Canon S100

9.6fps? That seems impressive for a compact. What was the S95?

This is definitely going to be a purchase to replace my S90. Felt rather limited with it on the days I couldn't be bothered carrying my 5D MkII on holiday.

Another preview at dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canons100/

Last edited:
Looks like a good upgrade to the S95 which I got as I needed a quality compact for a trip to Niagara Falls. Really wish I could have waited for the S100 but it wasn't possible. Even more, I wish I could have taken my D90 and tripod but that was out of the question.

I think that the S95 will hold its value though as a quality compact. For quite a long time after its release, the S90 was still highly sought after. The specs look good on paper. It will be interesting to see when it hits the shops.

but Canon is claiming that images taken at ISO 1600 with the S100 are on a par with those taken at ISO 400 with the S95.

if it lives up to that review thats going to be one cracking compact! I can see a few S95's in the for sale forum soon!

I only upgraded from S90 to S95 in June. Now the S100 is to be released and I just can't resist an upgrade! :bang:

Hope it really isn't priced at £439! Kerso here we come...

Looks ok. I'd still prefer the ring to control zoom but I guess I'm just weird!

Have they dropped that feature? I know i can set the ring control to zoom on my S90

Played with a S95 in a shop and I didn't see this option. The ring had clicky stops though, so probably wouldn't be a nice zoom anyway (step-zoom - yuk).

What I'd like is a stepless variable speed zoom, like on the new Panny m43 PZ lenses, but using a powerzoom ring rather than a switch.

Just had email from Park cameras £439 and you get a £30 voucher to spend in there store,
I think it needs to be on the market for a couple of months before the price settles down,I would think about £379 in November if you can resist !

I only got my S95 in July and I'm quite happy with it. I thought the S95 replacement was on the cards because of the scarcity of S95s around at that time. The £310 I paid for the S95 was a bit too much, so there is no way I would even contemplate the S100.

Reading the preview at DPReview, they may have upped the image quality (though that remains to be seen) but the have compromised the ergonomics imho, at least from what has been described. The ergonomics of the S95 are excellent. The battery of the S95 is its achillies heel, and adding GPS to the mix, even with a different battery does not bode well for me.

The S100 is now on Canon's UK website with an availability date of November. You can contrast / compare the features of the s95 / S100 / G12 side-by-side there.

I wonder if it'll be officially launched at [thread=352278]Canon's Big Hollywood Announcement[/thread] thingy on Nov 3rd... :shrug:

Played with a S95 in a shop and I didn't see this option. The ring had clicky stops though, so probably wouldn't be a nice zoom anyway (step-zoom - yuk).

The S95 does have zoom control using the lens ring however the zoom focal lengths are fixed at 28, 35, 50, 85 and 105. Also it appears to only work in manual modes.

I have an S90 (with RF grip) and an S95, both mint, and I know that when the S100 is available I will buy it (can't help myself). So S90 and S95 will both be up for sale if anyone interested. Just not sure how it would work with me being in Dubai.

Manual means aperture priority, shutter priority or both, same as a DSLR, none of which have anything to do with focusing, same as a DSLR. How you would manually focus a lens on a compact camera I have no idea? :shrug:

Last edited:
Having just checked the dpreview website apparently S90, S95 and S100 have manual focusing (thanks Dave) but I've no idea how it works. However being in any of the manual modes does not involve manual focus unless you select that option, which I never knew existed. Having said that I cannot ever imagine wanting to use manual focus on a compact.

Last edited:
Having just looked at the S95 manual (page 93 of 198 deals with MF) believe me you are never going to use it.

PS Dave, how often do you use MF on your G11?

Any members get there hands on an S100? I'm toying between an E-PL2 (and end a world of never being happy with the lenses!) or just get a S100. 200 shot battery life is somewhat putting me off though.

Now this has been out for abit has anyone got any more opinions on it. Also any pictures taken with it?? Currently trying to decide if I should save a few more pennies for the S100or just plump for the S95.

Thoughts??

Thanks Simon

I was looking at getting the S100 and waited around until it was released. I had a play with it a few times at a Canon showroom and to be honest was left a bit disappointed. I think they really cheaped out of the screen (perhaps similiar to the S95, I don't know). Not everyone will care about that but I want a point n shoot that I can enjoy taking photos with and that can display photos well - as chances are I will be using it to show friends my photos from the past week or so. I don't know why but it seems that most smartphones have better screens than compact cameras these days. Again the quality of the screen isn't going to be of concern to everyone but I would recommend having a long hands on with the camera before buying it.

Back