Canon upgrade

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to upgrade my 450D (which I have been really happy with) just wondering do I upgrade to full frame or do I just keep the 450 and get more lenses? Also if I get FF will I need to upgrade lenses too. Or do I go Nikon????

What do you shoot,what is your budget,what lenses do you have at the moment and what does your 450 not do for you???

Hi Steve & welcome :wave:

What do you shoot,what is your budget,what lenses do you have at the moment and what does your 450 not do for you???

As above really and...

Also if I get FF will I need to upgrade lenses too. Or do I go Nikon????

What lenses do you have ? If they are EF-S lenses, then yes you will need to buy new lenses as they won't fit...

If you go Nikon route, then you'll have to buy replacement of everything...

I really like to shoot a bit of everything. Landscape, portrait and would like action sports plus birds/wildlife. Lenses not much if an issue really as only have a EFS17-85 which is bolted on most of the time plus an EF 1.8 50mm and an EF 75-300 4-5.6, plus the kit lens that came with it, not sure where it is or what it is TBH. I have got a grip plus a canon speed lite 430EX but assume that (light) would be interchangeable? Budget not great (always the way) but I have started to lose a bit of interest as camera/lenses not as fast/sharp as I would like. Have considered (& want) EF 70-200 preferably f2.8, although considering f4, but would also like another body, so dilemma is do I get another 450 (so grip and SD cards remain constant) or go for something faster with better low light ability or will another 450 plus a 70-200 and a couple of primes "satisfy" ?

I really like to shoot a bit of everything. Landscape, portrait and would like action sports plus birds/wildlife. Lenses not much if an issue really as only have a EFS17-85 which is bolted on most of the time plus an EF 1.8 50mm and an EF 75-300 4-5.6, plus the kit lens that came with it, not sure where it is or what it is TBH. I have got a grip plus a canon speed lite 430EX but assume that (light) would be interchangeable? Budget not great (always the way) but I have started to lose a bit of interest as camera/lenses not as fast/sharp as I would like. Have considered (& want) EF 70-200 preferably f2.8, although considering f4, but would also like another body, so dilemma is do I get another 450 (so grip and SD cards remain constant) or go for something faster with better low light ability or will another 450 plus a 70-200 and a couple of primes "satisfy" ?

Hi

The 18-55 will be the kit lens that came with the 450D.

The 75-300 is an average lens and wouldn't really fare well...I'd be tempted to upgrade this anyway.

The 70-200 F4 is a belter of a lens and can be got for £350-400 2nd hand and is def worth considering.

Unless you want 2 bodies, I'd look at putting your funds into new lenses and go from there until you can decide what you want out of a newer body...

Hope this is of some help

Thanks Andy, I fancy the 70-200 although would prefer the f2.8 just wasn't sure whether the 450 would cope with it and need to start on the new body journey. If they work together and I get the improvements I want, I am happy with the 450 and wouldn't mind another. The 75-300 is pretty poor to be honest and as a result never use it. If I added a converter and got the 70-200 it could improve all round?

Thanks Andy, I fancy the 70-200 although would prefer the f2.8 just wasn't sure whether the 450 would cope with it and need to start on the new body journey. If they work together and I get the improvements I want, I am happy with the 450 and wouldn't mind another. The 75-300 is pretty poor to be honest and as a result never use it. If I added a converter and got the 70-200 it could improve all round?

Over the 75-300 def yes. The 70-200 F4 or 2.8 will blow its socks off ...

Putting a converter on you can loose a bit of IQ. The F4 will take the 1.4 TC, the F2.8 will take both the 1.4 and 2 TC (to retain AF), but you will loose more with the 2 TC and depending on which TC you go for on which model of F2.8 you may be disappointed.

Then you've got to decide whether you want IS or not...

Decisions decisions and bye bye bank balance. :D

Whilst ever you believe the kit is a weak link, nothing will 'satisfy'!

Is the kit holding you back, or is it technique? What's your measure of success? What are you trying to achieve and how is the kit responsible for letting you down?

Of course it would cope with it. one of my friends put a 300 f4 on his backup 20d and still took better photos than any modern camera with cheap glass. To put it bluntly glass is more important than body.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:
👍Thanks everyone, 70-200 (f2.8 if I can) is now the next thing, I am revitalised by your comments and another 450d will follow 😄😄

My first lens upgrade (a few years ago now) was from a sigma 70-300 dg ex thingy, to the Canon 70-200 F4 IS, because the IQ was so much better I hardly noticed the shorter focal length. When I did decided I needed a bit more length I got the 1.4 TC and the IQ drop was barely noticeable, AF speed did drop a tad in bad light but the combination is very usable. I first used it on a 400D and was very happy with it.

Back