Canon100-400 Faulty

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
My lenses auto focus has decided to stop working.
When I try to use it the lens starts to focus, then locks up, the aperture reading goes to 00 (zero,zero).
I've tried it on both bodies and get the same result.

What makes it more disappointing is:
I was at the Farne Islands when it decided to break, so no in flight shots could be captured and some potential crackers were lost due to not having a short enough lens.

Canon will be getting a call tomorrow.

oops typical, i just told someone its a great lens and he should check out the forums and see what it can do

Sorry Andy!!

It still is a great lens.

I have had it for just over 12 months and it has performed well over all of this time.
I expect it to be just like new when I get it back from Canon, and I don't expect to be paying for a repair.
So now its up to Canon to show me what their customer service is like.

Damn that's annoying! I've heard of IS failing on this lens but not autofocus.

Ouch, its typical that it happened to go faulty at the most inopportune time :crying: Have you any idea how long the repair is likely to take?

BTW There is an official Canon repair centre in Stoke on Trent, I don't know if it is the closest to you?

I'll find out tomorrow when I ring.
Lets see if this canon pro membership has a benefit, its supposed to get you fast tracked.
Should get it back within 3 days. Fingers crossed.

Matt said:
I'll find out tomorrow when I ring.
Lets see if this canon pro membership has a benefit, its supposed to get you fast tracked.
Should get it back within 3 days. Fingers crossed.

If you find its going to be away for a while and if you have any photography trips planned that may require a longish lens, give me a shout and you can borrow my 70-200 if that would help? I have no trips planned for the next two weeks anyway so I will not miss it.

Hopefully it won't be away too long but rather than be stuck...

Thanks for the offer Steve,
If they can't fix it quickly they offer a loan service while the repair is being carried out.

CT it may be down to the IS. A while back I had the IS bouncing in the lens, but it only happened the once.
The lens has worked flawlessly since (until I really needed it).

Matt said:
CT it may be down to the IS. A while back I had the IS bouncing in the lens, but it only happened the once.
The lens has worked flawlessly since (until I really needed it).

I wouldn't fancy a lens of this price and complexity being stripped down too far, although if Canon can't do it who can? Looking at the construction of the lens and all those switches on the body, there must be a good chance it's just a faulty switch I would think?

Good luck anyway Matt, I hope you get it sorted rapido!

Thanks Gents.
The lady I spoke to this morning thinks the locking mechanism needs replacing.
I have been told to allow up to the standard 28 days for the repair to be completed. :(
It is still covered under the warrenty terms, as Canon allow for an extra month.

Its gone now so hopefully it won't be too long before it is back.

For future reference, here is the service centres address:

Canon UK RCC
P.O BOX 630
Borehamwood
WD6 9AW

Tel: 02087314134

Was that lens bought in the UK or is it with one those spesh intraweb-ebay international warranties?

Matt said:
Thanks Gents.
The lady I spoke to this morning thinks the locking mechanism needs replacing.
I have been told to allow up to the standard 28 days for the repair to be completed. :(
It is still covered under the warrenty terms, as Canon allow for an extra month.

Its gone now so hopefully it won't be too long before it is back.

For future reference, here is the service centres address:

Canon UK RCC
P.O BOX 630
Borehamwood
WD6 9AW

Tel: 02087314134

Cool, thats just down the road from where i work !

If i ever need to i can drop it in !!!!! :)

Hope its not the full 28 days mate !

Thats tough mate, are they going to look at it straight away to get an initial idea of what is wrong and then let you know?

Whats the situation with a "loan" while yours is away?

Exact same thing happened to my 100-400L IS lens.

I sent it Fasttrak to Canon CPS Service Centre in Elstree and they quoted £190 for repair - replacement IS unit.
It'll take longer than 3 days though, mine took 20 days.

Lens bought from D-Rev and it was repaired under warranty.

Any news on this Matt, have you had an interim report or any idea of how long the repair will take?

I have just been to collect the kids from school and guess who I have just missed, the postman trying to return my lens.

Thats means Canon have had the lens for 4 working days.

not bad service if you ask me.

Nope thats a pretty good turn around of the lens. :)

I am glad you have it back (subject to collecting it)

Пǒ Μάŧę, î'm ĵųşŧ ċőmmēņŧĩŋģ óʼn ĩŁş ŵħęŗę åßőųŧš.

They need proof of address anyway.

No problem buddy, I just thought that if you couldn't make it over to collect it tonight and wanted it back I could have collected it for you ;)

Back