Canon S90/S95 Owners Thread - Anything S90/S95 related

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
The D300 users thread has been useful for me so thought a S90/S95 thread would be useful too - just picked up my new S95 today! Manual does not go into much detail so this will be a great place to ask any questions, get help or advice and post tips.

My initial impressions... feels weird handling a compact again after almost 4 years of DSLR use. Took a few test shots earlier though and will have a look at later tonight.

My initial question... how does f2 and say f4 compare with f2 and f4 on a DSLR? By that I mean when I take a portrait shot around 50mm, on my DSLR f2 will require me to nail focus well, as some of the head will be oof and any background nice and blurred. Having initially looked at shots on the S95, the background is reasonably clear. Likewise, on a DSLR I will often use f4 or f5.6 for portraits, and f8 for bigger groups, so would I need f8 on the s95 or would a diff aperture be fine - obviously I am not expecting the S95 to be as good as a DSLR!

It's all down to the sensor size.

It's like the focal lengths a different to 35mm/cropped sensor DSLR.

The macro option gives you a fairly decent narrow DoF, overall I think its a fantastic camera for its size. Im doing a 365 so use it pretty much everyday, the big aperture is great for city night shots, 800 ISO is very clear, pub/indoor shots are a bit more work, but a clear picture without flash is easily achievable.

I love my S95, and my S90 before it.
These are the first compacts ive owned that ive felt confident it taking to special events instead of my DSLR. Not that they can replace a DSLR, but over the years ive taken my DSLR everywhere and found i hardly used it. Having a compact that i know will do a good job has made life a lot easier.
I also find it a bit more fun to use sometimes.

The blurred background question has been done on here recently, a few times IIR, and no, you wont get good looking backgrounds out of focus IMO. You can get the background blurred if the circumstances are right but its not a creamy smooth blur like you would expect in a portrait.

Ive got galleries for both S90 and S95 on my Flickr page in my sig.

...Manual does not go into much detail so this will be a great place to ask any questions, get help or advice and post tips.

I have the S90 and it also comes with a very basic manual so you need to download the full manual (pdf, free). For the S90 it's 179 pages!

just picked up my new S95 today! Manual does not go into much detail so this will be a great place to ask any questions, get help or advice and post tips.

Are you sure your not looking at the quick start guide. Mine came with a 196 page PDF on disc.
It can be heavy reading but its all in there somewhere.

Still, its fun to talk about it so go ahead :)

It was the getting started one, will have to take a look at CD then!

Took it for a first outing to Arsenal v Barcelona game. Most annoying thing... I keep lifting it to eye level to look through viewfinder!!! Taking a while to get to grips with making changes quickly, will come with time I guess. A couple from the game:

5451794335_dd051d3718.jpg

5452404960_e6d165cd1e.jpg

I received the Richard Franiec grip for my S95 today - oh boy, what a difference! Fitting is easy and it really does feel much more secure in the hand.

Only problem is, with the grip fitted, it doesn't fit very well in the lovely leather case I also received today:crying: Case now for sale in the TP classifieds!

John

WEX were doing a special offer on the S95 the other month for £250, just had to have one for that amount.

So far it's great knowing you have a RAW capable compact in your pocket.

Couple of shots from my first few weeks of ownership

5340058084_6f903ec76e_z.jpg

5254746375_cf57527d27_z.jpg

5301244885_00c3f98622_z.jpg

Anyone shooting RAW and using Aperture? I started using RAW update has finally been released for Aperture.
I was taking the usual friday night out pub pics, but upon loading them up in Aperture they were awful, either well over saturated or they had a horrible blue hue like the yellow channel had been dropped.

There were a few shots my mate had taken and he'd just switched it to Auto and the jpeg's were fine.
I was using a 3200 ISO, but other than a bit of noise Ive never had any issues in low light before, Im using RAW and Jpeg today so I can have a good compare tonight.

Im on PC so not able to use Aperture but funny you should mention the blue hue.
Ive noticed this quite a few times on high (ISO1600+) raw shots in LR3. Its not there in DPP.
In LR you can tweak the camera profile to adjust the hue of the shadow area but its not ideal.

Great shots ShrubMonkey and Kenny.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a case for the S95? Preferrably still keeping it as slim as possible....

I'm hopefully picking up one of these bad boys in the coming few days! :D

Thanks Dave....I wonder if theres anything slimmer though....

I still have my case for my old Sony compact which might do the job actually.....

I'm using a Lowepro Dublin 20, it's just a simple neoprene pouch with a velcro fastener, nice and slim, but probably won't protect the camera from a big fall.

would someone be willing to take a shot at fully zoomed and wide for comparision at all?
im considering buying one as an everyday camera i can keep on me at all times.
im also looking to take a camera with me to america as having the dslr was too bulky and the v4 samsung is 'poo' pretty much.

evilonion said:
would someone be willing to take a shot at fully zoomed and wide for comparision at all?
im considering buying one as an everyday camera i can keep on me at all times.
im also looking to take a camera with me to america as having the dslr was too bulky and the v4 samsung is 'poo' pretty much.

If you don't get anything by the morning I'll take them and post them, or if you would prefer I could send you the raw files.

that would be great if you could :)
my email is sales at vinylperfection.com

Would be good to see what the quality is like as well as how good the zoom range is :)

Who can recommend a decent screen protector then?
I was going to buy a cheapie off eBay, but not sure what they'll be like....

Also, thinking about buying a spare battery too....Maybe from 7dayshop?

that would be great if you could :)
my email is sales at vinylperfection.com

Would be good to see what the quality is like as well as how good the zoom range is :)

Sorry for the delay. They are on their way to you via Yousendit.

Let me know if you want more.

Who can recommend a decent screen protector then?
I was going to buy a cheapie off eBay, but not sure what they'll be like....

Also, thinking about buying a spare battery too....Maybe from 7dayshop?

I always use Martin fields overlays for my LCD's. Not the cheapest but good quality and they do seem to enhance the contrast a bit. They also dont seem to peel off after time like the thinner ones do.

Best case I have found is the Crumpler PP55 - no wasted space/material - snug but very fine.

Just bought a case in Wilkinsons £1.20 in fact I bought two, nice neoprone material and fits snug in any pocket when out and about, keeps the scuff marks off.

Just got the franiec grip for the camera, well worth it. Makes it far more secure to grip.

Hi- I'm seriously debating whether to get an S95- I have been hanging on for a G12 replacement towards the end of this year but the S95 gets such great reviews- anyone else been in the same situation who can sway my mind?!

Hi- I'm seriously debating whether to get an S95- I have been hanging on for a G12 replacement towards the end of this year but the S95 gets such great reviews- anyone else been in the same situation who can sway my mind?!

Depends on what you compare it too. I have been a little disappointed I guess, as I have been used to a D300 and 50mm prime for much of my stuff - and no compact will every come close to that. As compacts go it is a very good camera and really is pocket sized. Mine is just for when I dont want to lug a D300 about!

Having just recently bought a GF1 with a 20mm my poor S95 has been lying in a desk drawer. It's gonna stay there a while I think:)

But then I always carry a (man) bag.........

Just got the franiec grip for the camera, well worth it. Makes it far more secure to grip.

I got it for my S90 last month and it is definitely well worth having and looks like it's an original part of the camera.

Back