Canvas Printing Tutorials

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Iv recently purchased a canon pixma pro 1 with a view to printing my own images for clients. The printer has a canvas print option that Id love to try, Iv searched the web but cant find much info on printing and mounting my own canvases, has anybody got any tips or can point me in the direction of an idiots guide somewhere?
Thanks in advance
Alan

Last edited:
Hello Paul, thanks mate...Iv been failing miserably in my searches! appreciate your help
Do you print to canvas yourself? Iv looked at the permajet site and they quote a 10 pack of A4 canvas at £20 and a single A3+ of the same canvas at £48??
Any more tips and hints from home printers?

You're not going to get a very good sized canvas from an A3 sheet of paper. It will be tiny in-fact.

If you're still looking to go ahead there's not much too it. You need to buy stretcher bars that are the correct size for your paper width, taking into consideration the amount that the canvas will need to go around the edges. You will staple the canvas to the bars using a staple gun whilst stretching the canvas slightly using a stretcher tool. It takes a bit of practice folding the corners in correctly but it's not rocket science.

Thanks Connersz, Iv been burning up the web for the last hour or so and its all starting to come together in my head, seems pretty straightforward and actually so far seems cheaper than Id imagined. Just looking at the A3, my maximum print size, what would be the largest sized canvas I could get from a print of that size...ie. what size spreader bars would I need? Im trying to get a base price to me for an A3
Thanks for your advice

I don't print to canvas (well not very often), I mainly print on fibre based papers. Your Pixma Pro 1 will print to A3+ which is somewhat larger than A3, it will also take manual fed papers (and canvas) and using this option (the rear feed I think it is - I have an Epson printer now) you can define custom sizes larger than A3+ limited to a width of 35cm - I think you can go as long as 1.5m but you would need to check ...

Wow...I really like that reply, looks like I need to do some more homework but the potential for some nice big canvases is there! Excellent, thank you :)

I don't print to canvas (well not very often), I mainly print on fibre based papers. Your Pixma Pro 1 will print to A3+ which is somewhat larger than A3, it will also take manual fed papers (and canvas) and using this option (the rear feed I think it is - I have an Epson printer now) you can define custom sizes larger than A3+ limited to a width of 35cm - I think you can go as long as 1.5m but you would need to check ...
I may be wrong but I'm not sure you can do 1.5m on any of the Canon Pro-X printers. I don't think they have support for a roll holder either but like I say, I may be wrong. I have a Pro100 and quite sure it can't do any of that.

Thanks Connersz, Iv been burning up the web for the last hour or so and its all starting to come together in my head, seems pretty straightforward and actually so far seems cheaper than Id imagined. Just looking at the A3, my maximum print size, what would be the largest sized canvas I could get from a print of that size...ie. what size spreader bars would I need? Im trying to get a base price to me for an A3
Thanks for your advice
Probably 8x12"

I may be wrong but I'm not sure you can do 1.5m on any of the Canon Pro-X printers. I don't think they have support for a roll holder either but like I say, I may be wrong. I have a Pro100 and quite sure it can't do any of that.
You may well be right, hence why I said the OP would need to check. It has been a while since I owned and used any of the Canon range of printers, with the Epsons, you can print very long prints if you really wanted to ;) You are right though, the Pro 1 doesn't have a roll feed option, which was the main reason I changed to Epson.

You may well be right, hence why I said the OP would need to check. It has been a while since I owned and used any of the Canon range of printers, with the Epsons, you can print very long prints if you really wanted to ;) You are right though, the Pro 1 doesn't have a roll feed option, which was the main reason I changed to Epson.
I can't see a massive amount of point in having a roll holder on such a small printer anyway. Why would you want a really long print?

