Beginner Canon or tamron?

Name
James Franklin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been on here in months maybe a year or so. I currently have a canon eos 500d with efs-18-55mm and a efs-55-250mm but I was wondering I would like a compact lens that can do both save carrying both lens all the time.
I found theses 2 on Amazon and was wondering if they would help me improve my photography and make life a little easier?
Tamron 28-300 mm Di VC PZD Lens For Canon DSLR Cameras

Or

Tamron AF 16-300 mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Lens for Canon

Many thanks James.

Well they won't improve your photography, nor will they improve your image quality, but they will make life easier. But then so would leaving the camera at home and using your phone.

To cover the range you have, the 28mm isn't close to being wide enough, so the other one makes more sense.

Phil's right. Zooms covering a very wide range offer convenience, but there's usually a significant loss of image quality unless you're prepared to pay the premium for something like the Canon EF 28-300mm L.

The Tamron AF 16-300 mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD won't improve your photography, but these lenses have their place and suit some people. Just be aware of their limitations.

What about the 18-135mm lens? Gives you reasonable reach and is designed for APS-C so should work on your camera fine.

Funny how someone else wants a single lens that covers a reasonable distance instead of two lenses, and there's me saving for a 17-55 f/2.8 and lusting after a 70-200mm instead of my 18-135.

I recently bought a Sigma 18-200 with a specific venue in mind, my 70-300 was great for track shots but no use in the paddock, and I didn't want to carry the 18-55 lens around as well and swap over. I can't say I'm necessarily disappointed, but the images (some of which are in my CPOP thread) aren't necessarily as pin-sharp as I'd like. I can't say it's the fault of the lens, but others have commented here and elsewhere that there's an element of compromise - mine wasn't expensive though, so that might have something to do with it.

What about the 18-135mm lens? Gives you reasonable reach and is designed for APS-C so should work on your camera fine.

Funny how someone else wants a single lens that covers a reasonable distance instead of two lenses, and there's me saving for a 17-55 f/2.8 and lusting after a 70-200mm instead of my 18-135.
And I've just fallen in love with my new 35mm 1.4, and I'm now saving for a 135 f2. It all hangs on your priorities.

Okey Dokey guys, so it's not going to be an improvement but buying that lens say wouldn't make my images any worse than what I have been taking with the 55-250mm lens? It's just some times I struggle when I'm out just casually and taking 2 lens are awkward that's all but I'm trying to some how meet in the middle of quality and easyness.

Hope this makes sense
Many thanks James.

Okey Dokey guys, so it's not going to be an improvement but buying that lens say wouldn't make my images any worse than what I have been taking with the 55-250mm lens? It's just some times I struggle when I'm out just casually and taking 2 lens are awkward that's all but I'm trying to some how meet in the middle of quality and easyness.

Hope this makes sense
Many thanks James.
Lenses don't make good images, photographers do.

But that doesn't mean the equipment is irrelevant, in fact it means the opposite, it means the equipment you use has to be easy for you to use to create the images you want. It's both simple 'use whatever makes you happy' and complicated 'if it'll help get the images you want'.

The problem here is that lots of people aim for convenient, then complain when the easy option doesn't allow them to do what they want.

Personally if I wanted an 'all in one' solution, I'd buy a super zoom compact, because the small improvement gained from the increased sensor size in the DSLR has a huge cost in size and weight and lack of zoom range.

For an easy to carry camera solution, I'd personally prefer a larger sensor and fixed lens (Fuji x100), so I'd at least have control and decent IQ.

But we all have different priorities, don't expect people to validate your choices, this is a photography forum, you aren't likely to find too many people who'd be happy with that zoom. But if it'll work for you, you don't need permission to buy it.

We all have different priorities so go with what you feel suits you best.
Personally I'd rather have more lenses that are suited to different things so that I'm using the best glass I can afford for each situation. I'm happy to carry extra lenses with me and swap when I need to. I have a superzoom compact that I use if I want convenience though.

Back