Canon usb not connecting to new mac pro

Name
Francesca Morrison
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a new MacBook pro and I love it and still getting used to it but I can't seem to get my canon USB to connect to it. It works fine on other windows laptop! Is there anything I need to install? I have a 7D x

Frankee

You mean connect the 7D with the mini-usb cable to the MBP? It's not going to show up as a disk drive as the 7D offers a USB "camera" and not a "storage" profile.. so you need to start up iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom or Canon's own camera importer.. OR use Apple's own "Image Capture" which comes with the OSX operating system but is a bit low on features.

Assuming the 7D is the same as the 20D, Canon use an MS-DOS format for their cards so you will not see it as a drive as OSX won't see it.
As stated above, it should show as a camera in the relevant apps like iPhoto, Aperture etc,.
Found this out when I wanted to update firmware but couldn't copy the firmware across to the card. Had to borrow a friends Windows machine - oh the humiliation!

Thank you guys, I had to update iPhoto which I didn't realise and now it works (Y)

ernesto said:
Assuming the 7D is the same as the 20D, Canon use an MS-DOS format for their cards so you will not see it as a drive as OSX won't see it.
As stated above, it should show as a camera in the relevant apps like iPhoto, Aperture etc,.
Found this out when I wanted to update firmware but couldn't copy the firmware across to the card. Had to borrow a friends Windows machine - oh the humiliation!

Umm.. Osx reads & writes DOS FAT16 and FAT32 cards just fine. NTFS is the only problematic one, they are read-only.

NTFS is the only problematic one, they are read-only.

Mostly because it's Microsoft's proprietary format and they won't licence the specification to anyone for writing to NTFS on non-MS operating systems.

So when I import my raw files into iPhoto i can't open the raw only jpeg in photoshop.....

Umm.. Osx reads & writes DOS FAT16 and FAT32 cards just fine. NTFS is the only problematic one, they are read-only.

it doesn't show a Canon formatted MS-DOS CF card as a drive which is what I was referring to.

So when I import my raw files into iPhoto i can't open the raw only jpeg in photoshop.....

Which version of Photoshop? It's all to do with the Camera Raw software... For example, my 7D didn't work with CS3 but was fine on my old work computer running CS5!

ernesto said:
it doesn't show a Canon formatted MS-DOS CF card as a drive which is what I was referring to.

Yes it does, if it actually has access to the card as a block device such as with a USB card reader. If you plug your USB cable into the camera instead, the card is not exposed to the computer as a block device but instead the computer sees a "camera device" with stored images.

In theory it's a great idea because simple devices like direct hookup printers etc do not need to know about filesystems... But it's a bit restrictive when used with a real computer.

Yes it does,

No it doesn't but I think we are both saying the same thing. My point is it does not show up as a drive via card reader as would be expected with most memory cards. If someone was expecting to see it as a drive and didn;t they may think it is not connecting for some reason.

I know it shows as a camera to various software as that is how I get my images from it...

Cyprino said:
Which version of Photoshop? It's all to do with the Camera Raw software... For example, my 7D didn't work with CS3 but was fine on my old work computer running CS5!

I have CS5 x

neil_g said:
um OSX does support writing to NTFS, you just need to run a command in terminal to enable it.

Yes, it's *unsupported by Apple* and a bit buggy by all accounts. I've heard stories of data loss on the NTFS volume.

Use at your own risk.

Last edited:
Check the comments in this thread on macosxhints and I could point you to other, similar threads elsewhere.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382

For myself, I would certainly not entertain using this hack unless the NTFS volume was being very regularly backed up (with a long-period archive) or it contained only data that I did not care about if it disappeared. Based on the evidence I've seen, it might be OK to enable it temporarily, but I wouldn't leave any NTFS device connected with write enabled any longer than absolutely necessary.

Generally, I've no trouble messing about in the Terminal to get things done, but file systems are one area where you want to be on very solid ground or you can find yourself in deep doo-doo rather quickly (this from someone who's had practice at manually editing partition tables with pdisk and occasionally got it wrong). If you do encounter corruption, then you may not know about it for weeks or months until you go to access a file and it's not there or zero length.

Apple's NTFS support it most likely reverse engineered. They'll usually disable access to things like this for good reason - the risk of people losing data because of an incomplete implementation is one such. Read only protects you from that.

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't be advising anyone to do this without a well-signed health warning so they have their eyes wide open and are prepared.

FWIW, I run a network of about 40 client Macs and five XServes for my day job and, in various roles, I've been supporting Macs for a living since 1993.

Last edited:
FWIW, I run a network of about 40 client Macs and five XServes for my day job and, in various roles, I've been supporting Macs for a living since 1993.

pffft, that's nothing. I am an expert at using iPhoto and various Internet browsers on mine. :)

Back