Canon RP focus stacking

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. I currently have an almost new Canon 90D which I bought last November. I can swap it for a 2nd hand Canon RP mirrorless at almost no cost. I would then need a EF-EOS R Mount Adapter and then I can use my current 18-55 and 55-250 (at least for the time being).
However, one of the main uses that I have for my camera is taking images at the local scale plastic model club. At such sort focus distances I use the built in focus stacking which can take upwards of 50 images of a model airplane. I then use HeliconFocus to put these together to get an image with every part in focus.
I have looked at the manual for the RP but can't see that it has this facility built in. Now, I can replicate it using the touch screen by taking multiple images manually with different focus points so all is not lost but I would like to know if the RP has this built in like the 90D.

Does anyone know?

David

These are absolutely no go with full frame cameras, nor that good to begin with
Yes they aren’t full frame lenses the latest version of the 55-250 is actually decent for the money, I used to use one as a lightweight backup on a second body before I went full frame

OK so I have a 90D with these two lenses. Is it really worth all the expense to change to an RP or...........

I have the RP and can confirm it does have the Focus Bracketing feature, though I've not tried it till now. However you would need to change your lenses to full frame ones and you'd also want to make sure that whatever lens you buy can focus that close.
For example, the RF 24-105mm F4 L has a minimum focus distance of 45cm, but the RF 24-105 f5-7.1 can focus down to 13cm, by comparison the EF-S 18-55 can focus to 25cm.
But you'd need to see what you can afford.
Image quality wise I don't think the RP is going to be much better than the 90D except in low light where the bigger sensor does better.
The RF 24-105 f5-7.1 can be bought for about £300ish, so it's not overly expensive and it's a good focal range (equivalent to a 15-65mm on a crop sensor).
You could also look at the RF 35mm f1.8 Macro and the RF 85mm f2 Macro, neither are 1:1 macro but will focus close and are sharp. You're looking at £350 and £550 respectively.

So the question is, is it worth it?
One way to answer that question is to use the Canon Test Drive service and borrow an RP and a couple of lenses for a weekend for free and see whether they do what you want.

I borrowed an RP from them to test before buying one myself. It's definitely worth doing and you don't have to pay anything (except a refundable deposit). Even better if you borrow over the Easter weekend and get the extra 2 days free.

According to the manual the RP has a crop mode which means the lenses should work fine although you will have the same field of view as your 90D

Saying that I would keep the 90D until I could afford a couple of full frame lenses as well otherwise there seems no real point

According to the manual the RP has a crop mode which means the lenses should work fine although you will have the same field of view as your 90D

Saying that I would keep the 90D until I could afford a couple of full frame lenses as well otherwise there seems no real point
The RP (and R) will run in crop mode automatically when an EF-S lens is attached, but you will only get a 10mp image from that, so far less than the 90D.

If you envisaged moving to full frame eventually then you could start upgrading your lenses to full frame ones and use them on the 90D for the moment. But there seems little point upgrading your 90D when it's only a year old.

What your original post doesn't say is why you want to move to the RP or other mirrorless camera.
What is it that the 90D doesn't do for you or that you think a camera upgrade will bring?

Which is why I just said FOV.
Yes the FOV will be the same operating the RP in crop mode, but the megapixel count will be far less. IE the 90D will give you 32mp but the RP in crop mode will only give you 10mp from the same FOV. FOV is what is visible in the shot, but I'm referring to the data recorded. Using a full frame sensor in crop mode means it's only using the middle section of the sensor. So there's fewer pixels to work with when it comes to editing. *
Whether that is an issue to the OP is for them to decide.

* In theory, using the centre of a full frame sensor with a lower pixel density might actually prove beneficial in low light because the bigger pixels of the FF sensor pick up light better than the tightly packed smaller pixels of a crop sensor, allowing a lower ISO and therefore less noise. But that compromise would mean being happy with a lower pixel count image.

Yes the FOV will be the same operating the RP in crop mode, but the megapixel count will be far less. IE the 90D will give you 32mp but the RP in crop mode will only give you 10mp from the same FOV. FOV is what is visible in the shot, but I'm referring to the data recorded. Using a full frame sensor in crop mode means it's only using the middle section of the sensor. So there's fewer pixels to work with when it comes to editing. *

Honestly, I give up. I already know the MP count will be less ... which is why (again) I just said FOV :)

bigger pixels of the FF sensor pick up light better than the tightly packed smaller pixels of a crop sensor, allowing a lower ISO and therefore less noise
That is in fact debatable once you equalise the resolution. Considering both are canons of similar vintage and price I would expect similar snr per area unit. I.e. there is zero benefit of running FF camera in crop mode with the cheapest available lenses

That is in fact debatable once you equalise the resolution. Considering both are canons of similar vintage and price I would expect similar snr per area unit. I.e. there is zero benefit of running FF camera in crop mode with the cheapest available lenses
I'm curious, what sort of method are you suggesting by "equalise the resolution"? Scaling of some sort? Genuinely curious, not being argumentative.

I agree there's little benefit running a FF sensor in crop mode with full frame lenses (might as well shoot the whole frame and then crop in post) and even less point doing it with cheap lenses.

I'm curious, what sort of method are you suggesting by "equalise the resolution"? Scaling of some sort? Genuinely curious, not being argumentative.
Resize down to the common lowest denominator obviously. What else?

The RP (and R) will run in crop mode automatically when an EF-S lens is attached, but you will only get a 10mp image from that, so far less than the 90D.

If you envisaged moving to full frame eventually then you could start upgrading your lenses to full frame ones and use them on the 90D for the moment. But there seems little point upgrading your 90D when it's only a year old.

What your original post doesn't say is why you want to move to the RP or other mirrorless camera.
What is it that the 90D doesn't do for you or that you think a camera upgrade will bring?
Well things moved on. When I bought the 90D late last year, I didn't look at the current market but just bought what I saw as an upgrade to the 80D I had two and 1/2 years ago. After buying it, I saw that the world was moving to mirrorless. Now, I know that I will want to upgrade my camera to the latest on a 2/3 year cycle - I have done this since having a 10D many years ago. I decided that keeping the 90D (or yesterday technology ) was destined to cost me more money than changing now - in 3 years time, say, the 90D would be "old hat" and the price I would be offered would be a lot less than if I had mirrorless.

OK so now we move on. I started looking at the Canon RP and saw what I thought was an entry level attempt by Canon and as such not an exciting change. Years ago, when Olympus brought out their first 4/3rds I had one. This was in the line of an OM10 - an OM1 and and OM2 film cameras so I am also a keen Olympus user. I had a look at their range and saw that the OM-D E M5 Mk. III had everything that I needed plus more and seemed to be a much more dynamic camera that the Canon RP. Hence, I have bought one of these with a 12-45mm PRO lens. This camera has not just bracketing but also focus stacking and it works really well. I have had it for 5 days and I am really impressed. Attached is my first stacked image.

Attachments

• lightning stack 3000.jpg
    lightning stack 3000.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 4
Back