Canon Powershot G9 - good companion for the 5D?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got a Canon 5D and a couple of lenses... I'm lovin' it :nuts:

My other half is a bit jealous and is now after a digital camera of her own. She's not technically-minded, and just wants to be able to frame a picture and shoot. I thought of getting her a compact, but something decent enough to work alongside the 5D and produce images of comparable quality. I'd probably end up borrowing it as well from time to time :)

The G9 looks the business... about the same pixel depth as the 5D, and looks to be good build quality.

Any comments or other suggestions?

Cheers,

A.

Fantastic little camera, capable of superb results as long as you keep the ISO down, and the build quality is superb. it's a bit bigger and chunkier than your average compact these days, but all the more usable for it I reckon. It has all the modes you'd expect in a good DSLR, including the ability to shoot RAW. If you already have a Canon DSLR you'll find the menus and general operation pretty intuitive.

Yes, a S/H G6, still a capable camera, shoots raw, and has the added advantage of using the same memory card as the 5D and she will love the swivel screen.
The G9 only replaced the G7 because Canon in their mistaken wisdom decided to drop the raw feature in the G7 there was no G8 and the feature was reintroduced in the G9.

Can vouch for both the G9 and the G6.

While the G9 is technically a better camera, the G6's ability to take CF cards gives it the slight advantage over the G9 (because you'll be able to use your current cards) but also a disadvantage (your OH will be pinching your cards!).

Just got my G9, great little camera. Although as stated above a little bigger than most compacts, but if you want RAW it's the dogs pyjamas.

For P&S set the dials to the green settings and press the shutter, leaving you to play with Av,Tv and manual modes.

It does movies, sound recording, takes a 'proper' flash gun, with a menu system that's not too confusing.

My criticisms include:
The fact that when bought new the provided pathetically sized SD card will only save ONE RAW file ! Budget for buying a bigger card if you want to shoot RAW.
No case is supplied.
Viewfinder poor, can't adjust the dioptre settings enough for my eyesight
Grip can be a little awkward, but can be overcome by the grip and button here : http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_G7_1.html

Noise at higher ISOs is greater than a DSLR, but its not the end of the world.

I've really tried to love the G9, but I just can't. I'm not sure why, but using it has always felt a touch awkward, it just feels a little wrong in my hands.

I'd pick the Ricoh GR Digital (mk1 or mk2 depending on your budget) - truly a classic camera, and you can't say that about many digital compacts.

Cheers,
James

I've really tried to love the G9, but I just can't. I'm not sure why, but using it has always felt a touch awkward, it just feels a little wrong in my hands.

I'd pick the Ricoh GR Digital (mk1 or mk2 depending on your budget) - truly a classic camera, and you can't say that about many digital compacts.

Cheers,
James

There has been quite a few comments about the G9 feeling awkward, its actually not an easy camera to hold one handed and a grip has been designed to work with it (and works really well its been said) as well as a few other bits. - Grip Link

The problem is if you go for the retro case SC-DC55A (which I did) you cannot use the grip with it.

My personal opinion of this camera is for a compact its a really good camera, its noisy above iso400 but then it is a compact.

Back