Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
canon_81.gif

Well, it's here. Here are the specs :

Image sensor: 10.1 Effective Megapixel CMOS sensor; 22.2 x 14.8mm effective size
Sensitivity (equivalent film speed): ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 (selectable via ISO Speed menu)
Image compression: Raw / Fine / Normal
Image compression level:confused:till image: JPEG or RAW - simultaneous recording possible
Lens: Canon EF and EF-S series, effective focal length 1.6x
Shutter: Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal plane shutter with electronic control
Shutter speed: 1/4,000 sec. - 30 sec., Bulb; maximum flash sync at 1/200 sec.
Focusing method: TTL-CT-SIR type. Wide area AF with 9 selectable focussing points.
Focusing modes: Autofocus (One-shot AF, Predictive AI Servo AF, One-Shot /Predictive AI Servo AF switching) and Manual Focussing
Light metering method: Evaluative, Partial, and Centre-weighted average metering
Metering range: EV1-EV20
White balance control: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash and Custom
Shooting modes: Program AE, Shutter-priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Depth-of-field AE, Full Auto, Programmed Image Control modes (6), Manual, E-TTL II autoflash Program AE
Continuous shooting speed: 3 frames per sec for up to 27 in a single burst
Self timer: Yes - 10 seconds
Flash (built-in): Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentaprism
Flash guide number (built-in): 13 at 100 ISO (m)
Flash (external): Hot-shoe: X-sync contacts, with EX-series Speedlites: E-TTL II autoflash
Optical viewfinder: Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)
Viewfinder coverage: 95% (vertically and horizontally)
Monitor type: 2.5" TFT colour, liquid crystal monitor - 230,000 pixels
Interface: Digital Terminal: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
Video Output Terminal: NTSC / PAL
Remote Control Terminal: E3-type
Wireless Remote Control for RC-1 and RC-5

Power source: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (type: NB-2LH), AC adapter (type: ACK-700)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 126.5 x 94.2 x 65mm
Weight: Approx. 510gms

canon_400d_01_front.jpg

More detailed specs to follow.

Have a quick browse round the camera here.

Some sample images taken with it, as shown here

(Click for full size / details page)

Anyone know how much. I would of thought it would have to be around the Sony A100 price.:thinking:

Just phoned Warehouse Express to see if they had a price. The guy didn't know anything about it. Anyone know if September 8th is the UK release date or is that just other parts of the world.

So an SRP of £649 body only?

Maybe around 549 actual price then? 649 is way too close to the 30D to make it viable, and 449 of the 350D would make it a roughly halfway marker.

Marcel said:
So an SRP of £649 body only?

Maybe around 549 actual price then? 649 is way too close to the 30D to make it viable, and 449 of the 350D would make it a roughly halfway marker.

Yeah I think your right, £549 body only would bring it in line with Sony.

I can see this being a very viable camera for alot of people, and a worthy replacement for the 350D. I just hope they haven't included *too* much to take away the 30D sales.

Infact, if I didn't have such big hands, I'd be gutted about my recent 30D purchase...lol

making my 300d look a little out of date now...*must....resist....*

Warehouse Express just phoned back, they won't have a price until next week.

I kinda wondered why this wasn't popping up on Dpreview (have an RSS feed) - they usually wait till stuff is confirmed, but they get confirmations really early. Seems they didn't this time and it sounds like they're a bit peeved about that.

Got this link for EOS mag

http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS system folder/EOS system/Digital cameras/EOS 400D/keyfeatures.html

Has some links to the right hand side.

Plus below:

Canon launches EOS 400D

Canon has announced the EOS 400D, a new entry-level digital SLR camera. Features include:
• 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor
• Canon’s EOS Integrated Cleaning System
• 2.5 inch LCD screen with 230K pixels and 160 degree viewing angle
• High-precision 9 point AF system
• Picture Style image processing parameters
• DIGIC II image processor with 0.2 sec start up
• Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software
• Compact and Lightweight body
• Fully compatible with EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites
The camera will be available from late September 2006 at a UK price of £549.99 (body only), or £719.99 as a kit with the EF-S 18-55mm lens. For further details, visit EOS magazine. and follow the links.

The photo in this post shows the mounted lens as the 17-85 IS USM - so mebbe that's being marketed as the main kit lens?

edit : Which would make double sense with Nikon marketing the D80 with the 18-135 AF-S.

Stop press! just had another email from EOS, they got the price wrong :bonk: :bonk: :nono:

Its as people suspected £649 for body only!!

lol @ dpreview. Now they know how it feels for the rest of us who have to wait for the press releases. The file was huge too, loads of info in it

The photo in this post shows the mounted lens as the 17-85 IS USM - so mebbe that's being marketed as the main kit lens?

edit : Which would make double sense with Nikon marketing the D80 with the 18-135 AF-S.
The kit lens for the 400D is still the EF-S 18-55mm

The official Canon 30D launch photos was a 30D with a 85mm F1.2 attached but that didn't mean it came with one in kit form :)

Let me check...

Yup, SDK is right, it seems the 18-55 is still the kit lens.
"The EOS 400D 18-55 kit will be available from late September 2006 for £719.99 RRP inc"

my local "Photo factory" qouted £599.99 with 18-55 lens is this a good price? It will be available on Monday if they are good price might get it.

Jessops had the 400D in this morning. I had a little play with it, the camera that is. Not sure if I like just having the one screen to do everything, it also has a little green led by the on/off switch which seems a bit gimmicky. I also had a look at the D80, very nice. The build quality is so much better, and this coming from a Canon man. Anyway came home with nothing, and still saving my pennies for a 5D.

Jessops had the 400D in this morning. I had a little play with it, the camera that is. Not sure if I like just having the one screen to do everything, it also has a little green led by the on/off switch which seems a bit gimmicky. I also had a look at the D80, very nice. The build quality is so much better, and this coming from a Canon man. Anyway came home with nothing, and still saving my pennies for a 5D.

I've just joined this site to try to help decide whether to get a 400D or pay the extra for a D80. Or to wait for the prices to tumble on the D50 & 350D... :thinking:

To be honest I'm more confused than ever!! :shrug:

its very confusing, the market is currently saturated with DSLR...need to think carefully about what you want the camera for, and how tough you want it to be etc

Going from what's been said on other forums it's unlikely that either the D50 or 350D will come down in price much. The D50 is already in a different price league to most DSLRs already so I can't see it coming down much more TBH. As for the 350D apparently people thought the 300D would come crashing down in price when the 350D was released but because there wasn't many of them left in stock by that point and they were already cheaper than the 350D there wasn't the need to slash the prices in the same way they would have had there been a massive stock to get rid of.

Good luck with your choice though I'm sure you'll be more than happy with whatever you buy as there doesn't seem to be many (if any) bad DSLRs out there.

Back