Canon Printer Problem...Help!!

Edit My Images
No
I've got an error with my Canon IP4600 -

when i try to print i get USB001 error code and the printer is constantly flashing orange and green (in sequences of 10)....

Canon said it has to go to a repairers (200+ miles away!) just thought one of the TP gang might be able to help?

Any ideas team??

cheers

Dan

I had a similar problem. Ended up simply disconnecting it from everything for 20 minutes then plugging it all back in. Worth a try before sending it off!

cheers nod...tried that last night for about 45mins...no joy. :thumbsdown:

Cant seem to find a printer repairers...my guess is they would charge a good amount which would go towards a new printer...mines not that old, pretty ****ed off with it...there doesnt seem to be a solution online either. :(

cheers nod...tried that last night for about 45mins...no joy. :thumbsdown:

Cant seem to find a printer repairers...my guess is they would charge a good amount which would go towards a new printer...mines not that old, pretty ****ed off with it...there doesnt seem to be a solution online either. :(

Bummer! A repairer will probably charge more than a decent printer will cost so it might be a good time to upgrade if you want to. See if there are any current printers in the range that use the carts you already have, especially if you have any spares in stock.

Not much help, but I have a conspiracy theory about printers and the like.

Consider how easy it would be for the manufacturer to install some kind of suicide code in the firmware, after a set time, or number of prints (especially if using non OEM ink!!) the printer is instructed to DIE.

As you (and I as well) have discovered it's easier to bin the old one and buy another.

What a waste.

David

Not much help, but I have a conspiracy theory about printers and the like.

Consider how easy it would be for the manufacturer to install some kind of suicide code in the firmware, after a set time, or number of prints (especially if using non OEM ink!!) the printer is instructed to DIE.

As you (and I as well) have discovered it's easier to bin the old one and buy another.

What a waste.

David

Consider the backlash that the discovery of such an imbedded kill code would have on the company. In the case of Canons, I only stopped using my old s820 because I needed the desk space for a laser B&W printer and 3 of the Canon's 6 inks ran out at the same time with the other 3 not far behind. I only ever used 1 3rd party cart in it (never again but that's a different story told elsewhere...) and the carts in that printer aren't chipped so no way could the printer tell whether it was a genuine cart or not.

if I was diagnosing this for myself I would
try it in another PC< or wipe the USB drivers in safe mode and allow them to reinstall.
I can't understand why a faulty printer would through up a USB error.
it should be detected or not.
I'd try another USB cable
I've had my ip4200 for a few years and it's pretty solid

so PC, cable, drivers, printer

I've got an error with my Canon IP4600 -

when i try to print i get USB001 error code and the printer is constantly flashing orange and green (in sequences of 10)....

Canon said it has to go to a repairers (200+ miles away!) just thought one of the TP gang might be able to help?

Any ideas team??

cheers

Dan

I had the same flashing light fault code with a Canon 9500 MK2, The reason was when I open the top cover of my Canon 9500 MK2 , the Carriage, Print-head, and ink carts no longer came to the centre allowing me to replace an empty ink tank".

Answer in an email from, Canon Service Technician

This is the AP motor error from the Purge unit indicating that your purge unit did not complete a full cycle. As a result the purge unit still has the print-head and Carriage ASM locked in the far right "Park" position. So the only solution for you is to take the printer apart.

There is one "Despriate Trick" you can try, but it has less than a 1% chance of working. You may have to try this 5 times and see if you get lucky.

This entire process will have to be repeated, not just part of it, if your are going to get lucky.
1. Pull the power cord and allow internal memory to discharge and lose memory. This takes about 3-4 minutes
2. Plug the power back in
3. With the Cover open, press the main power button.
4. Count to 5 and pull the power cord out.
5. Wait 30 seconds.
6. Check to see if the printhead has moved ANY AMOUNT AWAY FROM THE PARKED POSITION, OR IF YOU CAN MOVE IT BY HAND WITH VERY LITTLE FORCE. This means you should not use any excessive force.
7. If it moved you are lucky as you are now able to move it to the far left of the printer such that you have access to the purge unit. With access you can try to see if you can un-jam the white plastic wiper blades, as this is 75% of the cause of all purge unit jams. Press the ink pads down gently and see if they are free to move down at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you think you freed up anything, close the cover and re-plug the power and see what you get.
8. If all of item 6 & 7 failed, go back to step 1 and start over. Then when you get to step 4 change to wait to 8 seconds. The next time change it to 3 seconds. The next time change it to 10 seconds. The last time change it to 1 second. Now you can give up.

What you were trying to to was to catch the purge unit in its normal power on test cycle were it moved through all physical positions. In one of those positions it drops the locking tab on the printhead for just a second or more. If you were able to pull the power at that exact time, you would be able to move the printhead once the power is removed. While the power is on, the printhead carriage drive motor is active and will NEVER EVER LET THE PRINTHEAD MOVE WITH POWER ON.

After reading the email ...
I did the following and it sorted the problem

Followed the power sequence
Moved Print Carriage to left-hand side of unit
Pressed the ink pads down gently, the white plastic wiper blades jumped over.
Powered up everything OK
Printing as good as it ever was.

Hope this helps :shrug:

Back