Thanks lads, I read somewhere that I was limited because I had no roller, now I know why! Excuse the noob, its my first printer and Im so not up to speed on it! Panos would be nice, I do them for my own pleasure but Its childrens photography and weddings where Im hoping to sell my canvases. The printer does A3+ I really dont know what the + represents to be honest. Im going to look on my printer menu now to see if it specifies a size but I think it just says A3.
I really appreciate your input and time, you've helped no end

A3 paper = 11.75" x 16.5" or 297mm x 420mm
A3+ paper = 13" x 19" or 329mm x 483mm

For a first printer it is a belter, capable of producing lovely prints. I'd advise getting a few test packs of paper in due course to see the difference it can make and also look into profiles and such (as and when time permits - but it is definitely worth the effort imo/e).

Iv tried and and printed some beautiful prints with it using the freeeeee paper that came with it, a 50 pack of A3 permajet Oyster. Iv not used, or indeed sussed the ICC profiles but when I do I will try the top of the range canon paper that Iv seen recommended everywhere.
Can I just tap into your knowledge for a little longer? If the biggest I can print is A3+ (13" X 19") what would be the biggest I could expect to print a canvas allowing for the stretching and framing....ie, what size stretcher bars? Thanks so much for your time

Iv tried and and printed some beautiful prints with it using the freeeeee paper that came with it, a 50 pack of A3 permajet Oyster. Iv not used, or indeed sussed the ICC profiles but when I do I will try the top of the range canon paper that Iv seen recommended everywhere.
Can I just tap into your knowledge for a little longer? If the biggest I can print is A3+ (13" X 19") what would be the biggest I could expect to print a canvas allowing for the stretching and framing....ie, what size stretcher bars? Thanks so much for your time
Probably 10x15" with 20mm stretch bars.

Really? Im thinking the extra little bit in size would make them much more salable, I didnt realise just how much size Id be losing with the framing!

Really? Im thinking the extra little bit in size would make them much more salable, I didnt realise just how much size Id be losing with the framing!
Well the thing to remember is you have to stretch the canvas over and around the frame, take a look at the video above and see how much overlap there is there, at 8" x 12" on A3 you will have just enough to grip comfortably and stretch over the frame. The canvas doesn't stretch much btw ... you could maybe go up an inch or so except I don't think the ready made bars come in 13" size so you'd have to go to 14" which would leave you with 2.5" to work with each side (on A3+), which may be enough. I'd go for decent sized bars though, probably the 38mm gallery type but your mileage may vary :)

Im a little disappointed to be honest, I totally overlooked this! Iv just priced up for 25 A3 frames and Canvases and its coming up around 1.88 each, which is great but at 8x12 Im not sure how many I could sell. I get what your saying about the bigger size, the site Im checking only does 12" or 14", using a 38mm bar would compound the issue even more! Im starting to think it may be a non starter to do my own....but on the plus side I now know I can print a little larger with the A3+ on photo paper :)

Im a little disappointed to be honest, I totally overlooked this! Iv just priced up for 25 A3 frames and Canvases and its coming up around 1.88 each, which is great but at 8x12 Im not sure how many I could sell. I get what your saying about the bigger size, the site Im checking only does 12" or 14", using a 38mm bar would compound the issue even more! Im starting to think it may be a non starter to do my own....but on the plus side I now know I can print a little larger with the A3+ on photo paper :)
You need a bigger printer for canvases. Popular sizes are 20x16+

Yeah...shame but it was a bonus to do canvas anyway, I may have a go with some but I dont think there would be a huge demand... I can concentrate on quality paper prints now instead :whistle:
Appreciate your help and time mate, thank you

Best tip I can give you is to use a professional, like Ben from trade canvas print. It is not easy to hand stretch a canvas and you should also be laminating or varnishing before stretching to stop the ink cracking and rubbing

Yeah...shame but it was a bonus to do canvas anyway, I may have a go with some but I dont think there would be a huge demand... I can concentrate on quality paper prints now instead :whistle:
Appreciate your help and time mate, thank you
Another problem is that once you offer the small canvas, someone will start asking for prices of the bigger ones, at which point you will need to start using another supplier.

Thanks for all your help fellas, I'll definately outsource.
Sorry for the delay...just got back from a week in Lanzarote :banana:

Back