Cant Auto Focus with D300

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
A woman I work for uses a Nikon D300 with an AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm G ED Lens with VR.

Well, she cant seem to get the auto focus to work any more, it did work fine but I guess she has set something that had made the lens stop focusing.

The lens works ok with her D70 and I have turned the little S/C/M switch near the lens to C or S but still nothing.
Is there a reset settings?

Hold down the "qual" button and the +/- for 2 seconds to reset camera to defaults.

Thanks, did that but it still doesnt work.

It does AF if I press the AF-ON button but only when I press and hold it down.

Surely its like all cameras where you half press the shutter button and its auto focuses

On the front of the camera is a switch labelled C S M
M is manual focus
C is continual AF
S is single AF

If set to M no way it will AF

EDIT forgot you already mentioned that

There's a custom setting for AF behaviour.

I have my camera configured so it only auto focuses when I have AF-ON set, I don't use the shutter button to auto-focus.

I find it works better that way, as I can work quite a lot faster during action.

Custom settings a5

Shutter AF-ON is default allows af by half depress shutter and af on button
AF-ON only allows AF only on AF button

I have the same lens (not got it with me though)
but isn't there a button on the side of the lens to switch the AF on or off?

I have the same lens (not got it with me though)
but isn't there a button on the side of the lens to switch the AF on or off?

You can override that with the body.

Got it, thanks guys, the custom settings were changed, not sure how she managed to get in there but as least I know how to fix it :)

Another quick question, when i hold the shutter button down, the amount of images left on the card changes to r15, what does this mean?

number of shots that can currently be stored in the on board buffer before writing to cf card.

Useful if shooting at high fps

:agree: with that

time for your friend to get the manual out!

D400?

ahh if only..

Seems like a nice camera compared to the D400, lots more too it and I like the way you have 4 setups where you can change everything quickly.

:LOL: Lol I would think the D400 would be better than the D300, say in 2010?

Back