Canon x2 extender/ 100mm-400m 4.5-5.6 L mk 1 with canon 5ds

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I've for a long while wanted to upgrade my Tamron 150-600mm lens, and looked at 100-400mm L lens, mk1, MK2 aabove budget

But has I now got 2 camera's an &d mk2 and my 5Ds, and I generally use the 5ds more, I was going to team it up with a x2 converter, I know there's a lose of F-stops, which I'm quite surprised by how much to be honest.

But would there be any other issues!

Oh, I be keeping the Tamron lens,

Biggest problem is that with the x2 the lens at 400mm will be f11 and your cameras won't autofocus.

The other issue is to get a decent shot you'll have to use a fast shutter speed, if you have a 1dmk2 you will find the iso has to be pushed so high the images will be horribly noisy. I think you may find the same with the 5Ds neither of these cameras were really geared towards good high iso performance.

Having used both the 1.4 x and the 2 x on a 5D4 I personally prefer the 1.4 x which I often use with the few Canon lenses I have which will accommodate the converters. I don't own the 2 x as I borrowed one and was not thrilled by it. I found that cropping the image to get the same framing as a shot using the 2 x while using the 1.4 yielded the better images. Considering the dynamic range and ISO performance of the 5DS I urge you to try both for yourself. I forgot to mention the lens I based my conclusions on in terms of the converters is the 100-400mk2 L.

Thanks for that..

That was my thoughts, concerning losing the F-stops, means I would have have to push iso not good as you say.

I decided to go for the 1,4 extender, as it appears that this will work as it should, and still be in a reasonable range on F-stops.

@Phrasemaker

Sorry didn't see your reply before I posted.

I almost brought the x2 converter the other day when in the camera shop, I had my 5Ds with me but only my 24-40mm F4 L which of it doesn't fit, I have an 70-200mm f4L said it would work with this one, and the 100-400mm mk 1, didn't say anything about issues with F-stop, how ever they did set up the converter on a white lens, can't be 100% sure now, but sure this was the 100-400mm m1 they had there, and it appeared to work fine in the shop but didn't take it outside though.

I've got a 5d mk3 and the 100-400 mk1, plus the 1.4 and 2x tc.
1.4 works great with it as you still get autofocus at f8.
The 2x I've used in capturing kingfishers at slimbridge. You have to manual focus, but liveview helps with that if you use the zoom on the screen.
However that's at f11 so it's a juggle.
It's a great combination for shooting the moon though :)

If I'm travelling light, I often take the 2x and my 70-200 f2.8is as a good combination compromise.

There's no free lunch with teleconverters. Yes they will give you the extra focal length, but major downsides include one (1.4x) or two (2x) stops of aperture lost, AF either disabled completely or with reduced performance at best, loss of sharpness unless paired with a very sharp mother lens (eg big white prime). Plus you need even faster shutter speeds and any extra shooting distance brings problems with atmospheric pollution.

With the Tamron 150-600 you are already around the realistic maximum. The Sigma 150-600 Sport is a little sharper at 600mm, but not massively and it's a big beast of a lens. It's much better to get closer to the subject than throw extra lens power at it ;)

Back