Capri

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Ah the Crapi as my mates always called it at school.

They don't make cars with these lines any more sadly.

Do you do much "pp" to your images Nige - other than trying to get the colours right? It would have been so tempting to punch the oranges, but the muted natural look is more dignified somehow. Really like frame 4.

Ah the Crapi as my mates always called it at school.

They don't make cars with these lines any more sadly.

Do you do much "pp" to your images Nige - other than trying to get the colours right? It would have been so tempting to punch the oranges, but the muted natural look is more dignified somehow. Really like frame 4.

Thanks Ian.

These were converted to positives using Grain2Pixel, which seems to do a really nice job on Colorplus. After that I run some minor tweaks in Lightroom (I have a preset that I created to speed things up) but these are minor - a bit of clarity added and some reduction in the blue and purple channels. Other than that, they're untouched. I rarely do anything with the saturation / vibrance on film photos (or even the colour sliders) unless something doesn't look "right". It tends to be slide film where I'll do more of this because, well, slide film... :)

I owned several of these many decades ago. I thought it was the nearest I would get to a sporty car. Oddly I could afford to buy a sports car now but do not desire one; I prefer comfort and reliability now.

Dave

That would make a good restoration project for someone.
Bumper on and resprayed black, front and back, a rub down with T Cut and alloys refurbed
Sorted!!

I almost bought a Capri but I hesitated to long and it was sold when I finally made up my mind.
Bought a Cortina 2L Ghia instead - Pale Blue metallic with a black vinyl roof.
Those were the days :giggle:

Last edited:
I remember they made a 2.8litre version that was a nice engine but the chassis flexed and the brakes didn't live up to their name but it had a lovely sporty look.

It was mainly for the look. I owned a second hand 2L Daytona Yellow with Black Vinyl roof but would have preferred to have owned an E Type Jag but out of the question. My wife was very keen on this Capri and once drove it at over 100mph (along an Autobahn).

When negotiating with the Ford agent, I knew he was keen to make a sale as it was the end of the month but told my wife to pretend she hated the colour so I could get the price down. She played her part well and once I reached the point where I had got as good a deal as he would give, I had great difficulty in getting her to give a begrudging OK.

Dave

I had a Mk1 Facelift 2000GT, white with black vinyl roof. Really liked that car.

...I prefer comfort and reliability now.

Dave

Comfort and reliability, sums me up in a nutshell!

I remember they made a 2.8litre version that was a nice engine but the chassis flexed
Cracking cars those Capri's (y)
The 2.8 is ( injection special ) was a totally different animal ( and I use the word deliberately)from the 2.8i
It was far superior.

I've had most marks of 3.0L Capri's and latterly both versions of the 2.8's over the years, manual and auto the only one I never got was the brooklands special.
It was way out of my price range, back then, and still is today.

The 2.8 is ( injection special ) was a totally different animal ( and I use the word deliberately)from the 2.8i
It was far superior.

I've had most marks of 3.0L Capri's and latterly both versions of the 2.8's over the years, manual and auto the only one I never got was the brooklands special.

I completely forgotten about the 3.0l variants.

I'll have to Google the 2.8 IS (y)

It was far superior.

I owned a Ford Capri 3 litre S in burnt orange- I had a full sandbag in the boot to keep the back down on wet roundabouts :)

As I recall it had tripple 40 weber carbs and I saw a set on a motoring forum with linkage going for a mere £1,200

wEck58b.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a full sandbag in the boot to keep the back down on wet roundabouts
Yeah I understand that some had to do that, the real men however had more control over their cars,
living in the land of roundabouts, you quickly learned :p

I had a forest of mushrooms growing under the front seats of my Cortina due to damp and water ingress.
Wasn't too bad in the winter when I could lift sheets of ice off the carpets.
In the end, I knocked a hole in the floor to let the water drain out :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The joys of owning a Ford back then.

Oh, and one key fitted all Cortinas :confused:

Last edited:
I used the sandbag trick in the winter in my Ford Granada. Yep, even a Granada could get the back end to swing round, and it didn't always need snow. :cool:

Yeah I understand that some had to do that, the real men however had more control over their cars,
living in the land of roundabouts, you quickly learned :p

I have control Chris when I had my Capri 3.0 it just hated roundabouts in the wet :) - ( Don't mention my wrecked M5 though) :police::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les

Capris and short people don't mix, I could hardly see the end of the bonnet :rolleyes: :D

when I had my Capri 3.0 it just hated roundabouts in the wet
They are a thing of beauty, just waiting to be tamed.
Sand bags not required at any point if you know how to drive them ( wet roundabouts and Capri's do mix (y) )
:p

They are a thing of beauty, just waiting to be tamed.
Sand bags not required at any point if you know how to drive them ( wet roundabouts and Capri's do mix (y) )
:p

I was young when I had my Capri - and it was the done thing, needless to say I don't need them in my X Trail :)

and it was the done thing
I suspect that Milton Keynes is the reason that driving instructors now say "Go around the roundabout taking the 2nd exit"
Rather than "straight across the roundabout"
Many still manage it though, despite plenty of them being raised and landscaped with trees and bushes :D

I suspect that Milton Keynes is the reason that driving instructors now say "Go around the roundabout taking the 2nd exit"
Rather than "straight across the roundabout"
Many still manage it though, despite plenty of them being raised and landscaped with trees and bushes :D

I went to Milton Keys once- it was closed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I had a Capri in the 80s, I loved the car as it went around corners just lovely. Two idiots wanted to see what was quickest, my Capri or a Chrysler Alpine.
Both were written off, during this quick test. :mad:

Back