Canon vs Nikon lenses 35mm and 100mm

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, i'm going to start a bit of a long thread. But i have always shot with canon starting with 30d, 40d, and now a 70d. All my lenses are for cropped sensor (apart one which will be the last point of this thread). Now i've been slightly disappointed by the 70d, i was expecting a bit more from it. Specially when it comes to high iso, it's better that the 40d but i really wasn't blown away by it. I'm mainly interested in still photography, video is not important. Wifi is not important. GPS is not important. Recently i've been thinking in selling it all and moving to full frame with a canon 6d and:
-canon 35mm f/2 (or maybe canon 28mm f/1.8)
-canon 100 f/2 (or maybe canon 85f/1.8)

The problem is that with the 6d share the ergonomics of the 70d (same button in same place) and to be honest i don't like it, as much as i can find all the button on the 40d on the 70d i can't. They took the usefull joystick to move focus point (very practical for portrait and wildlife when you don't want to remove your eye from viewfinder). They grouped 3 button on the right of the screen which are very hard to find in the dark (oh yes i like northern light pictures and milky way pictures). All the button on the back are hard to get.

So i'm thinking that with the 6d i'll run into similar problems. Now because i need to sell all my lens why would i still be tight to canon? I noticed that for 200£ more is the nikon D750, a newer camera, it seems to have a control pad fairly well located to move focus point. The play button is easily situated on a corner. It has a tilt screen + intervalometer (you need magic lantern on the 6d) which can be good for the night photography and looks more ergonomic. I think ergonomic is very important with a camera.

Now looks like the 6D was hugely better that the D610 in high iso, but the nikon d750 looks as good as the 6d if not better in term of sensor and to be fair in term of everything else (appart high iso video from some review which i do not intend to use) but what about lens is nikon has the equivalent classic lenses. Can i find both 35mm and 100mm fast lens prime which are cheap, very good and pretty light?

PS: the last question and what holding me to canon is my only ff lens is a canon 100-400L mk1, is there anything in this kind of lengh and this kind of money for the nikon? It's a great lens and i wouldn't want anything much bigger, heavier for sure.

nikon do a couple of 80 to 400s, and if you go off brand the sigma 105mm macro is excellent, and the 150-600 contemporary or sport are both very good too

I changed from Canon to Nikon a short while ago, mainly for the convenience of being able to use Legacy Lenses easily, I find that generally speaking the Nikon lenses are similar quality to the Canon ones although if you are a Sports shooter some lenses do not cross over, I also found the control layout to be a bit more egonomic for me anyway,

Thanks for your answer, i need to look at this 35mm, at the 100/105 option and the 80/400 what attract me with the canon 35mm and 85mm and 100mm is really the ratio cheap/light/small/very good.
Minnnt (david) was saying in another thread that the nikon the second and market is not as furnished as the canon second hand market and that lens choices is a bit slimmer.

I know i must sound mad but i'm going to dig my hole a bit more into craziness and show what i'm talking about in the real life in term of ergonomics. Two of my main photography favorite subjects are night photography on tripod and wildlife. For night photography on tripod being able to find the button without reaching a torch and easy access to function is a plus. I moved from the 40d which i loved and could find any button in the darkness, after a year using the 70d i still find it a bit more of a pain. For wildlife i find the joystick was so usefull to change the focus point, the wheel is way too low on the body and harder to reach.

So in images:

Canon 40D,
1 is focus point easy access and just under the thumbs, 2 and 3 very easy to find in the dark too.

40D
by Lemaildetom on Talk Photography

Canon 6d (very similar to the 70d i own today)
1 has move to the wheel which is too far down, 2 is a mess of 3 button hard to distinguished each other and from background has they are not raised a reel pain in the dark, 3 hasn't move
good thing too is the top plate with light and all button for iso, drive,... always liked the way they are

6d

Nikon D750
this seems to tick all my boxes in term of where are the button and how they seems raised to have a good feel of them in the dark

canon d750

Just a quick showing of the 5d mark iii which look a lot like the 40d. So did canon just made the 6d/70d not ergonomic in purpose? or are just going in the wrong direction with recent models? The 5d mark iii is too big and out of my price range that why i'm thinking nikon...

6d

I want to love the 6d for its price, its iso capability and the choice of canon lenses but i'm pondering if i will just get disapointed by the ergononomic like i am actually with the 70d. Maybe a nikon d610 is also a good contestor to the 6d. Also as a plus i would mentioned the incorporated flash and the af light.​

Last edited:
I have disabilities to my hands and I find the D750 very comfortable to use with the deep grip. I have owned the Nikon D3000, D3100, D7000 & D7100 and used the D700 and tried the D610 and for me the D750 comes out on top. I find the button layout excellent and can alter most things with the camera to my eye. The only Canon camera I have owned is the 1100d.

