Canon Speedlite 430EX

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In case anyone is interested these are now being shipped. Mine arrived from warehouseexpress on Tuesday.

I decided to go for a 430EX and then a ST-E2 at this stage rather than a 580 (or Sigma equivalent) to give me more flexibility.

Regards

Mark

For anyone that has bought one of these flash units, the STO-FEN Omni-Bounce is now available. The product code is OM-EW and it can be ordered direct for around $27 from STO-FEN or you can wait a few weeks for warehouseexpress to get them in at £15.95.

mfwild13 said:
In case anyone is interested these are now being shipped. Mine arrived from warehouseexpress on Tuesday.

I decided to go for a 430EX and then a ST-E2 at this stage rather than a 580 (or Sigma equivalent) to give me more flexibility.

Regards

Mark

I picked up my 580EX today...a stonking piece of kit!
If it hadn't been bought for me by the company, I would have bought the 430EX.

I am seriously considering either the 580ex or the 430ex..most likely the 430 as funds are restricted currently and I have missed a few shots recently due to not having a flash :annoyed:

My xmas list has a flashgun on it. Been thinking it would be the 580.... now I'm starting to wonder if I really need the extra features.

Maybe a 420 at a good price would be more sensible :ponders:

then there is brackets, diffusers, cords, wireless thingys........loads of things I probably don't need but have to find out about :eyesup:

Steve said:
I am seriously considering either the 580ex or the 430ex..most likely the 430 as funds are restricted currently and I have missed a few shots recently due to not having a flash :annoyed:

If you look just above the viewfinder to the left, and more towards the front of the camera, there's a little button :D

/runs

I'm a happy owner of a 430EX, :)

Far better value for money than the 580 I think. I'd consider it a no brainer if you're not likely to use it as a slave flash.

I have decided that the 430EX is going to be mine. It took me a while to decide between that and the 580EX but due to me needing a new monitor as well and the extra features of the 58EX not being so important to me, that made my mind up. All being well I will be collecting it from the shop on Thursday evening. :)

It's a great flash from what I can see of it...........who knows......i might even take it out of the box soon ;)

digitalfailure said:
It's a great flash from what I can see of it...........who knows......i might even take it out of the box soon ;)

There are a few reports of not all of the 9 AF assist points lighting up on the 20D when used with the 430EX. Some are reporting it lighting only 7 and others are reporting all nine functioning correctly once they have updated their 20D to the latest firmware.

I am curious if anyone here with a 20D and 430ex has noticed this, and if so what firmware you are on?

Steve

I'm not sure I'm following what your saying :nut:

I've just stuck the 430 on my 20D and tried a few things.

Flash turned ON, pressed the AF point select button and selected all points. They all illuminated.
Then went into a totally dark room and ½ pressed the shutter button.

The red focus assist LEDS on the flash did their stuff and AF points were selected. On several attempts I got them all to light up briefly as the camera beeped to confirm a focus lock. On other attemps only certain points lit, which is as I understand correct operation as the camera will select the points to give the best focus lock.

Would you like anything more specific?

As you know, I'm on the ORIGINAL firmaware still.
if it ain't broke and all that

No that's great :thumb:

The complaints are that not all the focus point illuminate when used with 20D's without the latest firmware, and even then some people are still having troubles. It could just be user error on their part though.

As you know I am on an earlier firmware as well, so that is really good news to me.

Cheers for checking :)

Could it be an issue with certain lenses?

I only tried it with the 17-40L

and all seemed well, when time allows i'll try with the ef-s 60 and my 75-300is

Apparently it is camera and flash connected only and has no relation to the lens. I have only heard of a few isolated instances but with Canon releasing the last firmware specifically aimed at improving communication between the 20D and 430EX it seems to add weight to their complaints.

I was under the impression that the communication issue was only the transmission of colour tempertaure information.
I've read nothing about the E-TTL system being affected in any other ways.

But saying that......after just spending a wedge on it.......I don't really want to :coat:

Yes that is Canon's only official comment on the firmware upgrade although some are reporting that by using the latest firmware it is correcting their condition. Again I am not 100% believing everything I am reading and some of it could be down to user error.

Just as a side note I never got around to collecting the flash on Thursday so it will be next week now.

Steve said:
Just as a side note I never got around to collecting the flash on Thursday so it will be next week now.

And they call me a slacker :shock:

Back