Canon Vs Nikon - Time to upgrade from a Sony - But Which One?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Looking to upgrade my Sony Alpha350. Its done me well but its now time to move onwards and upwards.

Having looked around I have found a couple packages, which seem like all I need. However I am in 2 minds, what to get and if to go that high price wise at all.

First camera is the Canon 70D. I have found this package:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19ed76044f

It has some lenses to get me going and it also has a few extra goodies with it, and seems to be a good price.

The next camera I have been thinking of is the Nikon D7100. Again similar package for similar price:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D71...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1e8463c93d

I have come across this website - http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Nikon-D7100 - and have been looking around but I am still unsure.

I don't mind spending up to that amount as this will last me for years to come (hopefully). I have used the sony as a workhorse over the years, mainly motorsport/ landscapes but at the same time I have done and have more to do of weddings and christenings.

Photography is a big hobby of mine but I do not do it "professionally"

Please can I have some help getting my next camera. Thanks

Do you definitely need a DSLR?
Have you considered mirrorless?

The two links you have posted just look like Bodies with their kid lenses with cheap accessories thrown in.
Why not look at just a body and lens to begin with?
Have a look on here to get a idea of what is out their and at what prices.
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Personally if you don't do photography professional and don't shoot action shots, go mirrorless. Its smaller and lighter.

Sony A6000?
Fuji XT-1?

Whats your budget?

are you aware that both deals are "grey imports".....cheers mike

If you want it to be nikon or canon go to a shop and hold one see what fits your hands and what you like the feel of then make a choice based on that and tech data

I've had 4 nikons and love them saying that if and when I upgrade I will check both nikon and canon but cause of the lenses I have already would probably stick with nikon unless canon pull somthing out the bag

Thanks for the replies.

I do a lot of fast action photography as my main hobby is motorsport.

I go to a lot of drift/ track events and am taking lots of photos in manual mode.

I want something better than what I have at the moment as sometimes I feel its hard to get a nice shot in low light... no matter how hard I play with the settings..

I have 2 good friends who both know their cameras, one swears by canon. The other Nikon.

What is advantage of mirror less then?

I have 2 good friends who both know their cameras, one swears by canon. The other Nikon.
?

My advice would be (if they'll let you) have a good play with the Canon body and Nikon bodies and see which you prefer - you've 2 good friends that swear by their cameras - 1 is Canon, the other is Nikon, so either is recommended for you from your friends - you need to see which you prefer.

See which feels the nicest in your hands, which one's buttons fall better for you, do you prefer one of the menu systems over the other...

Good luck with your search :)

Both nikon or cannon would be fine, the thing that's going to push you either way is how they feel in your hand, button layout, menus and if you have friends/family with one of them. That's how I decided. I have heard people more between the two based lens price but recent new releases are now both as high as each other!

What lenses do you have? If you have a few lenses then why don't you look at a new Sony body? The new Sony A77II looks pretty good and has lots of focus points which should be good for motorsport if that's how you shoot it (personally I just shoot motorsport with single point single shot) then you have the newest tech, you can use the lenses you already have and a camera with menus that are familiar. (Well, should be!)

The advantage of mirrorless is it weighs half as much as a dslr kit but some of the systems don't have the fastest AF.

I have the 18-70 and 75-300 they are the only 2 lenses I have.

I will try contact them about using their kit.

I would like to go away from sony as I feel I want better kit. And the better kit seems to be canon or Nikon.

Thanks

Any of the newer sony's are much better in low light. The a350 I didn't use beyond iso 400 as its so grainy. A77 ii would be my pick as it has a new AF system. The Sony G lenses are also very high quality. The a350 was a bottom of the range camera so it's not really going to be in the same league as the mid range canon and Nikon models you've picked out. The a77ii is an equivalent.

There is no substitute for going into a shop and picking them all up really.

Last edited:
Thanks. I agree. I always shoot 100iso. Rarely will go up >200 ISO

I'll have to find a camera shop and go investigate.

Thanks again.

you can use dso optics prime to gain a extra stop or so of noise reduction, and the a77 mk2 is probably the best apsc dslr out at the moment, and your using or compairing old low end equipment, the 18 70 wasn't a great lens, our 75 300 isn't to bad, but it is the cheapest telephoto type

a 16-50mm, a77ii, 70-400ii would be very competative, and probably better than canikon in a lot of ways

Thanks for the replies.

I do a lot of fast action photography as my main hobby is motorsport.

I go to a lot of drift/ track events and am taking lots of photos in manual mode.

I want something better than what I have at the moment as sometimes I feel its hard to get a nice shot in low light... no matter how hard I play with the settings..

What is advantage of mirror less then?

Just looking at what you said above you need something with decent auto focus tracking, the Nikon D7100 is an excellent tool in all respects, good in low light, great with high ISO's and the auto focus is almost as good as it gets, for your motor sports you could do a lot worse.

As has already been said, mirrorless systems are lighter and more compact with the latest Olympus and Fuji offerings having very good af capabilities but still not as good as a decent dslr.

I would avoid mirrorless due to no optical viewfinder. Unless you are going for the full Sony A7 kit (with no real lens lineup nor decent AF!) there is really no point getting another small sensor, inconvenient to hold body. There is a very strong crowd with tiny hands that proclaims to have difficulties picking up a modest shopping bag, let alone handholding a previous generation ipad. I would carefully consider that and play with all the cameras in question yourself as much as you can.

Don't forget that most mirrorless have very little lens choice and they are not usually not any cheaper or more expensive if you need a wideangle. My choice would be Nikon for DX, or Canon / Nikon for FF. Don't forget used bodies, and amazing bargains like 1DsII or D700.

I think I have my mind set on a decent DSLR.

just need to save up or keep my eye on for sale adds.

Thanks

Just looked at the A7R.

Price is too high for what I would want to pay.

Back