Capturing an Urban Fox, i need foxcraft!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
One of our nightshift guys at work mentioned that we have a fox that appears everynight at almost the same time (must have a watch on!) running the same route (as it's the only way through one side of our yard).

Now i think i can probably hide up within a few meters of where it passes out of the gate so i should be able to get into a good position for a photo. the light won't be great (there is a bit of street lighting) so i'm not sure on the best course of action to capture him as i guess he'll be moving quickly!

I do have a flash, would it be best to use that or try and lay down some food over a few nights to try and get him used to stopping in an area?

I might visit without my camera to see if i can spot him and his route first.

Any other suggestions?

He might be a bit wary (and therefore slower) if he can smell your presence anyway..but food always helps! I wouldn't leave too much, just a small tit bit, that he could stumble across anywhere, other wise he might end up becoming dependant.

why not find his exact route ,then find a nice spot along the route where you would like to take shots and bait that area.they love custard creams

If you "visit without your camera" you know it will turn up and stand posing for 10 mins in perfect lighting :) Take it with you when you check it's route.

If you "visit without your camera" you know it will turn up and stand posing for 10 mins in perfect lighting :) Take it with you when you check it's route.

This man very much speaks the truth....I can see it now, it's Friday 19th December 2008, I log on to Talk Photography, and there it is..."I found a fox but didn't have my camera...." with 85 views and 85 replies, all with :LOL: in them!

:p

EnglishwildlifecentreLingfield091Me.jpg

EnglishwildlifecentreLingfield085.jpg

I cheat!!!

Realspeed

Good Point, it would probably be snowing and make a beautiful shot too :D

Realspeed - that's funny, i don't really want him to become that friendly as i'll need a wider lens!!

MAK

This was taken at Lingfield wildlife centre in Sussex (UK) it was a special photo shoot day for amature photographers max 15 people. We actually went into the compound ,as you can see. I even had one nibbling my finger they were that friendly. An absolutely fabulous day out.

Realspeed

Some cracking shots here, but don't talk to me about foxes, we have free range hens - but not as many as we used to have, thanks to Mr. Fox...:crying:

As for shooting them, never tried it with a camera but I can recommend a .380 (for situations when you'd use a tele lens) and a shotgun for when you'd use a standard lens.
As for lighting it, just a lamp that fixes to the barrel:LOL:

Make a hide downwind and find a few scraps of meat the smellier the better .
Or rub a piece of polestiereen on a mirror , I can almost guauentee he will come running.
Garry i preffer a 243 .
We have a massive problem with foxes in my area , never seem to get on top of them.
Beutifull animal would always like to see few about.
Guid health:beer:

Make a hide downwind and find a few scraps of meat the smellier the better .
Or rub a piece of polestiereen on a mirror , I can almost guauentee he will come running.
Garry i preffer a 243 .
We have a massive problem with foxes in my area , never seem to get on top of them.
Beutifull animal would always like to see few about.
Guid health:beer:

I agree a .243 is fine for the job and cheaper to run - but I don't have one...
At least, with a .380 it's a guaranteed instant kill.
Personally I like to live and let live, but people in towns just don't understand the size of the rural fox problem - especially when mixi has killed off all the rabbits, leaving the foxes to starve, which makes the hens even more vulnerable

Shouldn't that be a 308? A bit of overkill methinks for foxes! 180 grains of Mr Hornady/Speer/Noslers finest at 2850fps......223 is plenty, and quieter and cheaper again.

Anyway - for your fox that is at work....tin of catfood with holes punched in it with a skewer....it will take him/her ages trying to work out how to get at the contents - without feeding it. A bit of juice will runout, to give them the taste....but because the tin isn't open they can't actually eat it and being foxes this will make them want to work out how to get in.

Shouldn't that be a 308? A bit of overkill methinks for foxes! 180 grains of Mr Hornady/Speer/Noslers finest at 2850fps......223 is plenty, and quieter and cheaper again.

Anyway - for your fox that is at work....tin of catfood with holes punched in it with a skewer....it will take him/her ages trying to work out how to get at the contents - without feeding it. A bit of juice will runout, to give them the taste....but because the tin isn't open they can't actually eat it and being foxes this will make them want to work out how to get in.

Yes, of course it's a.308 - and I wrote 380 twice!:LOL: Very good tip about the inaccessible tin, it works with rats too - not that I photograph rats either...

I spent a few night shifts using the cctv at work following our 2 resident reynards and plotting where to set up. Eventually got my spec set up and spent half the night talking to my self they were a no show. Headed back to lodge and the little b***** were having a good feed out the canteen waste, as i wandered round corner. Will try the cat food now though, baiting over a night or 2 a dead mickey if i can pot one on qt. Did nearly fall over factory cat though, what a beast. cctv proves large security officer beats 100 mtr olympic record record ginger moggy close 2nd. slamming door holds it off. If i ever see it with a tripod :bat:

Ah, I've found a photoforum where not all animal photographers are bunny huggers! Deep joy and common sense in roughly equal measure.

Put me right, but doesn't the Home Office Guidance on Firearms list 6.5 as the largest "acceptable" calibre for foxes?

From a practical point of view (unless you're out stalking at the time) .308 is a bit ott. Also it's not a particularly flat shooting cartridge unless you go down the bullet weight.

Far better, nay, far far better to stick with a nice flat shooting round, like my .22/250:clap::clap:

Ah, I've found a photoforum where not all animal photographers are bunny huggers! Deep joy and common sense in roughly equal measure.

Put me right, but doesn't the Home Office Guidance on Firearms list 6.5 as the largest "acceptable" calibre for foxes?

From a practical point of view (unless you're out stalking at the time) .308 is a bit ott. Also it's not a particularly flat shooting cartridge unless you go down the bullet weight.

Far better, nay, far far better to stick with a nice flat shooting round, like my .22/250:clap::clap:

Yes, a .308 is definately a bit OTT and a round with a flat trajectory is obviously better for just about any kind of variable distance use. But the problem is that the 'experts' decide on what is or is not suitable, not the people who have actually done it for themselves. The real experts (the army) are 50 years ahead of the police but unfortunately it isn't the army who are in charge of S.1 certificates.

At the end of the day, a good shot doesn't waste ammo and doesn't risk a shot that may not kill cleanly, so IMO someone who is trusted to have the firearm in the first place should be trusted to use it humanely, and even a .22 LF is more than enough for Mr. Fox when he presents a clear target.

Back