Canon spare parts

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know if Canon in the UK would sell me a spare part.

I bought a camera of one of the members with error99 which is now confirmed as a knackered shutter.

I am NOT looking to have a go so please nobody think that. I took a punt and if nowt else there's loads of kit I can resuse.

However as Canon want £224 to replace the shutter and the camera is only worth that much I thought sod it I'll have a go myself.

I'm a competant engineer and after much research I reckon I'd like to take a bash at replacing it myself. All I have to lose is the cost of a shutter mech and a few hours of head scratching.

So does anyone know if Canon would sell me a shutter mech ?

I spoke with a repair chap about parts for one of my lenes and he has to get parts shipped from Japan as Uk will not supply him.

Not saying you can't get them from Canon UK though.

You should be able to ge a replacement from a few dealers on the well known auction site.

That seller breaks items. I looked at him for soem parts for a 500mm f4 and he seamed to have every part available.

can't say how good he is but was very helpfull when I was asking questions.

Was thinking along those lines Neil, should get the shutter mech in a week to 10 days.

I'm going to photograph each step so I know where everything comes from and goes back to :D

Was it the actual shutter or the button?

Only asking because I saw a video clip how to dismantle the camera and clean the shutter button contacts. seems to be a fairly well known fault on the xxD models

It's the shutter mech, seems the blades are all over the place.

If you look at any of the ones people have found they show a rectangle where the blades are and just the blades. On the 400 I have you can actually see the arms that control those blades so summats up somewhere.

I'm looking forward to getting the shutter and having a go :D

Phil

Cheers for the link. I paid £9.50 for the manual and christ it's usefull, with loads of pictures and instructions. Well worth a tenner of anyones money.

I'm not sure if I can link to it in any way as it might break copyrite rules :D

Back