Beginner Canon Pre-Flash and ST-E2 controller

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there...I don't have any flash equipment at the moment I've just been reading up on all things flash

Iam a bit confused and wondered if anyone could answer the below points just to clear something up for me :)

1. Does the ST-E2 controller sends instruction to the remote flashgun to Pre-Flash or does it do the actual pre-flashing itself.

2. reading up on the ST-E2 it says it uses Infrared to send its signal. Does the canon Flashgun have both an infra-red sensor and an optical sensor. I thought flashgun only reacted to flash tube pulse signals.

3. In ETTL mode The pre-flash is used to calculate the "correct" flash exposure for a scene and it is measured Through The Lens. Is that correct ?.

Thanks in advance

1. Does the ST-E2 controller sends instruction to the remote flashgun to Pre-Flash or does it do the actual pre-flashing itself.
It sends an instruction, the camera has to measure the flash exposure as put out by the flashgun.

2. reading up on the ST-E2 it says it uses Infrared to send its signal. Does the canon Flashgun have both an infra-red sensor and an optical sensor. I thought flashgun only reacted to flash tube pulse signals.
It's actually only near IR, and yes, the flashgun understands it.

3. In ETTL mode The pre-flash is used to calculate the "correct" flash exposure for a scene and it is measured Through The Lens. Is that correct ?.
Yes.

However, the ST E2 is very old tech, if you're starting from scratch, you'd frankly be an idiot to buy into the old ex system.

The IR triggering system is OK for limited hobbyist use in small spaces, but radio triggering is so much more useful and reliable and less fiddly.

The ST E3 and 600ex rt is the modern equivalent, a bit more expensive, but you can get Yongnuo clones at reasonable prices.

Or buy a YN622tx and either the new YN685 flashgun with built in receiver, or older compatible ettl flashguns and YN622s receivers.

There are other radio flash trigger devices, at various price points, but bang for buck, the Yongnuo's are unbeatable.

But I'm repeating this for clarity, only an idiot would buy the ST E2, at this point. It'd be like buying a Sega Megadrive (not in an ironic retro way)

I have to say I just decided to use (fairly cheap - YN622tx) radio triggers instead of worrying. But that doesn't really answer your question, which I don't definitely know the answers to.

Hi, If you are just getting into flash then I would go with the Yongnuo route, even the YN 600 flash and the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT TX together would not cost even half the cost of the Canon branded 600 unit.
Russ

Thanks all for the earlier reply it all helping towards my understanding :)

Yeah I understand the ST E2 trigger is old technology and radio setup is the way to go...the book I have mentioned even older tech like pc cords and green coloured Sonia optical slaves devices for manual off camera flash.

regarding the below when a pre-flash instruction is given by the ST-E2. Do All the remote flashgun pre-flash when there are several flashgun in the setup? or is it just the one flashgun that pre-flash when it receives the instruction.

It sends an instruction, the camera has to measure the flash exposure as put out by the flashgun.
QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks all for the earlier reply it all helping towards my understanding :)

Yeah I understand the ST E2 trigger is old technology and radio setup is the way to go...the book I have mentioned even older tech like pc cords and green coloured Sonia optical slaves devices for manual off camera flash.

regarding the below when a pre-flash instruction is given by the ST-E2. Do All the remote flashgun pre-flash when there are several flashgun in the setup? or is it just the one flashgun that pre-flash when it receives the instruction.
Yes they all flash. But seriously, forget the ST E2, it's about 6 years past its sell by date.

With all other ETTL trigger systems the same technology works like this.

I've only been our of the scene a couple of years and it's amazing how technology has changed in just that time let alone however old the book is.

I'm about to invest in some yongnuo flashes myself going for the yn685 and yn560's, built in radio triggers so no additional bits and no worries of flashes all being line of sight.

Back