Canon Pro 100 printer

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Having a problem with my printer and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if there is a remedy.

I have a Canon pro-100 printer which up to now has given me excellent service. I have today noticed that the power light is continually flashing even with the power cable disconnected. This morning the printer would not print so I carried out a reset and now I cannot see the printer in preferences-printers & scanners, to carry out a reinstall.

Can't advise but did find this page about there "alarm light flashing" with in one case the power light also flashing!

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART152956

Maybe a further search in that section will reveal more relevant solutions??? Though I am especially puzzled as to your description of the power light flashing with the power cable disconnected!

I found that page as well, BB. Was looking at the last item that seems to say the printer needs a service. It would be interesting to know if the OP has his connected by USB or wi-fi. If USB I would try another cable.

Where is it drawing power from if the mains lead is unplugged?
Very strange, is it completely disconnected from everything.

FWIW

I found this page that talks about power supply issues https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...s/Pixma-pro-100-will-not-power-up/td-p/101006

Where they talk about repeated pressing of the power button with power cable disconnected....infers that (a bit like a speedlite ~ pressing the test button repeatedly discharges the capacitor) the power supply has a significant stored energy that until discharged means the printer is not "off".

Also, noted elsewhere that a flashing power light means the cover is not shut! Plus that even the presence of the cartridges can trigger a fault state!

All this does make it sound like this printer can have some exotic fault(s)???

Thanks for all your replies. I hang my head in shame after realising what I have done. After all these years of having a printer and computer I got my USB and power cables mixed up and in fact I was disconnecting the USB cable.
I did in the end disconnect the "right" power cable and left the printer overnight (the light then stopped flashing) I have just reconnected the power cable and all appears to be okay, so now all I have to do is reinstall the printer.

@swiftflo

There is no shame in making a mistake and getting into a muddle.

Hopefully the printer will now behave itself AOK ;)

@swiftflo

There is no shame in making a mistake and getting into a muddle.

Hopefully the printer will now behave itself AOK ;)

Yes I have now reinstalled the printer and all working okay.

Last night at the CC one of my friends said the reason my printer stopped working in the first place was because I never switch it off (correct, only switch off when I go on holiday). He suggested it had overheated. Would be interesting to know if others switch their printers off ?.

@swiftflo

When you say 'switch it off' do you mean with the power button on the front or at the plug socket? I leave the power on to my iP8750 (baby compared with your) but always turn it off with the power button.

Like Peter, mine is switched off when not in use but plugged in unless we're away from home for a while.

Glad the OP's problem is solved.

I was leaving my Canon Pro 10 printer on, but accidentally turned it off when giving it a dust
Don't bother anymore, on at the plug, but off at the printer, just fire it up when I use it now
Print head/ink carriers can get stuck, need a tap to get them moving if that happens

Bit daft really having these expensive to buy and run printers purely for hobby use.
There again why not, when did common sense ever become part of the equation

Last edited:
I’ve got one of these printers. I always have it plugged in, but only switch it on when printing, and it’s switched off at the plug when we go away. Great printer.

@swiftflo

When you say 'switch it off' do you mean with the power button on the front or at the plug socket? I leave the power on to my iP8750 (baby compared with your) but always turn it off with the power button.
Just turn it off at the power button on the printer.

Back