Canon STM 40mm & 28mm 2.8 Pancake Lenses - Reviews Please?

Edit My Images
Yes
Canon STM 40mm & 28mm 2.8 Pancake Lenses - Reviews Please?

How do they compare in quality to the 55-250 EFS ?

I get very frustrated that my 18-55 does not produce as nice images as my 55-250... but obviousley with a min of 55mm it's not the ideal walk around lens.

I want to replace my 18-55 with another walkabout lens... I have my 50mm 1.8 and 55-250... so i want something that covers below 50mm, but I want to buy something reasonabley priced (around 100 2nd hand) that will be of equal or better quality than my 55-250... the 18-55 is a great lens that i've had some cracking shots with it but when i sit down and compare images, the ones i am happiest with are shot on the 55-250, the quality up close isn't comprable but at 55mm minimum it basically takes it out of the running for indoor shooting and other close range shots

So I got to thinking, either I need to replace both my 18-55 and 55-250 with a 18-200.... or I keep the 18-250 that i love, and invest in either a 40 or 28 pancake.

but wanted to see what people's opinions were on them?

I've seen lots of people and reviews on the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4... but not many on the 28 and 40.

Thanks guys, your opinions are appreciated as always

Both the pancake lenses are very good on a crop I'd get the 28mm but I'm more interested in what you think is wrong with the images from your kit lens as the newer versions are very good and should certainly be comparable to the 55-250mm! Got any examples of the problems?

Or save for a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 or the less expensive Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

Both the pancake lenses are very good on a crop I'd get the 28mm but I'm more interested in what you think is wrong with the images from your kit lens as the newer versions are very good and should certainly be comparable to the 55-250mm! Got any examples of the problems?

I suspect it is probably an earlier version of the 18-55mm , though capable enough, the quality was pretty variable. Front and back focusing was fairly common, so without micro adjust on the camera, results could be poor. I currently have 3 different versions, a non IS Mk2, an IS Mk2 and the latest STM version. The STM version is streets ahead of the others for image quality and focusing. Cheap too, they regularly come up on ebay for £60-70.

The images are just not as sharp... it's hard to explain but they don't "pop" like ones on the 55-250.

It's hard to pick an example, but when you're sat there looking at your photo and it's like,
It's in focus, the dof is right, exposure and levels are good... but it just doesn't compare to the shots taken on the 55-250
I also have found the 55-250 much faster.
Plus there's the practicallity of it, I often shoot indoors and below 55mm...

Or save for a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 or the less expensive Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

What sort of price do they go for used ?

I suspect it is probably an earlier version of the 18-55mm , though capable enough, the quality was pretty variable. Front and back focusing was fairly common, so without micro adjust on the camera, results could be poor. I currently have 3 different versions, a non IS Mk2, an IS Mk2 and the latest STM version. The STM version is streets ahead of the others for image quality and focusing. Cheap too, they regularly come up on ebay for £60-70.

Its an IS... think it's MKII

Off the top of my head, these are a couple I thought of.
there is less depth of colour, the images are more flat... and they are just softer, at most focal lengths.

18-55 on left, 55-250 on right

New Image 2.jpg New Image.jpg

The images are just not as sharp... it's hard to explain but they don't "pop" like ones on the 55-250.

It's hard to pick an example, but when you're sat there looking at your photo and it's like,
It's in focus, the dof is right, exposure and levels are good... but it just doesn't compare to the shots taken on the 55-250
I also have found the 55-250 much faster.
Plus there's the practicallity of it, I often shoot indoors and below 55mm...

What sort of price do they go for used ?

Its an IS... think it's MKII
Not sure, though the Tamron is £300 brand new. The Canon holds its value better but you'd have to check places like London Camera Exchange, MPB, Park Camera's etc.

whats peoples thoughts on the 18 - 55 STM lens ? it might be a good contender it's certainly cheap enough

i have the 40mm 2.8 STM and i think it's great lens used on a full frame camera and prefer it over the 50mm 1.8
just had a quick play on a 40d with the 40mm 2.8 STM and it still performs well but i'm not convinced it is far enough away from the 50mm 1.8 to warrant buying one as a replacement if you already have the 1.8

i have no experience with the 24mm STM but if it performs as well as the 40mm STM i would consider it a good buy

Last edited:
whats peoples thoughts on the 18 - 55 STM lens ? it might be a good contender it's certainly cheap enough

i have the 40mm 2.8 STM and i think it's great lens used on a full frame camera and prefer it over the 50mm 1.8
just had a quick play on a 40d with the 40mm 2.8 STM and it still performs well but i'm not convinced it is far enough away from the 50mm 1.8 to warrant buying one as a replacement if you already have the 1.8

i have no experience with the 28mm STM but if it performs as well as the 40mm STM i would consider it a good buy

yes of the two i think if i was going for a prime it would be the 28... focal wise the 40 is just too close to the 50 to warrant buying i think

The 40mm STM on ff is a great lens. Not the fastest but well built and very sharp

Out of the 24mm and 40mm, I'd go for the 24mm on crop sensor. I find 40mm too far.. great on FF though!
My go to lens is the 40mm (on FF) atm, for general out and about. The 24mm on crop sensor is roughly the same equivalent focal length.

Back