My last camera before the D750 was the Fuji XT1 (which you have owned?) which was nice to use with the 35mm f1.4 on it, but I find I'm managing the D750 with the cheap but good Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens, as a one lens walkabout . I'm not finding the extra weight to much of an issue due the excellent grip.

I have recently bought the SIgma 105mm F2.8 Macro lens and for me it's excellent but not as fast as the lenses mentioned above if you need f2. Also, as mentioned above there are some excellent after market zooms available along with the Nikon 80-400 (new version) the old one was slow to focus I believe. Nikon have the 200-500mm constant f5.6 which is due for release this month.

Only you can make the decision, but you need to try the cameras and make sure they are suitable for you. But I agree with your thoughts, theres no point having a camera if it's not comfortable to use. Could you even hire the D750 & 6D for a weekend to help with your decision, yes I know I there some cost involved, but it could be cheaper than selling up and changing systems again???.

Last edited:
Also, Nikon do a 35mm 1.8G crop lens (DX) which can be used on the D750 (although there will be some vignetting), these are about £140 along with the 50mm I mentioned above, which is Full Frame. If your going to full frame perhaps the 50mm is better if your used to using the 35mm on crop?? Otherwise the 35mm f1.8 FX lens is about £430 or the 35mm f2 which is about £200. Prices are approx for new UK lenses.

You then have the excellent Sigma ART lenses which are more expensive.

Last edited:

Hmmm good point, but it's a bit bigger and all reviews seems to say that the 6d is way ahead of the 5d mkii. Or maybe i could find a 5d mki and change smoothly my lenses waiting patiently for the 5d mkiii prices to drop down. Still it's just that much bigger to the xxd series...

I have disabilities to my hands and I find the D750 very comfortable to use with the deep grip. I have owned the Nikon D3000, D3100, D7000 & D7100 and used the D700 and tried the D610 and for me the D750 comes out on top. I find the button layout excellent and can alter most things with the camera to my eye. The only Canon camera I have owned is the 1100d.

My last camera before the D750 was the Fuji XT1 (which you have owned?) which was nice to use with the 35mm f1.4 on it, but I find I'm managing the D750 with the cheap but good Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens, as a one lens walkabout . I'm not finding the extra weight to much of an issue due the excellent grip.

I have recently bought the SIgma 105mm F2.8 Macro lens and for me it's excellent but not as fast as the lenses mentioned above if you need f2. Also, as mentioned above there are some excellent after market zooms available along with the Nikon 80-400 (new version) the old one was slow to focus I believe. Nikon have the 200-500mm constant f5.6 which is due for release this month.

Only you can make the decision, but you need to try the cameras and make sure they are suitable for you. But I agree with your thoughts, theres no point having a camera if it's not comfortable to use. Could you even hire the D750 & 6D for a weekend to help with your decision, yes I know I there some cost involved, but it could be cheaper than selling up and changing systems again???.

Yes i did have an xt-1 for a bit, same reason due to not liking much the ergonomics... I think i should just buy a 40d again and stop complaining! I remember when you were trying a few camera system and it's good to hear your experience. I'm hoping a trip south to aberdeen in a few week and hopefully they will be a photography shop there where i can try out. I think there's a jessops there which might have these in stock. It's shame my 100-400 is in mint condition and has had little use and never out in bad weather, plus it's a great lens i would be sad to part with it! But with the mk2 out now, it's value has somehow decreased.

Last edited:
I changed from Canon to Nikon a short while ago, mainly for the convenience of being able to use Legacy Lenses easily, I find that generally speaking the Nikon lenses are similar quality to the Canon ones although if you are a Sports shooter some lenses do not cross over, I also found the control layout to be a bit more egonomic for me anyway,

Hi sorry i only read your message half way? Why is it easier to use legacy lenses with nikon that canon? I have a fair few lenses for my olympus om 35mm film system, any potential there?

Hi sorry i only read your message half way? Why is it easier to use legacy lenses with nikon that canon? I have a fair few lenses for my olympus om 35mm film system, any potential there?
I should have said Easier to use 'F' lenses, virtually all Nikon fit lenses will fit on all Nikon bodies, I got a bit miffed that I couldnt use my Canon fit EF film lenses with the digital bodies,and no chance of using older lenses without adaptors,

You can check the lenses on DXOmark.
Nikon do two 35 f2s and a couple of 105mm, they don't do 100mm.
You can also compare performances against each other mounted on a 6D and a D750

For example:
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...kkor-105mm-F2D-on-Nikon-D750__798_836_949_975
I often get confused about DXO's scoring. I know it's across the whole range of apertures, but those results show the Nikon is noticeably sharper, less CA, less distortion, similar vignetting and transmission yet the Canon lens scores 31 vs 30 on the nikon :confused:

Last edited:
I often get confused about DXO's scoring. I know it's across the whole range of apertures, but those results show the Nikon is noticeably sharper, less CA, less distortion, similar vignetting and transmission yet the Canon lens scores 1 vs 30 on the nikon :confused:
It confused me too!
I just look at the individual results.

