Can't decide - which lens?

Name
Ellie
Edit My Images
Yes
I have funds for a new lens :clap:

Hubby is buying me a Nikon AF-S 80-200 2.8 but now I'm undecided between a Nikon 50mm 1.4G and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G - would love the Nikon 85mm 1.4 but funds don't run into those figures!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If it were me, I'd go with the 50mm purely because the 85mm would overlap the 80-200mm.

If you are going for a 50mm f1.4 i would be tempted to go with the 50mm f1.8 leaving enough money for the 35mm f1.8 too. Not sure what you shoot but i find the 35mm focal length much more useful than a 50mm on a crop sensor camera like yours and mine.

Last edited:
I've already got the 35mm f1.8 plus a Tamron 17-50 f2.8

The only other lens I'd like is the 105mm f2.8 purely for fun as I'm interested in macro although I mainly do pet portraits

Last edited:
You are pretty well covered from 17 up to 200 with some nice glass. The 85mm is a very nice portrait lens, even on DX but can sometimes be a little long if indoors. Both the 50mm 1.8 & 1.4 are nice lenses, if you have no specific need for f1.4 then the f1.8 version is in my view a better buy. The 17-50 tammy will cover most 50mm needs though ...

One worth thinking about is the Tamron 60mm f2 macro lens - it is a really nice portrait lens on DX and a good macro lens - it is DX only though. Also a UWA lens like a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 - lovely lens this.

Me I would go for the 50mm F1.4,with the range you have already got I think the 50mm would be the best buy :)

I'd echo the thoughts of the others too. Get the 50mm f1.4 unless you know you have a specific need for 85mm you'll end up debating which lens and miss the shot.

I have funds for a new lens :clap:

Hubby is buying me a Nikon AF-S 80-200 2.8 but now I'm undecided between a Nikon 50mm 1.4G and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G - would love the Nikon 85mm 1.4 but funds don't run into those figures!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Wait till you get the new zoom and have had a chance to use it. You will have both 50mm and 85mm covered either way so the question is really which focal length you want with a very low f/number.

Back