeping my money until I can rent one/fiddle with one though

tbh I bought the a7rii at the same time as the 5dsr 3 and fgor my uses the 7r2 is much much better for how I shoot.............. not saying everyone will be the same

1dxii looks a beast keeping my money until I can rent one/fiddle with one though

Lucky you, i was lucky before but not anymore, so that i am trying to choose things wisely, and i can't stop this GAS anyway, and when i ask i know that there are others did it before me like you, and you had those 2 cameras i asked about means i am the only one think about them, i just hate others who buy whatever and then tell others not to, i respect if they just give opinion or suggest or advice, but i know someone think i am wasting money and looking at his gear i feel ashamed about mine, so if i ask and someone with experience giving me his honest opinion or let's say his impression or experience about what he used this will be a good help for me, i want others to ignore about my gear or my budget even if i waste money, at the end it is my money, i ask only about comparisons and situations if someone is open to choose and afford one or 2 items.

Well if u want my opinion they are very similar I want to shoot wildlife and sport a bit more hence going 1dx ii eventually... (sony don't have long enough fe lens) if I already owned a 1dx I would get an a7r2 just my personal opinion though

Well if u want my opinion they are very similar I want to shoot wildlife and sport a bit more hence going 1dx ii eventually... (sony don't have long enough fe lens) if I already owned a 1dx I would get an a7r2 just my personal opinion though

Ok, fair enough, sounds i should stay with sony option then and ignore that of 5DsR, at the end i am not losing much if no 5DsR, i was happy with 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 for years and they are 16/22mp so almost nearly half of what i use nowadays, and i will try hard to put my H4D-60 in use, just type of lenses aren't helping much and the lack of long exposure shutter speed, i can't afford another MF model even if i sell it, but i will try to give it more chance, it is more towards photography in studio or with lights than outdoor with filters and long exposures.

Back