Canon: The Single Red Ring

I asked a simple question, wanting to hear from other forum users who had already decided on/purchased one of these lenses, and subsequently their experience. Could I push the 40mm to do close portraits for example? How good is the 24-105mm?

Instead I could a bunch of jealous idiots insulting me for my choice of camera body, which apart from being fullframe, was irrelevant to the question. **Comment removed**

Then interrogated as to why I had purchased such an expensive camera, by people who clearly don't know its specs.

Then informed by ignorant people who've no understand of the Canon L series about it's lack of everything, including image quality. And despite clearly explaining about weather sealing, still people troll ignorant comments at me.

I'd just like to thank the few people who actually took the time, not just to answer the question, but to do so politely and maturely. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well youre not the smart arse you think you are then, this is a list i got from Frankie Jim when i was a Canon shooter

A complete list of all current production EF lenses with weather sealing.

EF 8-15/4L USM
EF 16-35/2.8L II USM*
EF 17-40/4L USM*
EF 24-70/2.8L USM*
EF 24-105/4L IS USM*
EF 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-200/4L IS USM
EF 70-200/2.8L USM** please see ** below
EF 70-200/2.8L IS II USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM**
EF 200-400/4L IS USM 1.4x Ext
EF 14/2.8L II USM
EF 24/1.4L II USM*
EF 50/1.2L USM*
EF 100/2.8L IS macro USM*
EF 200/2L IS USM
EF 300/2.8L IS USM
EF 300/2.8L IS II USM
EF 300/4L IS USM**
EF 400/2.8L IS USM
EF 400/2.8L IS II USM
EF 400/5.6L USM**
EF 500/4L IS USM
EF 500/4L IS II USM
EF 600/4L IS USM
EF 600/4L IS II USM
EF 800/5.6L IS USM

* Must use a front filter to complete sealing. Some lenses not marked with a (*) also require a filter to complete the seal.
** Not complete weather sealing; mount lacks the rubber gasket.

Canon say that none of their current lenses are fully weather sealed but only weather resistant.

My my, you are living in the past - go read the above comments, can't promise I'll wait for you to catch up. Also, this list is pointless, just so you know.

Thought I would Add this.

Weather sealing seals the deal if you are going afield - note that Canon recommends a UV filter for complete weather sealing on this lens. I can't tell you how much "weather" this lens can take, and don't condone the practice, but I've cleaned my 24-105 L under a gently-flowing kitchen faucet. Do note that this is not a "waterproof" lens.

Scource - The Digital Picture.com Review.

Last edited:
ENOUGH ALREADY!

The bitch fight posts have been deleted and
2 on holiday, I hope the rest of you will continue to play nice :)

Thought I would Add this.

Weather sealing seals the deal if you are going afield - note that Canon recommends a UV filter for complete weather sealing on this lens. I can't tell you how much "weather" this lens can take, and don't condone the practice, but I've cleaned my 24-105 L under a gently-flowing kitchen faucet. Do note that this is not a "waterproof" lens.

Scource - The Digital Picture.com Review.

Now go to the review you've referenced. Click on the link they provide to the owners manual. Read that manual, then tell us which pages

A) Mention 'Weather sealing'.
B) Recommend a filter to complete the sealing.

Now go to their review of the 16-35 MkII and download the manual. Read page 1. Note how a filter is recommended for dust and water resistance.

Now go to the review you've referenced. Click on the link they provide to the owners manual. Read that manual, then tell us which pages

A) Mention 'Weather sealing'.
B) Recommend a filter to complete the sealing.

Now go to their review of the 16-35 MkII and download the manual. Read page 1. Note how a filter is recommended for dust and water resistance.

This is from who ever Reviewed the Lens You go Ask him!!!!

wow so glad i didn't get involved with this one. a member of 6 years and 6000 posts suspended over something so insignificant which could of been avoided . but to put it blunt the 24-105 is a great lens he would be happy with it it on a 1dx. its not like he is saying i just bought a 1dx but got no money left so i am going to buy a 18-55 for it

I hardly think buying L glass is skimping LOL, in terms of price or quality! But please, if you've negative points about either of these lens i'd wanna hear, before i spend any cash on 'em!

And if you don't buy the bargain bucket variety of filter, they actually are high quality. Besides, indoors it comes off :)

I think what he means is, why spend over 4k on a body then leave yourself with only £500 to spend on a lens?

If you spent £500 on the body, and 4k on lenses, you'd probably get better results.

i started reading this thread last night when i got home from work and boy did it "stink"
it seemed to me like a total set-up from the start! .. the carot was dangled and there was only one way it was going to end up.. Lol
should have called the thread "single red mist" instead

I think what he means is, why spend over 4k on a body then leave yourself with only £500 to spend on a lens?

If you spent £500 on the body, and 4k on lenses, you'd probably get better results.

Thank you Jim. :cool:

I had hoped the op would have understood what I'd posted.(or maybe he did & was just after an argument/wind up?)

Whilst your attitude and apparent knowledge screams 'troll' I shall attempt to feed you with some advice in the hope you get off your high horse and respectfully take on board the advice that you requested by creating thread.

The 1dx is an excellent camera that will excel at almost anything, with an adequate budget this camera will almost always be part of the 'ideal set-up'. What you need to understand is the importance of a lens. Fundamentally the camera is just a box to capture light. The lens is at least as, or significantly more important (depending on situation) than the camera. Given that your budget only allows £500 for a lens you have made a huge mistake in budget allocation. Whether you like it or not if you flaunt your pro body with a, at best, pro-sumer lens people are not going to judge you kindly. Think of it as a car, what you are proposing is putting a cheap gearbox into a very expensive car. Yes it will give you some results, but everyone will mock you much akin to what has happened here. The clever thing to do would create a system where the limiting factor is almost completely even across the entire set-up. Even if you absolutely need the very best low light performance you would always be better off using the money to buy faster glass.

You mention no desire for sports or any other area of photography where you will need the 12/14fps and to be honest even if you did given your budget you would still be better off spending it on better glass. Sell your 1DX, buy a 5D mkIII and a 24-70mm mkII and enjoy the better pictures and then spend the remaining ~£1,000 on a fast prime for even better low light photography.

Regarding L glass, there's L glass and L glass, the 24-105mm comfortably falls into to lower bracket, and so yes a less of that caliber attached to a 1DX would most definitely be classed as skimping.

Hi,

On the topic of weather sealing, I have found this in the FAQ section of the canon site:

FAQ: Which Canon lenses for my EOS Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera are weather resistant?
Helpful Information:
Solution:

The current weather resistant Canon lenses are:

EF 16-35 mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM
EF 24-70 mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM
EF 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L IS USM
EF 70 200 mm f/4L IS USM
EF 50 mm f/1.2L USM
EF 300 mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF 400 mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF 400 mm f/4 DO IS USM
EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 600 mm f/4 L IS USM
In addition to the above lenses, the Extenders EF 1.4x II and EF 2x II are also weather resistant.

NOTE:
Weather resistant isnotthe same as waterproof.
When using your equipment in harsh conditions (e.g. snow- or sand-storm) we advise you to protect it as much as possible to avoid damage.

Ref:http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons....aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-521992&page=1&type=faq

Back