Canon RAW files won't open in Photoshop v9 :-s

Name
Lianne
Edit My Images
Yes
After playing with one of the tutorials in Digital Photo mag, I decided to go for it with RAW files but can't open them in Photoshop.

The magazine tutorial was using a .dng file which opened fine.

I've got version 9 (i think) and when I try to open, I ensure have selected camera raw file in type (CR2 is included in this list) but when try to open get an error saying can't open as wrong type. :bang:

I have got some software which came with my EOS 400D but doesn't allow me to make the changes I used in the tutorial.

Any ideas? Please note I am brand new to all this so am not up to speed on either the software or a lot of the photography terms used.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Not sure what version 9 is - I presume it's a version of Elements? If it is old, it may not support the later .CR2 files like those from the 400D

Version 9 is CS2 i think and that does not support the Canon raw files from anything above the 30D i think, and adobe will not write any updates for it :( sorry.

Only thing to do is convert the file to dng and then open that file up in Cs2, or buy an upgrade to Cs3, again sorry.

If you've got Photoshop 9 then thats CS2.

OK the 400D came out after Adobe introduced CS3 and therefor stopped supporting new cameras in the older version. Don't panic.:eek:

You need to convert you files from the Canon RAW CR2 format to DNG. Easy.;)

Go to the Adobe web site and download the DNG converter . It's free. Now convert you CR2 files to DNG and off you go.

Here's the link for the windows version. Download the latest one 4.3.1

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

The conversion wont destroy your CR2 files but to make life easier store them in a different directory.

Try converting your RAW files to DNG files in Adobe DNG converter. Its available free as part of Adobe Camera Raw & DNG converter download. You need to choose the 4.3 version, unzip it, and then do not install the camera RAW update just click on the Adobe DNG Converter.exe file to run it. It's a stand alone program which enables you to convert your cameras RAW files into a DNG file which is recognised by ADOBE Photoshop.
This is the download link http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/index.html. Sometimes adobe make mistakes on their download page and forget to include the DNG converter in their download, so if you have a problem get back to me and I will try to find the correct one for you.

Back