Canon or Yongnuo 50mm ?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
My friend is looking for a cheap-ish 50mm, I've seen some reviews but I'm wondering if anybody actually has both the Canon and the Yongnuo 50mm, or which to buy, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in price, and most of the reviews I've seen suggest the yongnuo might be better, that doesn't sound right though.
Any Ideas???
Thanks Wayne

Yongnuo for less than £40 new and has 1 extra aperture blade...no brainer to me....though I'd try to find a sharp Sigma 1.4

Yongnuo for less than £40 new and has 1 extra aperture blade...no brainer to me....though I'd try to find a sharp Sigma 1.4
The Canon is still the better lens, spend a bit more and get the Canon. Better yet, buy the mk3 (STM) for only a few quid more than that.

Thanks for the replies. Jim whats the difference with the STM?
Regards Wayne

Thanks for the replies. Jim whats the difference with the STM?
Regards Wayne
Just a nicer len all round, better IQ, better in the corners, better, quieter focusing and better creamier bokeh. And of course it has STM if you shoot video.

I wouldn't even bother looking to yongnuo for the 50mm when the canon one is so cheap! Can pick nearly new ones up for £50

Hadn't realise yongnuo had started making lenses, do they do them in Nikon fit too ?

Having just got the new 50mm STM I can recommend spending a few more £'s on that, best way I can describe it is, it feels less like a toy lens :) very very pleased with mine

Hadn't realise yongnuo had started making lenses, do they do them in Nikon fit too ?
I think so, I believe theres a 35mm as well, when I looked they were about £40 for the 50 mm.

Thanks for all the replies people, I think the Canon looks the best bet for the few extra £'s.
Regards Wayne

Cheers, might be worth while me having a look at some of the reviews, cheap option when buying some glass for my son when at the end of the day may be a 5 min fad for him.

According to Canon the STM has the same glass as the old mk2 50mm, so quailty should be the same, they've changed the mount to metal and changed the way the focus ring workes (it's now decoupled when in autofocus so you can't turn it manually and break anything in AF) they've also added more blades to the aperture to give smoother bokeh in OOF highlights. I may have missed something but thats pretty much what Canon told me.
Regards Wayne

According to Canon the STM has the same glass as the old mk2 50mm, so quailty should be the same, they've changed the mount to metal and changed the way the focus ring workes (it's now decoupled when in autofocus so you can't turn it manually and break anything in AF) they've also added more blades to the aperture to give smoother bokeh in OOF highlights. I may have missed something but thats pretty much what Canon told me.
Regards Wayne

I to thought the optics were identical apart from coatings but it is reviewing much sharper in the corners than the old model!

The main differences of the mkii and the STM according to The Digital Picture;

• 7 rounded aperture blades vs. 5 non-rounded (no more pentagonal bokeh)
  • Metal lens mount vs. plastic
  • A much improved manual focus ring
  • STM vs. Micro Motor (should be faster and much quieter)
  • FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing
  • 13.8" (350mm) MFD (Minimum Focus Distance) vs. 17.7" (450mm)
  • 0.21x MM (Maximum Magnification) vs. 0.15x
  • 49mm vs. 52mm filter size (though not really an advantage from my perspective)
  • Narrower f/22 aperture available vs. f/16

I take that for just a few quid more!

I to thought the optics were identical apart from coatings but it is reviewing much sharper in the corners than the old model!

This could well be simply due to production variances, ie just luck, rather than a significant improvement of the STM over the older model

This could well be simply due to production variances, ie just luck, rather than a significant improvement of the STM over the older model
I agree it could be but it seems to be consistent across pretty much all the reviews I've read, maybe they have tweaked the alignment/calibration/quality control process at the same time! Something has definitely changed though!

Probably better coatings too?

Jim whats the difference with the STM?
The STM Build quality is far superior to the 50mm mk2. Not difficult because the 50mm mk2 must have the worst build quality of any lens available today. I would not waste my money on a 50mm mk2

Back