Canon speedlight 430 ex II or Yongnuo 568 ex II ?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I borrowed a Canon speedlight 430 exII as my intro into flash photography and really enjoyed using it so I'm looking to buy a flash unit, I thought about getting the 430 exII but a friend has told me to look at the Yongnuo 568 ex II. Apparently that can be used as a master unit and will help me add to if I feel the need to whereas the 430 exII is only a slave unit so if I buy another it would need to be a more expensive unit. Do I buy cheap or go the 430 route and just accept that if I decide to upgrade later then it is what it is? I don't want to buy cheap and regret it or is the Yongnuo a good bit of kit?

I'd say the 568 is the way to go and if you can afford it add two radio triggers for max flexibility.

I've been using this setup on and off for a year now and they have all worked faultlessly.

Thanks for the advice, I was worried that they may be poor quality so good to hear your have been good.

To be blunt, the quality isn't up to the std of the Canon, but it's a better spec and loads cheaper - to the point where it's ano brainer.

LOL I've just sold all my Canon FF gear, I'm posting the last of it in the classified tomorrow i.e a Canon 430EX II and a Yongnuo 568EX II. Both come with stiffen style diffusers. I'm not sure what these are going for, but they will be in the classified tomorrow.

And three Yongnuo YN 622NC triggers.

I don't intend adding extra flashes for a while But admit that it has to be considered, I'd rather opt for quality I think. I was leaning towards the 440 Phil. What's your opinion of them side by side Jim? I appreciate you might not want to answer that as they are both being added for sale :)

Last edited:
I have both, I tend to use the Yongnuo as first first choice as it comfortably outperforms the 430...

Agreed, my 430 died, got the Yongnuo, very pleased, build quality not as good as Canon but I have the spec of a 580 for a fraction of the price

I don't intend adding extra flashes for a while But admit that it has to be considered, I'd rather opt for quality I think. I was leaning towards the 440 Phil. What's your opinion of them side by side Jim? I appreciate you might not want to answer that as they are both being added for sale :)
This...
Agreed, my 430 died, got the Yongnuo, very pleased, build quality not as good as Canon but I have the spec of a 580 for a fraction of the price

I used to have a couple of Canon speedlights and Pocketwizard triggers, for the same money, I've now got a bag full of speedlights with more reliable YN triggers. And if a light stand gets caught by the wind and heads for a crash, my heart doesn't sink thinking of hundreds in damage.

Godox V850 with the FT16/FT16s trigger set, you can get a dedicated canon version if you prefer but the transmitter/receiver set also allow full remote control over power settings as well as many other features, the best thing is that they use a lithium ion battery thats good for 650 flashes per charge and the receiver uses the flashes battery power, so just 2 aa's in the transmitter and thats it, oh and price? I just bought the non dedicated version complete with trigger set for £85 brand new

I went the opposite direction. I had a yongnuo 568 which broke. So I got a canon 430 and the build quality is so much better. I'd there recommend the canon

I have a few flashes, including more powerful ones such as the Nissin di600, however the 430exii is my go to flash. I just seem to get better results from it. It also survived being dropped into the sea, can't say I'd reckon many flashes would still work after that :)

I only used the Youngnuo 2 or 3 times, but the results were good, it's a lot more powerful than the 430EX ii, which is a nice piece of kit, it just works, no faff or fuss.

I only used the Youngnuo 2 or 3 times, but the results were good, it's a lot more powerful than the 430EX ii, which is a nice piece of kit, it just works, no faff or fuss.

I bought one YN 600 RT. In practice 430 EX is a lot more powerful on 1/1 setting. Genuine 600EX-RT literaly nukes it. I was once enthusiastic about them but since purchasing I can only suggest that you get what you pay for thus stay away from them. Warranty and customer support will be poor to non-existent too.

Back