Can i find both 35mm and 100mm fast lens prime which are cheap, very good and pretty light?
The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is comparable in price and dimensions to the Canon 35mm f/2. It has a fraction of a stop wider aperture but no IS/VR.

I'm not sure Nikon offer anything closely comparable to the Canon 100mm f/2 though. There is a 105mm f/2 but it has Nikon's unique 'Defocus Control' for which you pay a premium. There's the 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro, which is excellent but not so cheap.

(Nikon do have an 85mm f/1.8, but then so do Canon and I assume there's a reason why you prefer the 100mm f/2.)

PS: the last question and what holding me to canon is my only ff lens is a canon 100-400L mk1, is there anything in this kind of lengh and this kind of money for the nikon? It's a great lens and i wouldn't want anything much bigger, heavier for sure.
Is there anything in this kind of length and this kind of money for the Nikon?

In a word, no. The old Nikon 80-400 was a dog. The new 80-400 is excellent, but in terms of size, weight and price it's much closer to the Canon 100-400 Mk II. (And of course it doesn't have the ergonomics of your lens.)

I often get confused about DXO's scoring. I know it's across the whole range of apertures, but those results show the Nikon is noticeably sharper, less CA, less distortion, similar vignetting and transmission yet the Canon lens scores 31 vs 30 on the nikon :confused:
It confused me too!
I just look at the individual results.

Same here.

I have then gone onto look at the lenses with the relevant 6D and D750 bodies being used, I think (top right hand tab on link). The Nikon overall score is then 93 and the Canon 82. Is this score then for the camera and lens combination or just the bodies???

Nikon D750 score > http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D750

Canon 6D score >http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-6D

Last edited:
For the camera body and lens combination- different bodies have different sensors, and different resolving characteristics.

Thanks stewart, really useful comment!
Yes on FF i think 100mm is nicer but surely 85mm could be good too. I have seen amazing revue of the defocusing function but looks a bit of a tricky think to use.

Last edited:
So following your advice and after digging up a bit, reviews and internet which is rather confusing just because the whole naming system is different.
I have been looking at these 2 options as working well with a full frame nikon, not too expensive, pretty small and giving good results:
-Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED FX Lens (I see there's also a Nikon AF 35mm f/2D and a Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.8G )
-Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G Lens
Which would be a good start up.

My two other lens that i would like replacing are a fast wide angle for northern light pictures and a long zoom for wildlife. But i have some life commitment coming up shortly (such as being a dad in a couple of month) and i think the outing at night or in the wild are going to be reduce drastically for the next 1 to 18 years ;-).

But still it looks like i could had for astrophotography the samyang 14mm f2.8 or the 24mm f1.4.
For zoom the recent sigma Sigma 150-600mm contemporary which is bigger and heavier that might 100-400 but would compensate for the switch from crop to full frame and is still at a reasonable price.

I have been looking at these 2 options as working well with a full frame nikon, not too expensive, pretty small and giving good results:
-Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED FX Lens (I see there's also a Nikon AF 35mm f/2D and a Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.8G )
-Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G Lens
Which would be a good start up.
Agreed. The 35mm f/2D is a very old design (introduced in 1995) so it won't be as good optically and it has Nikon's clunky first-gen mechanical autofocus. The 28mm f/1.8 is a very nice lens but a bit pricier.

For zoom the recent sigma Sigma 150-600mm contemporary which is bigger and heavier that might 100-400 but would compensate for the switch from crop to full frame and is still at a reasonable price.
Good point about the extra zoom compensating for the switch to full frame. I think you might be disappointed with the Sigma after using the Canon 100-400 though. I know I would be. It's really not in the same league.

FWIW I shoot weddings with a 5D3 and a 6D and had similar concerns about the control layout of the 6D as it differed so much from the 5D3. I even considered going the 5D2 route for the second body due to the control similarity but in the end I bit the bullet and went for the 6D.

It hasn't been a problem to be honest. I've not only adapted to the layout but can jump between the two bodies (which you're doing all the time at a wedding) without much thought. Yes I prefer the 5D3's layout by a long way but the 6D work perfectly fine and I don't find it hard remembering how to work it.

Nikon cameras are great in terms of dipping into the Nikon back catalogue of lenses but are pretty hopeless when it comes to adapting lenses from other mounts. I don't know the full technicalities but it's something to with the distance between mount and sensor/film meaning most other lenses cannot achieve infinity focus. I too have some lovely om lenses but it seems like the only way to use them effectively on a Nikon is to replace the lens mount. Don't fancy that much!

There are some great old Nikon lenses but the good ones are not cheap these days.

I think canon is a better option if you fancy using the OM gear.

Back