Canon R5 ongoing random lockups and warranty claims

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if many have had these problems with the R5 and eventually gave up and sent it for repair

I know when the R6 had similar issues repairs involved replacing motherboard and shutter systems

For my R5 first indications are they are claiming it to be a software issue.

Personally I am struggling to see this as it has continued through several software upgrades all of which worked first time

Any feedback on this issue would be great

I have the R5 and that mirrors the probs I have had.

Sent the camera in for repair and they changed the motherboard , so far no problems.

I find it hard to believe that it would be a software issue.

I've not experience any issues with my R5 and I can only assume we both run the same software/firmware.

This is a issue reported by quite a number of people. There were two threads on this forum who's had this problem and couple folks I know outside the forum that've had this problem.

think you should send it for warranty repair

what are the symptoms. My R5 has "locked up" a couple of times but after switching it on/off and/or reconnecting the battery its fine again.

The symptoms on mine were the same - would lock up, I would lose the picture just taken and removing the battery to clear it. I know it could not be the card as I was using fast SD cards and the fast other type of card.

What was the final straw was that it started happening more and more frequently regardless of whether I was just switching camera on or later on after taking a a number of photos - when it locked losing a batch of high speed photos taken of a rare bird made me thinkk it was time to not put up with the problem any longer.

How old is your R5, how many photos do you take / have taken with it when it locks up - mine is appx 1.5 years old, and problems started after about 6 months or so.

Mine is 2 years old / no idea what my shutter count is - how do I find out?

I take about 2k images an event and I’ve done 6 events this year - not sure how many last year and in 2021!

Back