Canon utilities "Auto update" service...how does it work??

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just noticed this option in my "Canon utilities" programme on my Mac...I was always under the impression that you had to update all Canon programmes via their website, e.g. DPP etc and I'm sure mine don't auto update...or am I wrong?

George

Had a look through my Utilities programs (Windows) and cant see any option to auto update. Canon seem to be a bit behind with their software and that is an option that would be very useful rather than having to re-install each program when there is a new update.

I'm on a Mac, and in "Applications" (same as programmes on windows) when I go in to the Canon utilities software, there's this "auto update" file, however I can't open it as a programme.

Will have a word with Canon and see if any light can be shed, it's a real PIA that there isn't an auto update service which just about any other programme has.

In my Windows, under Canon Utilities there are 6 different programme options, but auto update isn't one of them. Be interested to hear how you get on with Canon George.

The piece of crap Imagebrowser seems to update itself, I'm still waiting for it to become useful (if ever), for all other utils I have to download updates which install over the top, it's a shame they discontinued Zoombrowser, I still use this all the time.

I see it on my Mac as well. It has been there ages but never seems to update anything.

I see it on my Mac as well. It has been there ages but never seems to update anything.
Yup, It's bizarre, sent an email to my Canon chap this evening, let's see what happens....

Just had a long chat with Frankie Jim (CPS), and he says that it's to update the camera when it's connected to the computer, not the computer software itself, which I suppose makes sense.

He also said that the the reason Canon software doesn't have an auto update face;ity is to save drive space, as programmes which are just updated eventually get very bloated.

Again, that does make some sense, but I leave it to those who know more about programming to judge whether this is valid or not.

At least we have some kind of answer now!!

Back