Can't access meter cupboard!

Edit My Images
No
So despite having a smart meter, after moving supplier, it seems I now have to take manual readings [sigh].

The problem is, I can't open the electricity meter door. The previous owner didn't leave a meter key, but the gas meter lock opens fine with a pair of pliers. However, I can't shift the lock on the electricity meter door. I had a good look at it and it seems to have a piece of metal, like a washer, clamped around the plastic lock (see attached). Any idea what I can do to gain access? Special key required?

IMG_3579.jpg

The meter keys I've had in the past are just triangular sockets. The issue I have is the plastic rod won't turn (I presume) because of the metal piece. Is there a key which somehow turns the metal bit?

The metal piece you see is just a retaining clip, I suspect that it will turn but may require some flexing of the cabinet to achieve it

Is the meter in an outside box or in a house of multiple occupancy?

The circlip rammed in place makes me think of a DIY attempt to stop it being opened, for some reason??? In other words......I cannot perceive of a reason for the electricity supplier/meter reading company to modify the lock???

The metal piece you see is just a retaining clip, I suspect that it will turn but may require some flexing of the cabinet to achieve it

Ah! good point about it actually being a retaining clip...................the proper key will give full 'purchase' on the shaped end.

Is the meter in an outside box or in a house of multiple occupancy?

The circlip rammed in place makes me think of a DIY attempt to stop it being opened, for some reason??? In other words......I cannot perceive of a reason for the electricity supplier/meter reading company to modify the lock???

It's an outside box.

Get a proper key......bodging it with the 'wrong' tool will likely only lead to more frustration ;)

Got it sorted. Think I was just being too gentle in case I broke it. A key's on order!

We have a smart meter and have just changed supplier. The new supplier should be able to come out to you and retask your meter so you don't have to give readings

Just spoken to my new supplier (Shell) and they said they're in the process of taking over smart meters fitted by other suppliers. Mine was installed by British Gas. It's annoying that the display units seem to stop working/refuse to connect to the meter when you move supplier...at least mine has. Not sure if that's normal behaviour or not?

Just spoken to my new supplier (Shell) and they said they're in the process of taking over smart meters fitted by other suppliers. Mine was installed by British Gas. It's annoying that the display units seem to stop working/refuse to connect to the meter when you move supplier...at least mine has. Not sure if that's normal behaviour or not?

We've just moved from EDF to British Gas and the display unit never worked with EDF even. Haven't been able to get BG out to our meter yet as they weren't coming out during lockdown.

From what I’ve heard all the remote displays pack in or refuse to connect eventually.

We inherited gas and electric smart meters when we bought our house recently, both were supplied by British Gas. The display works with the electric meter but ironically not with the gas.

We've just moved from EDF to British Gas and the display unit never worked with EDF even. Haven't been able to get BG out to our meter yet as they weren't coming out during lockdown.
From what I’ve heard all the remote displays pack in or refuse to connect eventually.

We inherited gas and electric smart meters when we bought our house recently, both were supplied by British Gas. The display works with the electric meter but ironically not with the gas.

Sounds like the technology needs to move on to support the fact most people switch suppliers frequently these days.

Ah! good point about it actually being a retaining clip...................the proper key will give full 'purchase' on the shaped end.

£1.00 in Tescos £1.00 section thingy. You'll find a 4 way utility key.

Shell are a nightmare, my app still says I'm switching to them after 9 months. I gave up supplying meter readings because they were often rejected (no heating on in summer so why would I be using gas?) and they seemed fine making up bills as they went along. Account was in credit from another issue with the transfer so left the standing order going and their estimates for the bills. Will get it adjusted when I switch again this summer.

I've been with OVO for about three years now. The meter is dual fuel and connects no issue. Of course, with us being at home instead of our offices this last 12 months I no longer look at the gas usage (heating) as it is depressing.

We have a smart meter and have just changed supplier. The new supplier should be able to come out to you and retask your meter so you don't have to give readings
Depends on the type of meter. The first generation "smart" meters would only work with specified suppliers.

Looking at Meter Box Locks and Latches (meterboxesdirect.co.uk) and our electricity meter cover latch, it looks like the star washer thingy is supposed to be deeper in the hole. The catches can be quite stiff but a little pressure on the edge away from the hinges can relieve the friction a bit. Might take a bit of brute force but replacement doors are available (from the site linked to above) should you actually break it (or even need to break into it.)

Back