Can't uninstall Edge

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Nope, it's not a question, it's a statement.....

Microsoft have recently announced that the new version of Edge which they started rolling out 7 months ago cannot be uninstalled.

The new version of Microsoft Edge gives users full control over importing personal data from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge. The new version of Microsoft Edge is included in a Windows system update, so the option to uninstall it or use the legacy version of Microsoft Edge will no longer be available.

Wow.

(Of course you can tinker with stuff and make it hide or even brute force remove it but if you break your Win10 box there's no point crying to M$)

Just delete the Edge icon from your desktop and use Firefox or Chrome instead.

I dont really have an issue with it.

It’ll become MS default browser and it’s pretty important that the average uneducated user can’t accidentally delete all browsers from a system.

In a sense, a return to default presence of IE.......until the EU took MS to court over that "position".....because it made using other browsers more difficult to use (or at least that is roughly how I recall it ;) )

Now other browsers work as needed and can be made the "default" as/if desired.

I use Firefox, but having Edge on my laptop doesn't bother me. I just ignore it. :)

The absolute rotters, forcing people to use a more standards-compliant browser to download Chrome/Firefox/Opera/etc

I dont really have an issue with it.

It’ll become MS default browser and it’s pretty important that the average uneducated user can’t accidentally delete all browsers from a system.

Now you put it like that - it seems sensible. Although the correct way might be to refuse to uninstall the default browser.

It probably doesn't matter - but there is all kinds of talk about the stuff the Microsoft want to do with our data. I don't think they really want to buy Tic Tok to protect America from it.....

Just as you cant uninstall google chrome from android devices or uninstall Safari from Apple devices.

Yeah good point.

In a sense, a return to default presence of IE.......until the EU took MS to court over that "position".....because it made using other browsers more difficult to use (or at least that is roughly how I recall it ;) )

That's why I was surprised at this move. IIRC it cost them a *lot* of money to force people to have IE.

If you really want to disable Edge just search out msedge.exe and change the extender to .zzz and it'll never load, even secretly in the background.

Back