Canon upgrade advice

Name
Gina
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I want to upgrade my current canon body to a canon 7d mII and was wondering what are people's opinions on it? I want a semi professional as I want to start to develop a career in freelance photography (events, weddings etc). I know 7d has a lot features like 5d mIII except its a apsc not ff or would a 6D be better? I would buy a 5D mIII but sadly it's a little over budget by the time I invest in better lenses

I do have a 6d and quite happy wity it, good camera, now I believe, you could get a 5d mIII on the second hand market for the same amount if a new 6d, maybe yoy should consider that option as well. Lets see what others say about it, good luck.

No I haven't used them but I have used HDEW so it might be worth a look - they give a 3 year warrantee. Check them out - if you search on here you will read about them. I have a 7D2 but don't use it for indoor sports photography as it gets noisy which may be a consideration for the low light you can find in a church. I have no hands on experience of the 6D. I do like my 5D3 a lot... MPB will have second hand models and again you can read about them on here as well - the early adopters of the 5D4 will mean there may be enough of them on the market to have come down a bit second hand now. As Roland said, it will be interesting to see what others say. I also know a pro photographer who has ditched his Nikon gear to go with the Fuji system so maybe that is worth a look... I am loving my X100T as a walk about and a chap did a demo using a Fuji csc at the last Photo show - wish I could remember his name - of portraiture and it looked pretty good to me. Good luck with your decision.

I have a very similar dilemma and I had a similar thread to this one and members were very helpful.

As it stands for me at the moment.

I'm interested in wildlife photography, as well as landscapes. Being a crop sensor, the 7DII will give you more reach than a full frame but on the downside, it won't perform as well in low light. The MkII apparently has better image quality than the Mk1 had ( which I have) but still not as good as FF, especially in low light.

A full frame camera would really let good glass shine. I invested in quite a of L glass a couple of years go but I don't think I've got the best out of it with my Mk1. I think a FF would allow me to do that. It's a trade off between image quality and reach for wildlife but in my position, my next camera would be FF as I can fall back on the Mk1 in good conditions. That said, wildlife isn't just about reach, it's ok to take animals/birds etc in their natural settings and make an image that way, it's not always about waht I call 'portrait wildlife'. My belief is that FF withstands cropping better than a crop sensor but you'd still have to nail the image to begin with.

That said, I also have a Fuji X camera, and even the jpegs off that rival RAW files off my 7DMk1 and if it wasn't such a big hit on all my new glass, I'd trade it all in and go mirrorless.

Back