Canon spare parts

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon 5D3 and recently removed the tripod QR plate from it and discovered that the camera must have been moved at some time while on the tripod and the rubber patch surrounding the tripod bush has started to come away and is twisted.

Removing the rubber pad and replacing it with a new one would be very simple (there is nothing wrong with the camera) if I can get one. I contacted a company advertising spare parts (they do sell the base plate complete for just over £20, but they have given an estimate for repair of £170!!!. They have also not said whether they sell the rubber pad separately.

Anyone have any suggestions where I could get one of these? It is the ridged rubber pad in this link.

Wow, you were lucky. I contacted Canon over the paint wear on mine and they wanted £450 to swap the body case.

Are you going to buy the part for twenty quid then?

I would if I could see it and make sure the bit I want is there. Unfortunately the picture on the website is very small and not very clear, hence my question.

Have you tried another repair centre ? Have you contacted Canon themselves (at Elstree) to see if they can sell you one ?

Could the original place that quoted you £20 for one take a photo of it and email it to you (presuming they have it in stock) ???

I'd put the QR plate back on and forget about it, really doesn't seem worth the hassle!

Have you tried another repair centre ? Have you contacted Canon themselves (at Elstree) to see if they can sell you one ?

Could the original place that quoted you £20 for one take a photo of it and email it to you (presuming they have it in stock) ???
Elstree will refer you to Hlehmann. Unfortunately sometimes the Canon parts are just expensive. I had a not uncommon issue with the lens hood of my 500mm where a ten pence circ-clip fails in the locking mechanism. The official fix is to replace the entire locking mechanism for £68...

Elstree will refer you to Hlehmann.
Exactly. H Lehmann are the "official" spare parts supplier for Canon UK. Make sure you describe the part *exactly* and don't be surprised if the price they quote you sounds like it's just been made up on the spot. I really don't think they have an actual price list.
I had a not uncommon issue with the lens hood of my 500mm where a ten pence circ-clip fails in the locking mechanism. The official fix is to replace the entire locking mechanism for £68...
Ooh, don't get me started. That's happened to me several times. And nobody at either Canon or H Lehmann can tell you what size the circlip is, and I suspect it's a proprietary size because I've never been able to find one that matches...

Thanks all, have emailed Lehmann with a link to a picture showing what I need. Hopefully hear back on Monday

Update - have heard back from Lehmann with a part number and while it is the whole base plate rather than just the rubber pad, they can provide it for £15 including VAT and postage. Now ordered and looking at it online it seems to be just a few screws holding it on so should be a straightforward replacement.

Update - have heard back from Lehmann with a part number and while it is the whole base plate rather than just the rubber pad, they can provide it for £15 including VAT and postage. Now ordered and looking at it online it seems to be just a few screws holding it on so should be a straightforward replacement.

That's great news. Hopefully a simple fix

Back