Canon XF100

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Has any one used the Canon XF100 or XF105. If so what was your opinion of it and the video quality

Has any one used the Canon XF100 or XF105. If so what was your opinion of it and the video quality

Yep,

Really nice camera, slightly worse pictures than it's big brother the XF300/305. But still very good.

Needs setting up initially, but once set up works well. Use the high bitrate option.

Last edited:
Thanks. I got a chance to handle one at Focus and seemed to be ideal for what I wanted. Unfortunately Focus is not the ideal place to do image tests. The guy on the Canon stand was very helpfull. You've really confirmed what he was saying.

Can't justify the C100 that was next to it on the stand though;)

That's one in depth review, thanks

Little concerned over comments re low light, but that's something I need to clarify. as I've ssen some results that are fine. More research :D

The low light performance is related to sensitivity and sensor size.

The XF100 is on a par with similar size and price cameras. Have a read of the reports on cameras of a similar size and price from other manufacturers.

Also, what are you shooting? Can you use day for night techniques? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_for_night

After about 4 hours searching the net, I think I've resolved the issue. I suspect those criticising the XF100 for poor low light capability were expecting it's big brother the XF 305 quality from a smaller camera. Well that's not going to happen . The 305 is a 3 chip compared to the single chip on the 100. Also what they considered to be low light was much lower than I would encounter. My problem would interiors without much additional lighting. I found a clip on the web in similar conditions and it looked fine .Panic over

However this has been a good thing for me as the more I delved into this camera the more I found to like. A dedicated chip for video, not one with lots of MP for stills. Easy customisation and a fairly decent lens, all in a small package.

Only problem is will my iMac handle the large files a 50Mb/sec without me having to take a break whilst it ingests and renders. :)

If the project for this camera comes off, which it looks like it will, I'll be ordering one in a month or so.

Thanks again for you help on this

It's a great camera. I use it (well, the version with SDI out, the xf105) often for static angles in conjunction with the xf305, works great. Brilliant camera for the size. Shame that unlike (iirc) the comparable sony offering, you can't remove the top handle to go even smaller when needed.

I have an XF105 & it is a great little camcorder. The low light capability is OK & in line with similar small sensor prosumer camcorders but not a patch on using a DSLR. I used to own an XF305 & can confirm that image quality is similar. It cuts well with video from my Canon 5D2 & 5D3.

The MXF file format that it records to is basically MPEG2 within a wrapper & hence very lightweight to edit compared to H.264 MPEG4 of a DSLR or AVCHD of some other camcorders.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it is the great camera everyone says it

I'm now waiting on confirmation that the project I'm plan to use it for will go ahead.

Back