Beginner Canon upgrade time soon, best ratio to use my spending power ??

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am (hopefully) in a financial position to upgrade soon and I think I have settled on the Canon 60D or possibly 70D and trying to decide on the best way to spend my money.

I am looking at used and have the two scenarios for my £600 budget. I have been doing quite a bit of ebay following etc and listened to a lot of great advice on here and think my pricing is there or thereabouts but fully understand that things change quickly.

I am looking to initially get a body plus small walkabout lens ( 18 to 75 ish )

60D approx £300 plus quality lens at approx £300 = £600

70D approx £500 plus basic lens at £100 = £600

Now I realise that initially the 60D option will probably give better results due to the good lens but will that be short term gain as if I bought the 70D and lived with it until I could afford to upgrade my lens would that be a better longer term prospect ??

Any thoughts ??

I've had the 60d and was more than happy with it, a couple of bad decisions and i ended up not having a dslr for a while, I now have the 70d and love it! It's not a huge step up from the 70d but it is a step up all the same, I wasn't sure if I'd like the touch screen but it is excellent and works really well.
I suppose you have to think about when or if you will want to upgrade again in the future! If no then go for the 70d if yes then go for the 60d, either way you won't be disappointed!

No micro fine adjustment on my 60d which is a feature I'd like and the 70d does have.

If you will use the camera for pictures rather than video perhaps consider a 7D. Build, handling and speed exceed the 70D, but the sensor is half a generation older so loses a half-stop of low light performance.

*7D @ ~£375 plius a used Tamron/Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 or Canon 17-85mm @ ~£200 will be nice combos.

If you can stretch a little further you'd get a 7D plus 24-105L F/4 IS for ~£700.

However, if video is your thing the 70D will be a good choice.

Back