Canon: The Single Red Ring

Edit My Images
No
One Red Ring to Rule them All, The Lord of the Rings...

Okay so this isn't the usual 'Which one is best' question, this is a 'I've got the 1DX and can only afford a single lens - which L do I buy at £500 ish?!

Yes I realise my budget is shockingly low but such is life x.x

Most of my photography is landscape/portrait sort of focal lengths in low light, I'm considering so far the 17-40 L f/4 and the 24-105mm IS L f/4, any experience with these?

I've heard the 24-105 is more like a 45-80mm due to the unusable pincushioning and barrel distortion?

Thanks for your time!

Aleojandro

24-105, 40mm on FF will only be much good for environmental portraits.

I just don't get badge lust.

Why not just ignore the badge and buy the best lens for you at the price you're willing to pay?

If that lens happens to be an L, fine :D but to even think of setting out to buy specifically an L lens seems... silly IMVHO.

24-105 you have the length and IS + the 1Dx is reputed to no slouch at high ISO's

I just don't get badge lust.

Why not just ignore the badge and buy the best lens for you at the price you're willing to pay?

If that lens happens to be an L, fine :D but to even think of setting out to buy specifically an L lens seems... silly IMVHO.

Lol that would be silly - I actually need the L lens for the weather sealing, if by chance you know a third party offering both the optics and that, please lemme know xD I could do with saving some cash!

N.B. I climb mountains with it too :p

Okay so this isn't the usual 'Which one is best' question, this is a 'I've got the 1DX and can only afford a single lens - which L do I buy at £500 ish?!

Yes I realise my budget is shockingly low but such is life x.x

Most of my photography is landscape/portrait sort of focal lengths in low light, I'm considering so far the 17-40 L f/4 and the 24-105mm IS L f/4, any experience with these?

I've heard the 24-105 is more like a 45-80mm due to the unusable pincushioning and barrel distortion?
Thanks for your time!

Aleojandro

Who told you that? The same person that advised getting a 1DX for portraits and landscapes and mountaineering? :thinking:

24-105 is a wonderful all-rounder (y) Or maybe 24-70 for f/2.8. Tamron version is also good, with stabilisation. All cost more than £500 new.

Edit: since your 1DX hasn't arrived yet, seriously you'd be better off with a 5D3 and a couple of lenses for the money. Even a 6D (lighter). 1DX is a wonderful thing but specifically aimed at fast action.

Last edited:

[snip]

Thanks for your time!

Aleojandro

Yes it is. This is a "what's the best portrait /landscape L lens I can get for £500?" with the qualification of weather sealing being added as a requirement.

I don't think it matters if it's going to be stuck on a 5d or the 1dx you have. I have a 17-40 and 24-70 so have no experience of the 24-105. However as you can only afford a single lens I'd say the 17-40 is too limiting at the long end.

Edit. I'd agree with HoppyUKs edit above.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the 1DX, I do not want to sound condescending, but to buy the top of the range Canon body and then to scrimp on a lens, just stinks of a wind up or very bad advice that you have received.

With the stated budget, the advice given above ref the 24-105mm f/4 IS, is the best L series for your needs.

What Hoppy said with ref to the 5D3, would have made much more sense to me.

Edit: since your 1DX hasn't arrived yet, seriously you'd be better off with a 5D3 and a couple of lenses for the money. Even a 6D (lighter). 1DX is a wonderful thing but specifically aimed at fast action.

This^^^^^

followed by

This vvvvvv

Congratulations on the 1DX, I do not want to sound condescending, but to buy the top of the range Canon body and then to scrimp on a lens, just stinks of a wind up or very bad advice that you have received.

With the stated budget, the advice given above ref the 24-105mm f/4 IS, is the best L series for your needs.

What Hoppy said with ref to the 5D3, would have made much more sense to me.

Seems to me youve either been seriously wrongly advised or more likely you just wanted to show off a big cock, should have bought a 5DIII and then hads lots to splash on quality glass.

If you're after weather sealing. You'll need to budget for a decent uv filter, because without a filter on I was on the understanding that even "l" lenses were not completely weather sealed. Again I would go for the 5D3 with more money to spend on lenses

is the 24 - 105 weather sealed ?
i was under the impression it wasn't

No Canon lenses are weather sealed, not a one. The 24-105 has 'excellent dust-proof and drip-proof performance' which is, apparently, the best one can hope for nowadays.

If you're after weather sealing. You'll need to budget for a decent uv filter, because without a filter on I was on the understanding that even "l" lenses were not completely weather sealed.

A common misconception. The number of lenses that require a filter to complete their drip-proofing is quite small. The easiest way to tell is to download the manual for the lens in question. If a filter is required then that fact will be mentioned in the 'Features' section.

Who told you that? The same person that advised getting a 1DX for portraits and landscapes and mountaineering? :thinking:

24-105 is a wonderful all-rounder (y) Or maybe 24-70 for f/2.8. Tamron version is also good, with stabilisation. All cost more than £500 new.

Hmm i didn't realise this forum was of this sort - seeing as this is my first post.

I find your comment (and others below you) insulting to say the least. There are many words I could use - I'll stick with 'unprofessional' for now.

Nobody 'told' or 'advised' me. I looked at my needs, the photographs I want to create and which tool was best for the job. I'LL LIST THEM IF YOU WANT. At some point down the line I'm getting into filmmaking too, but this isn't the right place to discuss the 1DX/1DC sensor size. I asked for advice on a lens not your jealous, immature opinion that nobody requires a top of the range DSLR for anything but sport.

