Capturing Stills from Video on Canon EOS....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have no experience in shooting video and am considering the new Canon 70D which is being hailed as very good for video.

I am thinking that I could use its video mode to shoot a favourite subject - Dragonflies in flight. I would then want to extract stills from the video and ideally as RAW files.

Can anyone advise me if this is possible, please? Many Thanks :)

Forget about it. All you will get is small (1920x1080) JPEG. If you shoot properly (1/50s) it will be blurry as hell as well.

Or you could by RED camera and shoot 4K RAW video. You may need to sell your car and kids, but thats a small price to pay for a few dragonflies video pull frames :) :LOL:

I would then want to extract stills from the video and ideally as RAW files.
You can't make a RAW file from a captured frame from an .MOV which has h.64 mpeg-4 compression, basically they are JPEG files.
As the poster above says, you will be getting 2Mp files.

Thanks for your help, guys. Obviously my idea of capturing stills from DSLR video footage is not worthwhile.

If Video is your main interest buy a good Camcorder, one with the ability to take Photos whilst Filming.
The photo was taken with a Panosonic Camcorder.View attachment 757

Thanks Lennard but video is not my interest at all - I have never ever shot any video. I was only thinking about the potential of using the Canon 70D's video capability and whether its video would be useful to capture fast flying Dragonflies to then subsequently extract stills.

Better that I focus on tracking and burst shots for the subject.

If Video is your main interest buy a good Camcorder, one with the ability to take Photos whilst Filming.
The photo was taken with a Panosonic Camcorder.View attachment 757

Are you really happy with this as a still?

Back