Canon S95 or Olympus XZ-1????

Edit My Images
No
I'm getting myself tied in knots here reading review after review and not getting anywhere. I've decided one of these cameras is for me, but I'm stuck at the final hurdle of deciding... Both cameras look good, the price is about the same (roughly), the Oly is a little bigger but that's ok. It has a faster lens and larger sensor, but, I've read the image quality and colour isn't as good. I played with both at the airport today and was less impressed with the screen on the Oly too. Arghh! Someone convince me please!!! :)

No LX3/5 on the running? I'd go for the LX5 or a heavily discounted LX3 to be honest.

Although if I could splash 1000£ on a camera it would have been a X100 instead of any of those.

Last edited:
Nope, it's between the Oly and canon, the lx5 just not doing it for me:) yeah a x100 would be nice, so would a m9 but it's a back up for when I can't be arsed lugging my 40d around, and I'm not spending more on a compact than my DSLR is worth:)

Last edited:
Yeah same here got the LX3 for when I can't be bothered with a D40 and the lenses have found the lack of viewfinder though horribly limiting thus why I am looking for the X100

Hopefully you'd be shooting in RAW anyway so any issues with colour can easily be corrected.

Remember you'll have the option of that (apparently wonderful) VF-2 EVF for the Olympus.... not cheap, but will hold it's value very well I'd imagine, and will be compatible for all Olympus m43 bodies for years to come....

Yeah same here got the LX3 for when I can't be bothered with a D40 and the lenses have found the lack of viewfinder though horribly limiting thus why I am looking for the X100

I did something similar, purchasing a good compact for those times. However, I have found that I hardly ever use it/take it out. Are you sure you need one? Perhaps taking the D40 with one lens might work better?:shrug:

I almost always take just one lens out but when you are out mountain biking a DSLR with a lens is a bit awkward to carry, as is any camera with a protruding lens. The LX3 goes neatly in my jacket pocket or on the top pocket of the camelback so it is quite easy to get out and grab a shot or two.

As I said though I can't stand the lack of viewfinder on the LX3 so am thinking of the X100, only problem it is just too much for what it would be used by me I think.

But, as i said, I'm not paying £1k for a compact to be a compliment to my dslr, and I dont want a LX3/5. So... Powershot S95 or Olympus XZ-1, Anyone???

I love my S90 - It's the smallest 'decent' compact out there and the IQ is pretty decent. Perfect to pop in a pocket and is surprisingly fun to use with the control possible...

Been using my S95 since January and and am very pleased with it.

I have been carrying it everywhere with me and it's ability to take pictures almost anywhere without flash (f2.0 lens is sharp wide open) is a constant pleasure.

I'm sure I haven't discovered all it's nook and crannies yet.

Only downside is poor battery life around 200 shots for me with a fair bit of chimping between shots.

Highly Recommended

David

To further convince you this camera has to my mind produced more consistent shots than my 40D!!!, particularly in tricky light conditions. It seems there is quite a lot of processing going on to produce "nice looking" images, the colours are great, and the fill flash is spot on as well - you have to look hard to see it, but the images look great.

Last edited:
Back