The 24-105 is NOT a 'wonderful' all rounder, you get what you pay for. Have you ever used it? Aim it at a brick wall and snap throughout the range you'll see what I mean. Maybe you'd like me to educate you on pincushion and barrel distortion?
The 24-70mm is about x3 the price, these two I have seen for £500 online.

Seems to me youve either been seriously wrongly advised or more likely you just wanted to show off a big cock, should have bought a 5DIII and then hads lots to splash on quality glass.

You're showing off your ignorance, read my reply to the other uninformed poster.

All Canon L series are weather sealed :)

well i would like to agree with you there considering the cost but not all canon L series lenses are weather sealed
take the 70 - 200 f4 L or the 70 - 200 f2.8 L ( mk1 ) both have no weather sealing and as far as i am aware the 24 - 105 is another with no weather sealing

i'm sure there's plenty more that are not officially classed as weather sealed

My 100-400 is only 'partially' weather sealed! Not sure how much use a partial seal is :)

well i would like to agree with you there considering the cost but not all canon L series lenses are weather sealed
take the 70 - 200 f4 L or the 70 - 200 f2.8 L ( mk1 ) both have no weather sealing and as far as i am aware the 24 - 105 is another with no weather sealing

i'm sure there's plenty more that are not officially classed as weather sealed

Well when you buy an L lens Canon recommends using a UV filter with some to complete the weather seal. Other than that THEY ARE weather sealed, there's even a video with a bunch of them being used on a 1DX for filming climbing in snow and sub-zero temperature (think it's called Shattered).

Like which? o_O oh well, in that case all the ones i've seen are - either that or press photographers don't care about their gear being written off and specs sheet tell lies xD lol

Well that I know of, the 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 and 135mm are not sealed. Only the newer MKII primes have weather sealing. The 50mm f1.2 requires a filter to be sealed.

Well that I know of, the 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 and 135mm are not sealed. Only the newer MKII primes have weather sealing. The 50mm f1.2 requires a filter to be sealed.

Glad you concur :)

Yes, older lenses haven't caught up yet but the 24-105mm is certainly sealed (I don't really find a decent UV filter much of an inconvenience outdoors tbh, if needed).

I'm not trying to be funny or clever, but why spend all that money on a body, then skimp on a lens? Sorta defeats the object of `quality` photo's imho. + sticking a filter on the end aint gonna help with quality either?

I'm not trying to be funny or clever, but why spend all that money on a body, then skimp on a lens? Sorta defeats the object of `quality` photo's imho. + sticking a filter on the end aint gonna help with quality either?

I hardly think buying L glass is skimping LOL, in terms of price or quality! But please, if you've negative points about either of these lens i'd wanna hear, before i spend any cash on 'em!

And if you don't buy the bargain bucket variety of filter, they actually are high quality. Besides, indoors it comes off :)

Well when you buy an L lens Canon recommends using a UV filter with some to complete the weather seal. Other than that THEY ARE weather sealed, there's even a video with a bunch of them being used on a 1DX for filming climbing in snow and sub-zero temperature (think it's called Shattered).

i think you need to do some research i own a 70 - 200 f2.8 ( non is ) and it is most definitely NOT weather sealed and nothing you read will tell you it is

A common misconception. The number of lenses that require a filter to complete their drip-proofing is quite small. The easiest way to tell is to download the manual for the lens in question. If a filter is required then that fact will be mentioned in the 'Features' section.

Missed these comments but yes, my point exactly. Plus anyone who doesn't realise they don't say 'completely weather sealed' simply to avoid warranty issues - is highly uninformed. I've seen people use 70-200 Ls under large waterfalls or pouring bottles of water on them - doesn't affect them!

i think you need to do some research i own a 70 - 200 f2.8 ( non is ) and it is most definitely NOT weather sealed and nothing you read will tell you it is

Lol yeah, you keep telling yourself that (; I'll leave you stand in the fog of your inability to Google.

talking of google

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/72

have a read right down to the bit where it tells you it's not weather sealed

It's okay, I forgive your misunderstanding (slightly).

If you took the time to read the other comments, it's already been discussed how older lenses aren't all designed to be weather sealed. However, Canon seems to be making all MKII and newer lenses with this trait.

We've also told of how 'some' Canon lenses require a UV filter to complete the weather seal, and that a decent one shan't depreciate the quality of the image.

Furthermore, we'd agreed that the 24-105mm lens is weather sealed, so is the 17-40mm.

But at least you managed to finally answer the actual question.

Lol yeah, you keep telling yourself that (; I'll leave you stand in the fog of your inability to Google.

this is a list i got from Frankie Jim when i was a Canon shooter

A complete list of all current production EF lenses with weather sealing.

EF 8-15/4L USM
EF 16-35/2.8L II USM*
EF 17-40/4L USM*
EF 24-70/2.8L USM*
EF 24-105/4L IS USM*
EF 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-200/4L IS USM
EF 70-200/2.8L USM** please see ** below
EF 70-200/2.8L IS II USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM**
EF 200-400/4L IS USM 1.4x Ext
EF 14/2.8L II USM
EF 24/1.4L II USM*
EF 50/1.2L USM*
EF 100/2.8L IS macro USM*
EF 200/2L IS USM
EF 300/2.8L IS USM
EF 300/2.8L IS II USM
EF 300/4L IS USM**
EF 400/2.8L IS USM
EF 400/2.8L IS II USM
EF 400/5.6L USM**
EF 500/4L IS USM
EF 500/4L IS II USM
EF 600/4L IS USM
EF 600/4L IS II USM
EF 800/5.6L IS USM

* Must use a front filter to complete sealing. Some lenses not marked with a (*) also require a filter to complete the seal.
** Not complete weather sealing; mount lacks the rubber gasket.

Canon say that none of their current lenses are fully weather sealed but only weather resistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back