Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I currently own two DSLR's; a 20d and 400d.

I bought the 20d from a friend a few months back as I had out-grown the 400d and wanted to move onto something more 'advanced'.
I love using it, the top LCD and aperture wheel at the rear is incredibly useful.
My only gripe against it is it's like holding a brick - incredibly heavy and not very nice to hold for long periods of time.

So I'm looking to move onto something bigger and better, so in steps the 60d.
It basically takes all the functionality of the 20d and the look and feel of the 400d.

"Great" I think, I've found the solution to my needs.
So I head into a camera shop at the weekend ready to purchase a 60d and while I'm there I start to play with the 650d, which throws a big spanner in the works!
  • The 650d has the touch screen, which is handy but not a necessity (I love gadgets!). Although I can see that it would come in handy when focusing in video mode.
  • It doesn’t have the aperture wheel or top LCD, which I’ve grown to love.
  • It does have the newer DIGIC 5 processor, which I’m not sure matters much? I won’t be doing much video, 99% will be stills.

The 60d is now getting old, and the 650d has been replaced by the 700d – which from what I can tell is exactly the same as the 650d (minus a few cosmetic changes) and £160 more expensive.

Then on the other hand the 70d is rumoured to be announced shortly, but knowing the way these things go it’ll be £800 and out of budget anyway.

The 7d is sadly out of budget, even if I opted to go for a grey import (which I'm really quite wary about!)

Sorry for the incredibly long post, I’m just a little confused on where to go next..

Will

Edit: Thought I should list my little lens collection: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon EFS 17-85, Tamron 70-300, Canon 70-300 + others (mainly kit lens)

Last edited:
Well I love my 650d but I haven't come from any other DSLR so I didn't have anything to go on before.

The touchscreen is great and I think a lot of people underestimate how good it is and how useful it is. Faster AF and better low light performance would be nice but that can wait until I have a decent selection of lenses :D Not that it's bad to begin with but I always want more lol

I sold my 400d and got the 650d at weekend only just started to play with it but I like it, brought it through quidco 10% cash back through currys

i got the 60d and i love it from what i gather the 650d was more for the video side 60d is more photographic side

I bought the 20d from a friend a few months back as I had out-grown the 400d and wanted to move onto something more 'advanced'.
I love using it, the top LCD and aperture wheel at the rear is incredibly useful.
My only gripe against it is it's like holding a brick - incredibly heavy and not very nice to hold for long periods of time.

sorry but 0.5kg or something like that is nowhere near a decent brick :nono:. I can't imagine that being heavy or you must really struggle taking a bottle of water or a pack of apples with you

Given the launch price of the new 700D, I suspect the 70D to be much more than £800

sorry but 0.5kg or something like that is nowhere near a decent brick :nono:. I can't imagine that being heavy or you must really struggle taking a bottle of water or a pack of apples with you

It seems that the OP finds it too heavy - everybody is different. Is that really difficult to understand?

Well I wasn't expecting a reply like that I must admit :(

With the 17-85mm on the 20d is heavy compared to the 400d with same lens.

I especially feel it if I have both cameras in my bag and am out for the day.. I guess it doesn't help having a degenerative back condition..

You're not the only one Will.

I had a 20D for about 7 years and with a lens fitted I thought it was a little too heavy to carry around all day.

Can't help other than that. These days I use a Micro Four Thirds camera more than my DSLR (I have a 5D now) and the first time I took my MFT camera out with just the one lens I actually had to keep checking that it was still in the bag.

Could the new 100D be an option or even just worth looking at once the price drops to a more realistic level?

Had my 60D for just over a week and I am loving it. Cant really offer much advice as the 60D is basically my first dslr. I did look at the Nikon d7000 but the 60D felt so muc better in my hand.

You can get £65 cash back aswell which I put towards the 50mm 1.8 and I am having a lot of fun.

Damn, misclicked - meant 60D!!

I went from a 7D to a 60D and preferred it - its a great camera, and don't forget Magic Lantern for more features :)

Are you aware of the Canon outlet on ebay for refurb items ? Comes with a 1 yr guarantee from Canon (ignore the ebay squaretrade guff).

Edit: never mind it's only £40 cheaper than amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments and votes people. I had a good think over night and I've decided to go with the 60d :)

After a bit of searching I've found genuine UK stock for £609 from Wex Photographic, with free NBD delivery. Minus £65 Canon Spring Cashback it brings it down to £544.

ProCameraShop sell grey imports for £490 and DigitalRev for £480 so that's a ~£60 difference..

It's a no brainier if you ask me! :D

The 60D is a great body, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

I especially feel it if I have both cameras in my bag and am out for the day.. I guess it doesn't help having a degenerative back condition..

Carrying 2 camera is probably the source of your problem. Don't carry all the gear, only carry the minimal amount of gear. Buy a smaller bag and use it to limit yourself if you must.

The 60D is an amazing camera! I absolutely adore mine, found the 7D too heavy and the 600/650D felt too much like a toy to me (though I came from a canon sx30 is lol)...

Having the same dilemana....I had settled on the 650D, but the 60D had a great price through WEX.

I sold my 400d and got the 650d at weekend only just started to play with it but I like it, brought it through quidco 10% cash back through currys

Was this a special deal, it's 1.5% now

Last edited:
Whatever you buy in a few months something new will be launched.. so don't wait - just buy.. otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next one thats only a couple of months away... forever..

Whatever you buy in a few months something new will be launched.. so don't wait - just buy.. otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next one that's only a couple of months away... forever..

Good point, I guess I was just waiting to see if something new-new was released.. Canon have been hanging onto their current sensor for years, something new has to come along soon, surely? :shake:

I've just realised that TopCashBack give 3% on WEX orders too (y)

You can get a 60D from Hdew Cameras for a good price and you'll get a 3 year warranty with it too. http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-60d-camera-body-554-p.asp They are a UK based shop that sell imports but all the duty and VAT is paid. I've bought a 5D2 and 24-105 kit and a 5D3 body only off them and got great service from them.

I had a 60D and I found it to be a great camera. I swapped mine for a 7D for the faster AF system but I found the SOOC shots from the 60D to be better than the 7D. The wife has a 650D which she loves but I find it a bit fiddly to use as I'm used to the ergonomics of the xxD and xD bodies, but it does take a damn good photo though. I'm thinking of changing my 7D to a 70D when it's released, if its features are as good as some of the rumours reckon. I just find my 7d is a bit too 'noisy' for me, specially at higher ISO's.

Wishing you hadn't posted that link now... That's quite a bit cheaper :(

On the plus side the camera is being delivered tomorrow, all ready for a full day of use on Thursday :)

I'm the current owner of a 40D and have been after a 7D or 60D for a while now. I'd love a little more quality with higher ISO shooting as the 40D struggles above 800 (IMO).

I'm going to wait until the next press release which I understand is on 23rd April, as there's a good chance the 70D and or 7D MkII could be released. If there of little improvement then the previous models will be discounted.

Back